Screwcutting and surfacing charts for Metric Viceroy

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Electrickydicky

Post by Electrickydicky » Sat 29 Dec , 2007 15:24 pm

Does anyone have Charts 151 and 155 which give change wheel info for screwcutting and surfacing. I would be obliged to have sight of them.
Richard Edwards

richard-edwardsburrs@burrsblueyonder.co.uk

Remove all burrs before replying

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Jan , 2008 10:51 am

viewtopic.php?p=4558#4558

Not sure if its what you thought they were :?:

Electrickydicky

Post by Electrickydicky » Wed 02 Jan , 2008 11:04 am

As you correctly guessed not really what I want. I actually require the original Charts 151 and 155 which I assume will show the change wheels required for different screwcutting and surfacing pitches. Thanks for your very prompt help on return to work and a very happy New Year to you and all on the Forum.
Richard Edwards

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Jan , 2008 11:24 am

Those drawings are the Charts 151 and 155 - have you any other info to go from ?

Are these other posts helpful... ?
viewtopic.php?t=933
viewtopic.php?t=994
viewtopic.php?t=930

Electrickydicky

Post by Electrickydicky » Wed 02 Jan , 2008 11:49 am

Denford Admin wrote:Those drawings are the Charts 151 and 155 - have you any other info to go from ?

Are these other posts helpful... ?
viewtopic.php?t=933
viewtopic.php?t=994
viewtopic.php?t=930
I am sure that they will be when I can get around to absorbing it all. I was obviously incorrect in assuming that the "Chart" number referred to a "Chart"! Once I get the machine back together I will assess the basic ratios to the surfacing feed and with all the info supplied make up my own chart based on my current gearset.
Again thanks for your help.
Richard Edwards

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Charts!

Post by Andy B » Thu 03 Jan , 2008 15:32 pm

The CH series drawing/part numbers were used for all plates & labels - for spindle speeds, nameplates, 'wear eye protection', threads & feeds, etc.
I'm guessing you have these 2 plates for your lathe but you are missing the threadcutting plates.
Is yours a gearbox machine or does it use changewheels only?
If it is a gearbox machine, then the feeds should be the same as on my 280VS, and I could mail you a photo of my plate.

I haven't yet got back to converting the original 5" lathe parts lists to electronic form (all the 5.5" machines are done), so I don't have a way of checking the actual chart numbers for your machine - it pre-dates the drawing registers shown here which starts at CH167 - viewtopic.php?t=906&start=15

You may also find this topic useful - viewtopic.php?t=1061

Andy

Electrickydicky

Re: Charts!

Post by Electrickydicky » Thu 03 Jan , 2008 18:37 pm

[quote="Andy B"]The CH series drawing/part numbers were used for all plates & labels - for spindle speeds, nameplates, 'wear eye protection', threads & feeds, etc.
I'm guessing you have these 2 plates for your lathe but you are missing the threadcutting plates.

You guess correctly

Is yours a gearbox machine or does it use changewheels only?

Changewheels only, it is probably nearly as old as me ;-)

If it is a gearbox machine, then the feeds should be the same as on my 280VS, and I could mail you a photo of my plate.

Kind of you but based on the above.....

I haven't yet got back to converting the original 5" lathe parts lists to electronic form (all the 5.5" machines are done), so I don't have a way of checking the actual chart numbers for your machine - it pre-dates the drawing registers shown here which starts at CH167 - viewtopic.php?t=906&start=15

You may also find this topic useful - viewtopic.php?t=1061

I have seen it but it is based on gearbox IIRC
I am a little way off from getting the Lathe back together, but new 3ph motor arrived today to go with a VFD I had on the shelf. Now 1HP 3ph instead of 0.5HP single phase. Thanks for your attention to my queries, I am sure I will get there in the end. I am most surprised and pleased with the response I am getting.
Richard Edwards

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Fri 04 Jan , 2008 13:54 pm

Electrickydicky wrote: I am most surprised and pleased with the response I am getting.
We try to be a helpful & friendly bunch on here!

I'm not sure the changewheel lathes ever had a thread/feed plate actually on the machine - it may have been only in the manual.

I believe that the arrangement and gears would be very similar to a Boxford, which has the following gears as standard (info from www.lathes.co.uk) - *16, 24, 28, 30, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, *80, *72/18 compound, *54/18 compound, *80 idler (with boss)
(* gears on machine as dispatched from factory for standard feeds).
Does your set match this?

In case you don't know, Boxford and Denford changewheels are not interchangeable as the DP is different.

Producing a thread chart will be easy, but I don't know how we can determine the feed drive ratio until you have the machine re-built - then a quick check with a clock gauge will determine that factor and teh rest of the calcs will be easy.

Andy

Electrickydicky

Post by Electrickydicky » Fri 04 Jan , 2008 14:25 pm

I'm not sure the changewheel lathes ever had a thread/feed plate actually on the machine - it may have been only in the manual.

Which I do not have. All I have seen are the ones with a gearbox.

I believe that the arrangement and gears would be very similar to a Boxford, which has the following gears as standard (info from www.lathes.co.uk) - *16, 24, 28, 30, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, *80, *72/18 compound, *54/18 compound, *80 idler (with boss)
(* gears on machine as dispatched from factory for standard feeds).
Does your set match this?

Not quite! My set below
16 x 2, 20, 28 x 2, 32 x 4, 40, 44 x 2, 48, 66+18, 72+18 x 2, 80 x 2,
100 x 2

In case you don't know, Boxford and Denford changewheels are not interchangeable as the DP is different.

I did not know, thanks for that.

Producing a thread chart will be easy, but I don't know how we can determine the feed drive ratio until you have the machine re-built - then a quick check with a clock gauge will determine that factor and teh rest of the calcs will be easy.

That is what I intend to do, will report back. Thanks again.
Richard Edwards