Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL Chuck Wanted

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dakes55
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL Chuck Wanted

Post by dakes55 » Tue 24 Jan , 2017 20:59 pm

Hi, I just bought a really nice ex collage TDS 1/1 with hardly any wear, the problem is I am not familiar with this machine and it has come without a chuck, firstly can anyone advise where I might get a chuck for it and what types were fitted to it, as I understand it needs to be 1 1/2 x 8TPI

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL Chuck Wanted

Post by Pete. » Tue 24 Jan , 2017 21:27 pm

You can use any chuck that will fit a backplate. What you need is a back plate. The nose thread is indeed 1.5" 8TPI BSF, which is a 55 degree thread.

You could buy a backplate casting and have someone machine the register and cut a thread in it for you. Once you have the backplate done just buy yourself a suitable chuck to bolt to it.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Fri 27 Jan , 2017 12:25 pm

I've put a drawing of the thread and register in this thread.

Both the thread size / form and register diameter are apparently the same as Boxfords, and putting "chuck back plate viceroy boxford" into your search engine will show a variety of suppliers.

I've read that the tolerances of some items available can mean you have a sloppy fit at one extreme, or even an interference fit at the other - so it may be worth measuring the diameter of your register and then checking with prospective suppliers what tolerances their are machined-to.

Regarding chucks, there are many to choose from - which I would categorise as follows:
1) Cheap far-eastern (Chinese) imports - quite variable in quality, and can be over heavy with very thick jaws. Often require a complete dis-assembly, de-burr and clean to remove casting sand, grinding dust, etc - then re-assembly with fresh grease.
2) Mid-price eastern European (e.g. 'Bison') - generally better designs and quality 'out of the box'.
3) UK / US manufacture (e.g. Pratt Burnerd) - top notch, will last for ever, but expensive to buy new.
Used examples from categories 2 & 3 can be found (sometimes at very good prices) but beware of abused / worn out examples.

What part of the country are you in? We might be able to point you towards a local reputable supplier.

Andy

dakes55
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

Post by dakes55 » Sun 29 Jan , 2017 15:24 pm

Hi Andy, thanks for the info, I am in Leicester