TDS 1 GB imperial

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Richard Lynch-Blosse

TDS 1 GB imperial

Post by Richard Lynch-Blosse » Thu 23 Aug , 2007 15:23 pm

some years ago I purchased from Denford what I thought were the parts to enable conversion from imperial to metric (including an unmachined banjo). having only just got around to trying to assemble the parts I realise that the compound gear is for the metric to imperial although the bango appears to be correct. does anyone know which parts I would need, where I might find them and where on the geartrain they fit?. I have a diagram of the layout but this also seems to be for the metric version. I also wish to cut a thread of 9.45 TPI. any suggestions as to how to achieve this and if I have to cut a new gear what is the diametral pitch and angle (different info suggests 14,16 and 18 as possibles) :?:
Richard lynch-Blosse

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Thu 23 Aug , 2007 16:34 pm

Richard,

Welcome to the forum!
I recently got copies from Denford of most of the part drawings needed for metric:imperial and imperial:metric conversions.

I will pm you to discuss further.

Andy

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Thu 28 Aug , 2008 8:43 am

Hi

I looked at doing an imperial to metric conversion with back gears. A back gear solution with an imperial gearbox offers a limited set of metric thread pitches. The cost of buying and making parts drove me to look at a CNC conversion. I plan on using the Linux based EMC program. I am accumulating the parts but I haven't had time to make any tangible progress.

Good luck with your project. Post lots of photos so we can all ogle.
Regards

Dazz

graham4877
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graham4877 » Mon 10 Nov , 2008 17:26 pm

Andy B wrote:Richard,

Welcome to the forum!
I recently got copies from Denford of most of the part drawings needed for metric:imperial and imperial:metric conversions.

I will pm you to discuss further.

Andy
HI have you still got them? if so can you pm them to me plz thanks