Mill/lathe combo? Didn't know they made one.

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Mill/lathe combo? Didn't know they made one.

Post by Pete. » Fri 31 Oct , 2014 17:25 pm

Never seen a Denford combination machine like this one offered on eBay. Was it standard issue or is th emillin gpart a later addition?

http://r.ebay.com/DMf7Io

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Mill/lathe combo? Didn't know they made one.

Post by TDIPower » Sat 01 Nov , 2014 0:14 am

Why..... why did you bring this to my attention :( I was happy sitting 'Goth on BBC4' now I'm trying to work out a valid reason to own this... which is not difficult but then there is sorting out 415 3 phase from 240 single. I even have a project that would make good use of it... but I would have to get it from a not working state. hopefully it will get to a bid level far outside my reach

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Post by rpwilson » Sat 01 Nov , 2014 3:34 am

Pete. wrote:Never seen a Denford combination machine like this one offered on eBay. Was it standard issue or is th emillin gpart a later addition?

Does anyone recognise the mill head as a Denford product? I suspect its a later mod, but who knows? Curious that the vendor talks about the lathe, but makes no mention of the mill part.
Richard

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 01 Nov , 2014 7:51 am

Well that's what made me think it was 'as supplied'. Surely if it was a late addition it would be mentioned?

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Sat 01 Nov , 2014 10:14 am

Pete. wrote:Well that's what made me think it was 'as supplied'. Surely if it was a late addition it would be mentioned?
Maybe, but on the other hand, the seller isn't trying very hard is he? No description of what, if any, equipment comes with it, no details of what renders it 'not working', no close up photo of the mill head.
Granted the head seems to be painted the same colour as the lathe and the cross slide looks to have 2 longitudinal tee slots, but on the other hand, where are the mill controls? They are not on the fascia panel, so would Denford make a machine where the operator has to reach over the lathe (true it wouldn't be running) to get at the push buttons? How is the Y axis movement controlled, saddle handwheel? Seems a bit coarse. Also theres nothing on the data plate to suggest that this is anything but a standard Synchro 280.
The bidding seems to be going quite well, with 6 days to go, so lets hope someone who uses this forum gets it, and tells us all about it.

Richard

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Mon 03 Nov , 2014 14:21 pm

This is a standard Denford offering - mainly sold to UK MoD, I believe.
There was another one sold on ebay a while back that had the miling attachment still in its packing crate.
The milling unit was supplied by Rishton, according to Tony Griffith's site.

Milling spindle controls are next to the self-contained motor.
A milling table replaced the standard lathe cross-slide.
The lathe's power feeds could then be used for milling - I think there may have been a spindle cap that shielded the rotating lathe spndle. One clearly would not be trying to turn and mill at the same time!

I think I have the installation drawings in my collection.

As existing owners know, the electronics normally consist only of contactors & wires with a couple of thermal cut-outs; nothing that is not easily fixed. However, it appears from the parts list that the MoD machines were fitted with a braking unit which did have a PCB. In the worst case I'm sure this could simply be by-passed to get the lathe up and running.

Andy

Steve_S
Hardware/Software: TDS 1 DST Educator

Post by Steve_S » Mon 03 Nov , 2014 19:39 pm

I email the guy for more photos and yes its a milling attachment. Which looks like a separate motor drive to convert if running 230v
I ask about the fault and the reply is "In terms of not working I understand its the electronics card."
Attachments
DSC08666.jpg
DSC08666.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 8744 times
DSC08660.jpg
DSC08660.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 8744 times

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Mon 03 Nov , 2014 21:43 pm

Steve_S wrote: I ask about the fault and the reply is "In terms of not working I understand its the electronics card."
That really would be something - since it has no electronics in it.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Mon 03 Nov , 2014 23:42 pm

Pete. wrote:
Steve_S wrote: I ask about the fault and the reply is "In terms of not working I understand its the electronics card."
That really would be something - since it has no electronics in it.
Yes, when I asked him, he said that his electrician had told him it didn't work because the electronic control card was defective. Puzzled me too.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Tue 04 Nov , 2014 15:37 pm

Pete. wrote:Never seen a Denford combination machine like this one offered on eBay. Was it standard issue or is th emillin gpart a later addition?

I was so intrigued by this one that I went to look at it this morning.
It appears to be a standard Viceroy 280 Synchro, apart from the fact that there is a facing on the back of the bed,for mounting the mill. My 280 doesn't have that facing. Its an imperial machine, leadscrew, tailstock barrel and dials, has the 3 jaw shown in the photos, but no other spindle mounted equipment. There are 2 holders for the QCTP, a tailstock drill chuck and 3 spare change gears, plus various oddments of tooling. There is a 2MT Clarkson type collet chuck and 3 imperial collets which fit the mill head.
The vendor says there is an electrical card problem which stops the machine working. The data plate quotes the drawing numbers for the relevant wiring diagrams, so that probably isn't an insurmountable problem. Both lathe and mill head are 3 phase Its got the footbrake.
The vendor has now been told by his technician, who I talked to, that there is a problem with the traverses, and the technician says that the gears and racks in the gearbox are badly worn and chewed up. Thats a pity, because otherwise the machine looked pretty good, if in need of a good clean.
The mill uses a 6.5"x6" table forming part of the cross slide. It isn't what I'd call a 'handy' attachment to use, if it relies on the saddle traverse for movement in one direction. There should be a quick action movement for the quill, but the lever is missing, and I couldn't spot it in the drawers of the machine. Head elevating is by means of a handwheel on a vertical screw, and is best accessed when standing at the rear of the machine, which is why to me it isn't too handy to use. I couldn't see a name on the mill.
Its a lot of machine for not much money at present if someone fancies a 'punt' The mill head would probably sell well in its own right.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Wed 05 Nov , 2014 11:19 am

I see the seller has ended the auction. Hope it wasn't anything I said.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Wed 05 Nov , 2014 18:05 pm

Ending the auction just means that it has probably been sold privately, that's all.
Ebay want you to let an Auction run, but they can't force you to, they will charge a fee though,
and if you keep doing it regularly they will cancel your account.
Les.T.

Kenny4sheds
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy 280 sync

also Denford Viceroy 280 sync with Miller

Denfod Sharpedge grinder

Post by Kenny4sheds » Tue 23 Dec , 2014 18:08 pm

I have 2 x Viceroy 280s, one of them (Ex Gvt) came fitted with a vertical mill which I control with a small phase converter so apart from the mechanical speed selection I can fine tune the speed with the converter! the lathe itself is run on a static converter, the only thing I have to be aware of is to turn the lathe on before the suds pump to avoid the pump being overloaded, of course the pump turns off with the same stop button. If I want to mill only and need suds I select neutral on the headstock turn the lathe on then the pump.
The other 280 vs came with the fitting for the miller.
The same static converter also runs a Denford Sharpedge grinder and a small tool and and cutter grinder which I also use as a surface grinder. I just have to remember to select the correct loading on the converter which I now do without thinking about it.
If you want any more details on the miller I will be pleased to help.
Ken