***Microrouter Compact not machining 3D models fully***

Help and support using the 3D and Bitmap Machining CAM packages:
QuickCAM 3D, QuickCAM 3D Pro, QuickCAM 4D (rotary axis CAM)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

zowat

***Microrouter Compact not machining 3D models fully***

Post by zowat » Wed 23 Jan , 2008 17:01 pm

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has had an issue with the Microrouter Compact not machining 3D models completely? The models I have been trying to cut out are left incomplete and/or with huge steps in the areas that should have solid curves.

To put into context, I have students that have designed bottles in ProDesktop and these have then been exported as STL files and reopened in Quick Cam Pro ready for cutting. FNC file created and then sent to VRMilling. Instead of smoothly curved edges on these bottles, we are getting 'stumps' on the areas of maximum curve (similar to it being joined to a sprue). The edges are not being rounded either, even though the edges were rounded in ProDesktop.

Basically the model being cut doesn't look like the CAD model! Can anyone help please?

Thanks

PS I have already read the earlier post on 'raster cutting leaves marks round the edge', but this doesn't seem to be the issue.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 24 Jan , 2008 11:37 am

Can you post some pictures of the simulation out of Quick CAM?

Could you e-mail me the STL and the FNC file you have made.

When you have the cutting stratergies page open (Where you calculate them) there is an option to save the stratergies. Can you do this and send me the file too.

Steve

USE THE E-MAIL HERE .. v

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 25 Jan , 2008 11:28 am

When people have reprted this in the past, it has been because the toolpath has been created with a different size ball nose cutter.

eg, the cutter in QuickCAM was defined as 6mm but they were actually using 6.35mm (1/4 inch)

This will either cause features to be rounded off when they shouldn't , or not rounded off when they should be !

zowat

Post by zowat » Tue 29 Jan , 2008 17:38 pm

Steve wrote:Can you post some pictures of the simulation out of Quick CAM?

Could you e-mail me the STL and the FNC file you have made.

When you have the cutting stratergies page open (Where you calculate them) there is an option to save the stratergies. Can you do this and send me the file too.

Steve

USE THE E-MAIL HERE .. v
Hi Steve

I am about to go and save the strategies and will send the file on to you. I have emailed the other files already.

Thanks for your help!

Zoe
Attachments
Bottle Lid.jpg
This one clearly shows the steps that I keep getting on many of my bottle shapes that have been cut recently.
Bottle Lid.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 10418 times
Bottle Lid 2.jpg
A little blurred but it does at least show where the curves should be on the front (but machine is not cutting all the way through).
Bottle Lid 2.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 10418 times

zowat

Post by zowat » Tue 29 Jan , 2008 17:39 pm

Oops, sorry about the size of the images - I reduced them by 50% but it obviously wasn't enough! :roll:

Zoe

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 29 Jan , 2008 18:43 pm

Thanks for the pictures. :)

There is a page in the wizard where you select the boundary of the model. You can set it as the model or the billet and you can extend the boundary. :!:

The boundary sets the distance the tool center must work within. If you want to cut around the profile of the part you must extend the boundary.

If you want the tool to go down the side of the block you must have either material there or extend the boundary by at least the tool diameter.

In your case the tool centre could not go outside the block so could not cut the edges.

My screenshots are a bit large too! :oops:

If you do the same again but either increase the block size so you have at least 7mm round each side of the part or extend the boundary as shown in the attached jpg it will work. :D

I would suggest a better strategy would be the raster waterline option see image as this will leave smoother sides and a flat top. :idea:
Attachments
boundary to model extended.jpg
boundary to model extended.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 10414 times
Raster + Waterline.jpg
Raster + Waterline.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 10414 times

zowat

Post by zowat » Tue 29 Jan , 2008 21:04 pm

Thank you SO much! It makes a great deal of sense - and why I didn't see that before I don't know! :roll: Hopefully I won't need any more help on this one now!

I have another question re: 2D design files not exporting as fnc files but I'll go and post that as a new thread!

Thanks again Steve!

Zoe :D