viceroy 280VS, lots of pics

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

chrisG

viceroy 280VS, lots of pics

Post by chrisG » Fri 23 Jan , 2009 23:46 pm

well i started a thread on another forum about this and just noticed a project section here so thought some people may be interested :)

first off i bought the lathe on ebay, and it was 250 miles away. you hear all the horror stories about buying unseen machines, this is turning into one of them :lol:

here it is arriving on the back of a transit dropside

we had split the lathe and cabinet to make it easier to handle, very glad i did! would of been a hairy drive home in the horiontal rain with a top heavy machine in the back
cabinet + old man

and the lathe
not the best way to lift it with the stap round the leadscrew like that but was the only way, did pack it out with wood to stop any deflection though ad it still turns :wink:

then it was time to address the problems...
1. guy said the screwcutting box was stiff through lack of use, had a look before i handed the cash over. couldnt see any missing teeth so fine

2. no coolant pump, switch or contactor. fine must of been a budget model or something

3. tachometer not working

4. lots of backlash in the topslide

well someones been telling fibs
when i got the lathe back i looked a little deeper.....

can you tell what it is yet? :shock:
the key the lead screw/power feed selector gear slides along was bent like a bananna! and this key also locks the gear that transfers power to the shaft so the gear was spinning free on the shaft

theory is that someone has had the power feed going, then engaged the clasp nuts and locked the saddle = crunch! although there should be an aluminium shear key to prevent such disasters :roll:

so im left with an empty gearbox
and a couple of bits

i hammered and filed the key flat again but it had damaged itself and the shaft quite a bit, looks like the first job for the lathe is to turn itself a new shaft

back in the gearbox

can just see the now straight key and the gear that slides along it, as well as the power transfer gear thats also held by the key

another problem was the other selector mechanism was a bit siezed, so striped it
can just see the damage by the detent holes, a quick file and a polish the thing was sliding again

the old taper pin took a beating coming out so had to fit a new one, by sheer jammy luck i had bought a box of 3/16'' taper pins the month before

needs trimming....

shaft back in and the selectors all selecting :D

more gears

a point to note if anyones going to stirp a viceroy 280 gearbox (never know) imperial grub screws! sneaky beggers

another slidey selector

well got the gearbox sorted! thought i was going mad but turns out the dial is wrong! someones been at this lathe big style :? need to go buy a deerstalker hat and a pipe me thinks

here is what i mean

now for this box to work the numbers on the lever and the dial need to match, but as can be seen the dial is at 2 and the lever at 1. this is in fact gear 1, either someone has replaced it with a dial from another machine with the pin in the wrong place or its one of the dials from the top of the gearbox.

also found the aluminium shear key
very much un damaged and definatly still aluminium, it lives behind the gears atached to the gearbox shaft. spent the rest of the day rearanging everything and shfting the lathe to its final resting position

very long first post but its about 2 weeks work in one go :lol:
also everyone seems to have uploaded ther pics to the denford server, is this preferable or is it ok to just insert the pics as i have done? saves server space :)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 26 Jan , 2009 9:51 am

Thanks for taking the time to post up your story - I'm not bothered where you put the pictures - its up to you.
The only worries I'd have with 3rd party hosting is if the company happened to go under, lose your photos or have some kind of pruning of old files.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Mon 26 Jan , 2009 15:14 pm

There is also a problem for anyone who has selected blocking through company systems to view hosted pictures - photo sharing and video streaming sites are generally the first to be blocked....