F1 jig and fixing to a Micro router pro without a T slot bed

Information and tips about the F1 In Schools, 4x4 In Schools and GT Racing in Schools challenges.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Ant
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter Pro

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

F1 jig and fixing to a Micro router pro without a T slot bed

Post by Ant » Wed 09 May , 2018 10:12 am

Hi,

I am very new to the Denford Micro router and even newer to the F1 in schools programme.
We have an old Denford that we hope to use and the latest software loaded on a PC ready to drive it. We have successfully carried out some 2D milling so we know everything works as it should.

Regarding the F1 in Schools programme

Our school is very keen on taking part in this prestigious event but, like many, our budget is very tight. We have been lucky in obtaining an old style F1 jig that, with a little modification, we hope will see us being able to participate. However, our router is not fitted with a T Slot table/bed so I wondered if anyone has experience of fitting the F1 jig to a Denford router without?

The jig we have looks as though it needs a couple of L angle brackets (see images) which I assume we can purchase from Denford but what else would we need to secure it to our router? A description or a picture of how this is secured would really help.

I have attached some pictures of the various aforementioned in order to clarify what we are working with.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Attachments
IMG_2561.JPG
pic 4
IMG_2561.JPG (83.78 KiB) Viewed 12273 times
IMG_2560.JPG
pic 3
IMG_2560.JPG (89.84 KiB) Viewed 12273 times
IMG_2559.JPG
pic 2
IMG_2559.JPG (88.8 KiB) Viewed 12273 times
IMG_2558.JPG
Pics of the equipment we have access to
IMG_2558.JPG (99.32 KiB) Viewed 12273 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: F1 jig and fixing to a Micro router pro without a T slot

Post by Martin » Wed 09 May , 2018 15:06 pm

If you take a look at the attached manual on page 37 you can see how the fixture is fitted.

If you can't find the original rails you may be able to modify the manual clamps you have. You may also need to cut down the side bars to suit the F1 car model block.
Attachments
R type F1 QuickCAM with Solid Works Solid Edge and ProD.pdf
(10.6 MiB) Downloaded 631 times

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Wed 09 May , 2018 15:54 pm

Hi Martin,

Very well done for finding the picture - this will help us enormously.

The image is a little dark but it looks like the jig sits between the two Y axis rails. I assume they do not simply push together to clamp it in place as it looks like there are bolts securing the jig on to the LH ‘Y axis’ rail?

Our ‘Y axis’ rails have no holes in them so a quick modification should get us up and running.

Wow, we are very pleased we got a response so quickly.

Many thanks, Martin, for the info, without which we would be floundering around.

F1 here we come!

Ant

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 09 May , 2018 20:22 pm

Hi Ant

They are slightly different rails with clearance holes in.

I did have a quick look in stores but was not able to locate any so it would be easier to adapt the ones you have.

Hope it all goes well.

Martin

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 09 May , 2018 22:42 pm

I have the set up you require, I'm really snowed under tomorrow but should have some time Friday to get some pics and dims for you.
You should be able to Fab something up with what you have.

Looking at your machine, you have quite a build up of dust and a word of warning you really need to keep on top of cleaning down and lubing up. I have just had to fully strip 2 machines that had been used for F1 projects as the axis were binding up on them and they were unable to travel fully and were loosing position due to this. The dust gets right inside the 'nuts' that are held in each axis travel by 3 screws. these nuts are what run on the screws you can see driving each axis.

Pete

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Thu 10 May , 2018 6:45 am

Hi Pete,

That would be really useful, thanks.

I inherited the m/c which originally had a sacrificial bed. Under which I found hard (almost solid) sawdust. Any tips on cleaning and lubrication (type etc) would
Be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Thu 10 May , 2018 8:02 am

Thanks for looking Martin.

I don't suppose you have a detailed drawing of the rails? Otherwise I will measure it all out and drill the clearance holes where most appropriate.

Regards,

Ant

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 10 May , 2018 23:46 pm

Ok, cleaning, start by undoing the 3 allen bolts holding the X axis nut on the threaded bar closest to you (which are actually a plastic unit with a spring loaded self tightening/adjusting system (spring and red slipper)) wind the nut out of the Y axis unit, you will get an idea of how bad things are when you get that one out.

One thing to remember is that each the X axis has 2 feed screws and nuts, they need to be 'timed' as each of the screws has 4 threads, thus if you take a nut off there is a 1:4 chance of putting it back correctly. If you search my posts on my 1st strip down you will find Martins explanation of how to 're time' the nuts.

Each axis has a form of 'gib' strip but not in the way found on milling machines, these are 3/4 round units that run on the round bars or the long X axis bars under the screw feeds. They are adjusted and held in place by the screws through each of the axis mounts (flat head screws about 5mm dia head). These units have some form of longitudinally slotted material (possibly nylon) as such all the dust gets to clog up inside them as they travel back and forth too :(.

Ensure you have a decent set of metric allen keys (not made out of Chinesium mint aero) that are not worn. Each of the screw feeds has a nut on the back of the bearing where it attaches to the stepper motor (this is important to remember when you come to take the Y axis out as you need to remove the stepper and the nut) It can be fun getting the screw feeds out of the bearings.

I have found one of these kits but with a better range of allen key types was invaluable https://www.screwfix.com/p/teng-bits-so ... chet/75094 It was the very small ratchet on the Allen's that was what was needed.

As you strip it down and clean up spray each bit with silicone lube and let it sit while you do some more stripping, it will all be coated up nicely for the rebuild.

Ill get those pics of the frame ASAP

Pete

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Fri 11 May , 2018 14:21 pm

Thanks Pete.

I hope to avoid the strip-down as all seems to be working fine after a good clean but I will keep the info on file!

Regards,

Ant

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 11 May , 2018 22:23 pm

Got the pics, just need to pull them off my phone and up load them.

Pete

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Sat 12 May , 2018 17:36 pm

Here are the pics, My frame has an extra 'V' block, you could just cut down the L angle so you can fix direct to you blocks. For some reason the end bar mounting holes into the V blocks are not centred. I can't see this being an issue as you have to zero the cutter to the job anyway. In the microrouter where the end bars fit onto the aluminium rail mine has had t bits of aluminium glued to the top edge to make it easier to re align the F1 set up when it has been removed to do other work.

Hope it helps.
Attachments
IMAG0913.jpg
IMAG0913.jpg (327.98 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
IMAG0912.jpg
indication of hole centre distance
IMAG0912.jpg (386.94 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
IMAG0911.jpg
Indication of distance from the end to holes
IMAG0911.jpg (356.29 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
IMAG0910.jpg
End rails showing offset to each other as one is flipped to indicate they are not centred
IMAG0910.jpg (400.24 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
IMAG0909.jpg
Whole frame, you can see for yours you just need to cut the L angle down so you can mount into the V blocks
IMAG0909.jpg (354.93 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
IMAG0908.jpg
IMAG0908.jpg (370.04 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
IMAG0907.jpg
End view of Frame and fixing holes
IMAG0907.jpg (434.82 KiB) Viewed 12230 times