Cannot find machine config files in the machine.ini fi

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

BlazeMaguire

Cannot find machine config files in the machine.ini fi

Post by BlazeMaguire » Tue 23 Jan , 2007 19:16 pm

Hi, Im afraid I have not gone through the training for the denford, and apologise if this is an easy question I should know the answer to, but I am struggling as the only guy that got trained on the machine is now off on long term sickness, and im trying to peice together the bits and peices and get this machine up and running.

we have the router 2600 with the 4th axis attachment, on the USB connection

I have the following software:

VR CNC Mill version 5
Quickcam 4d
Quickcam 2D Design

and all relevant Liscense disks, in addition I have installed the Baldor USB driver and the machine is recongised by the laptop when i run the "easymachineupgrade" software that comes with VR Mill.

When I go to load VR CNC MIll, it starts to load, then comes up with an error message saying:

"Cannot start because there are no machine config files in the folder:

C:\program files\Denford\VRMILL3CD\machine.ini "

Now, ive gone and looked at this location, but the folder is called VRCNC5 (or something similar) and not what is listed in the error message! And i cannot even find the machine.ini file.

Does anyone know how to sort this, or is there some other valuable step in the setting up process that i have missed (remember I had no induction on this machine and am working blind!)

P.S The original installation was done onto my sick Colleague's laptop which he took home with him prior to going sick, so I am trying to get the machine to work from new, on my laptop.

P.P.S - I am running XP, and all the licsenses appear to be installed properly. All the other programs apart from VR CNC Mill work, but this means nothing as none of the other programs will communicate with the router!

Many many thanks for reading this essay,

Hope someone can help

Rob

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 23 Jan , 2007 23:46 pm

it sounds like the software isn't installed properly.
do an add/remove of vrmilling5 and reinstall off the cd.
it doesn't always work when installing over the top of an older version

try that 1st and let us know

BlazeMaguire

Post by BlazeMaguire » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 10:39 am

Hi,

Ive tried uninstalling and re-installing, several times. Even the complete suite of denford software and its still coming up with the same error!

Any other suggestions?

(thanks so far)

Rob

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 10:48 am

Can you tell me the version of VR Milling 5 ?

I'm still convinced that the install isn't working properly for some reason?

The vr3cd thing you are talking about, are entries in a text file VRMilling5.ini:

Code: Select all

[directories]
machine list file=C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling3CD\machine list.ini
This entry is what ships in the file on the CD - when the installer runs, it should change the path entries inside this file to wherever you choose to install the program, so the above entry should read:

Code: Select all

machine list file=C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling5\machine list.ini
VR Milling uses this entry to find the file with the list of machines you could choose from, and there are other similar entries which would also get changed on install.

I wonder if your IT dept have re-built the .msi install package to work with your network, and this is why your having problems :?:

BlazeMaguire

Post by BlazeMaguire » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 11:00 am

Hi,

Im installing it from the CD onto my personal laptop (which is not connected to the network - because the I.T support are too slack when it comes to sorting out a standalone machine!)

Is it supposed to be installed from a network location? because the other software that came with the machine (quickcam, 4D design, 2D Design etc) is on the network, the only one that isnt is VR MIll.

It is version 5.13 and it has a floppy disk liscence key. I assume this means I dont need a Dongle?

Any how, its still not working!

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 11:09 am

In that case, I can't see any reason for the install failing to change the entries.

Can you attach your VRMilling5.ini and Machine List.ini file (you may have to change the file extensions to .txt for the forum to allow it)
It should be located in C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling5\

It might help me work out what has happened

BlazeMaguire

Post by BlazeMaguire » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 11:20 am

Hi, Here is the VR Milling.ini file, THe machine list.ini file is nowhere to be seen in that folder!

Have a look at the document it seems to be putting it in /all users/ application data / ... which doesnt exist on my machine either!

Anyway many thanks for you help so far, Ive gotta go teach now, but will be back online around lunch time (1.05 - 2.00)

Thanks again.

Rob
Attachments
VRMilling5.txt
This is the VR MIlling file
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 1089 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 11:40 am

The ini file looks OK - I don't know where it is getting the vrmilling3cd from ?

To find the other stuff you may have to un-hide hidden files and folders
see this post:
viewtopic.php?p=2077

Try running the application directly by double clicking on VRMilling5.exe inside the program files\denford\vrmilling5 folder.

Maybe the shortcut you are using is pointing to something else ?

BlazeMaguire

Post by BlazeMaguire » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 16:30 pm

Hi again,

Have tried running the program straight from within the program folder, and viewing hidden files as described, no new files appear and the program still returns the sam error message, which in full is:

"VR Milling is not properly installed

Essential files are missing or cannot be found, please re-install or contact your network administrator:

Reason: There are no machine config files in:
C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling3CD\Machine list.ini"

I have even tried downloading VRCNC from this website and installing that (just incase the CD is damaged and not reading all the files or something) but I get exactly the same reaction!

Im really stuck now! Anyway I can 'Force' that file to be found, or generate it?

Thanks!

Rob

BlazeMaguire

Post by BlazeMaguire » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 16:38 pm

Update:

Ive just gone into C:\ Documents and settings\ Application setting\ Denford etc (now visible since i unhid all the files, I found the machine.ini file and put it into a folder called VRMIlling3CD in the proper location: C:\programfiles\denford\ etc and now the program runs (because its obviously finding the machine file folder but it returns new errors now that say "

Warning: The following files are not present:

Work offset file
Tool offset file
Tool library file

If i can find these and move them across as well im sure it will work, but dont know where to find them or what to look for!

Any suggestions (think weve nearly cracked it) Cheers again

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 16:40 pm

I think there must be some files still hanging around from previous versions...

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME\Application Data\Denford and delete VRMilling5.ini

try running it again direct from the .exes' location

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 16:45 pm

Just seen your update - I think my last post will fix these next problems,

Make sure you put any files back to where they were - this vrmilling3cd is the wrong place !

BlazeMaguire

Post by BlazeMaguire » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 16:47 pm

THANKYOU THANKYOU!

That did the trick!

Its all working now!, no errors, just need to figure out how to do something usefull with the machine now!

I just want to say how genuinley thankfull I am! its really refreshing to get excellent customer service like this from a company! I shall definatly be recommending you!

Thanks for now. (although Im sure ill be back on here again further down the line)

Rob

(

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 16:51 pm

Phew :D