Running Old VR Turning on Windows 10

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Running Old VR Turning on Windows 10

Post by MadeForThat » Tue 17 Sep , 2019 6:07 am

That is the goal here. Just documenting this because I seem to forget everything each time I try, and just remember that I thought I couldn't. This leads me to attempting again.

Discs I have:
>Version 1.7 VRTurning (I have only ever tried to install this)
>Version 1.4 VRTurning
>Denford Software License Disk "VR CNC Turning"
>VR CNC Turning Registration Software (I believe this is the version I have successfully used previously)
>Machine Configuration Disc "Novaturn"
>downloaded version of Version 1.49 VR Turning (curious the number is less than one of the discs I have.... whatever, it requires a seckey.ttf that I don't/won't have)

What Machines:
>Windows 98 computer
>Windows 10 computer

Successful Combination:
>Windows 98 computer + Version 1.7 VRTurning + VR CNC Turning Registration Software = functional but dated experience. win 98 kinda ruins it

Unsuccessful Combinations (followed by hangup):
>Windows 10 computer + Version 1.7 VRTurning + VR CNC Turning Registration Software = !STOP: The disk media is not recognized, it may not be formatted! (registration disc cannot be read from windows 10. possible workaround that I intend to chase: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... d-by-windo)
>Windows 10 computer + Version 1.7 VRTurning + Denford Software License Disk= !error performing inpage operation! (floppy displays flash app and config, but will not execute. I do not believe all files are visible, I will need to check on the win98 machine if there is more to see that win10 cant. This may verywell be the same error as the other)
>Windows 10 computer + Version 1.49 VRTurning (cant adequately test this, as I cant really get the flash file to do its thing. not optimistic it will support the older license scheme. I have been PM'ing to see if it can...)

What to try next:
>Format Reg Disc on win 98 machine to repair floppy media description byte (per recommendation) if I can back up the floppies on the win98 machine without loosing anything.
>See if there are files on the License disc that are not visible on win10
>Attempt to get all files on to a new CD to manually update the license without using the flash file. Have been messaging Pete about this. Looks like the only file changed when flash runs is the VRTURNING.ini and it is just updated with a product number. Might try manually typing that in to the config file...

I wish i could get this sorted before I swap controllers, because it is a whole lot easier to set up a machine when you know it already works lol
This probably reads like the ramblings of a crazy person, sorry about that if someone else is reading this. I am doing this for myself to organize my thoughts, and perhaps someone, you, will find some use in it. Stay tuned

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Running Old VR Turning on Windows 10

Post by TDIPower » Tue 17 Sep , 2019 20:01 pm

Great you have documented this, when I visited Denford the other year they were saying this is the reason they set up the forum, so they could document stuff like this so if customers ran in to issues they could see if it had been solved by others.

Pete

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Re: Running Old VR Turning on Windows 10

Post by MadeForThat » Wed 18 Sep , 2019 15:40 pm

I think I will be doing a fair bit of documenting haha. I am going to be adding some features and such that hopefully others find useful.