Specifying circle radius or diameter

A forum for anything to do with QuickCAM 2D Design and LaserCAM 2D Design. Submit advice, examples, problems, feature requests etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

el$syd
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Specifying circle radius or diameter

Post by el$syd » Mon 14 Dec , 2009 18:17 pm

Using QuickCam 2D to cut circle depth 1mm and width 2mm in aluminium, radius outer is 44.33 mm and inner is 42.33 mm - could use a lathe, but felt that the CNC Mill would enable me to repeat the process as I would like to make several parts with this same setup.
Using the drawing tool for circles - it asks me for centre point, no problem. But then asks for the radius or diameter, the only way I can specify this is with the mouse and the radius indicator at the bottom of the screen. This means that the best resolution I can get is one mouse move (rotation of the mouse ball for one increment) in x or y, is there a way of numerically specifying the radius rather than using the mouse?
Also, if I want to keep my overall design but alter the radius of one of the circles using the 'alter select' tool, it will correctly alter the circle - but there is no radius showing at the bottom of the screen. So I have to delete it and start again! Which makes the alter tool for circles not very useful :(
I am probably missing something somewhere and help would be much appreciated.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Specifying circle radius or diameter

Post by Steve » Tue 15 Dec , 2009 9:35 am

Lots of ways to do this.

1 Move the curser to the center of the circle and click. Then when you are asked to set the radius move your mouse to the top of the screen and click the dimension tool to incremental and type 43.33 into the X box and then click OK.

2 Draw the circle the aprox size you want then select it, right click and select properties. Set the radius to 43.33 and OK.

3 Once you have drawn one circle just copy and paste.

:D :D :D :D

el$syd
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by el$syd » Tue 15 Dec , 2009 9:43 am

Many thanks - that is very helpful :D

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 15 Dec , 2009 9:46 am

2 Draw the circle the aprox size you want then select it, right click and select properties. Set the radius to 43.33 and OK.
- or just double click on the circle to get to properties