Another Viceroy TDS1/1GB

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

thyratron

Another Viceroy TDS1/1GB

Post by thyratron » Wed 16 Jul , 2008 20:50 pm

Hi,
I've just bought a rather sad and neglected metric TDS1/1GB.
However most of the apparent rust, turns out to be just filthy, oily grime.
Which I'm slowly trying to remove. It came with a five inch Elliot three jaw, a five inch Elliot four jaw, and a six inch Burnard fourjaw. All pristine, under the grime. I'm missing a 35t changewheel from the set in the gear compartment, and the fixed rest that came with it appears to be a Boxford.
Although I could adapt the steady, It seems to me, that it would be a shame to deprive some Boxford owner of the correct one for his lathe.
There was also a set/part set of Boxford changewheels, which also ought to go to a Boxford owner. It's a shame how lathe bits get split up like they do.
This lathe is much bigger than I am used to. I have a Drummond round bed. The consequence is I have to clear out my shed to house this. :shock:
I need to paint the lathe to smarten it up, but I baulk at stripping it right down to spray it. I assume the original paint used was supplied by Manor coatings also?
I really need a paint I can brush on. As Hammerite is unobtainable in the specific blue, I'm thinking of mixing their blue hammer with either smooth white, or smooth silver (or both), to see if I can achieve a near match.
I'll let you know the outcome.
I'm off now to the Boxford forum to see who has my steady and 35tooth changewheel. :x :wink:

Paul

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 18 Jul , 2008 8:28 am

Good Luck :lol:

Dont think they have a forum :!:

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Fri 18 Jul , 2008 12:22 pm

There is a Yahoo Group for Boxfords, and another for South Bend machines.
I believe there used to be one for Denford too but everyone has now defected here as it is a far better resource!

Long may it continue.

Andy

thyratron

Post by thyratron » Mon 21 Jul , 2008 19:39 pm

Spent a lot of money on hammerite and finally decided I cannot match the colour using this paint. :x
I've, therefore decided not to paint it. Well maybe I'll paint the gear cover black, as I've seen one that colour and it doesn't look out of place.

The 35 tooth changewheel was already in the combination set up for screwcutting. :oops: So I have got a full set. gears I mean. :lol: :lol:
I'm just in need of a fixed steady and a travelling steady, so If anyone finds either, I'd be obliged if they would give me a heads up.

cheers,
paul