Stainless Steel Hydraulic Fitting

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Stainless Steel Hydraulic Fitting

Post by dazz » Sat 27 Apr , 2013 7:04 am

Hello

This is a post for those like me that read how difficult it is to machine stainless steel grade 316.

Here is a hydraulic fitting I made for my racing kart. It allows a pressure sensor to be fitted to the brake line. This data is recorded by my Aimsports Mychron 4 data logger.

The adapter has a 1/8 female NPT, 1/8 male BSPP and 1/8 male BSPT ports. A standard adapter with this combination is not available. I originally used an assembly of standard adapters but these had high points that made it almost impossible to bleed the brakes. This adapter is has an offset through hole to allow any air bubbles to rise to a high point from where they will bleed out down the line.

I made this from SS316 because I needed something that wasn't going to rust and that's what I had in my metal stocks.
I was fully expecting to screw up and convert this into a small paper weight but it all went well.

I used hex bar which made the job a lot easier than it would have been with round stock. I was able to accurately index 90 degree rotations with ease.

I started with the operation I thought most likely to fail so if that happened, I wouldn't lose much investment in time. That being the 3.5mm through hole. I had no problems drilling this.

To achieve success I used:
sharp HSS tools,
cutting oil,
slow speed (~60rpm)
high feed ( ~4 thou)
high depth of cut (10-25 thou)
power feed to avoid any dwell.

These techniques avoided tool killing work hardening.

Finish was very good with the right cutting conditions.
I found that a very slow cutting speed (~12rpm) caused the metal to tear away leaving a poor finish.

The swarf is long, stringy, strong and very very sharp. I have the scar to prove it.
Attachments
IMG_2540 (600 x 450).jpg
The hexagonal stock made it easy to index the workpiece as each port was machined. Note that the hole is intentionally off centre in two directions.
IMG_2540 (600 x 450).jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
IMG_2552a (600 x 465).jpg
A general view of the finished adapter.
IMG_2552a (600 x 465).jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
IMG_2550a (600 x 415).jpg
The through hole is intentionally offset to make it easier to bleed the brakes.
IMG_2550a (600 x 415).jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
IMG_2553 (600 x 450).jpg
The hydraulic adapter fitted to the kart brake system.
IMG_2553 (600 x 450).jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
Regards

Dazz

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Stainless Steel Hydraulic Fitting

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 29 Apr , 2013 9:43 am

Looks great!
The swarf is long, stringy, strong and very very sharp. I have the scar to prove it
Lethal stuff that you stupidly think will be ok to move by hand

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: Stainless Steel Hydraulic Fitting

Post by dazz » Mon 29 Apr , 2013 22:48 pm

Hi
I found that if I focused on keeping the temperature down and the tool cutting then SS is OK to machine.
The nice finish and properties of SS316/304 justify the extra effort.

To keep the swarf clear, I grabbed the end with long nose pliers as it came off the tool and pulled it away from the lathe.
Regards

Dazz