air assist cone

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

chrisv

air assist cone

Post by chrisv » Thu 08 Nov , 2012 11:33 am

Just a little cautionary tale!

Recently,despite regular reminders, one of our students used our VL300 without switching on the extraction cart, resulting in a badly burnt lens. I ordered and fitted a new one without any problem, but after a short time the machine stopped cutting. I looked at the lens and found that this too had been ruined! The reason was that I had not spotted that the small hose connecting the air supply to the air assist cone had melted during the first incident & blocked the air supply to the cone. Result, one brand new lens destroyed and £250+ down the drain!

I guess the moral is after an overheat, check everything that might be affected, not just the obvious stuff.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: air assist cone

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 08 Nov , 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for sharing!
Also remember to never leave a Laser un-attended when it's cutting.

chrisv

Post by chrisv » Fri 09 Nov , 2012 10:59 am

Quite true! Could you by any chance supply a replacement tube (just the tube, the needle valve & fittings are fine)?

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Fri 09 Nov , 2012 13:13 pm

The laser air assist tubing is just a piece of 4mm OD nylon tubing