Viceroy Gear Selector Fork

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

riley
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/2P/C/S

Viceroy Gear Selector Fork

Post by riley » Thu 19 Aug , 2010 16:23 pm

I have recently purchased (site unseen) a Viceroy TDS 1/2P/C/S lathe, serial number M17886.

I gather that this had been unused for some time and on an initial short run-up everything appeared fine.

Following a good clean and lubrication there now appears to be a metallic tinkling noise coming from the headstock area.

On removing the headstock back panel and looking inside it would appear as though the gear selector fork is quite loose on its pivot shaft.

Has anybody had a similar experience, and if so how did they overcome the problem?

Advice and pitfalls on removing this assembly to further the investigation would be appreciated.

Also, good anybody tell me what the TDS 1/2P/C/S to me the layman.

Thanks

Bob

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Viceroy Gear Selector Fork

Post by Pete. » Sat 21 Aug , 2010 7:43 am

I'm surprised it isn't damped-out by the oil in the headstock. Does the headstock hold the correct amount of oil?

If it's operation is affected or it's bothering you I can only suggest either re-making the fork or bushing it for a better fit on the shaft.

riley

Post by riley » Sat 21 Aug , 2010 10:46 am

Hi Pete, thanks for the prompt reply.

On my lathe there doesnt appear be an oil reservoir in the head stock. There are instead two oil nipples which are directly above the gear train and a couple of grease nipples at the spindle bearing ends.

Trawling through this site I have found a drawing for a Gear Shifter Fork (ML100/109A) which looks similar to the one installed on my lathe. On both fingers of this selector there is a 3/16 dia. hole but no indication as to whether something should be fitted to the holes.

Running a file over the only finger that is accesible, the file has what appears to be a coating of copper filings or something similar. I have for the moment assumed that this is the cause of the problem.

To gain access to the Gear Shifter I get the impression that I may have to remove the head stock or possible the main spindle. Hence my earlier request for information.

Bob

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 21 Aug , 2010 11:01 am

Unfortunately Bob I think my lathe is newer than yours. Could you post a pic of your selector fork?

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Sat 21 Aug , 2010 20:30 pm

Hi I found a drawing which might help.
Regards,

Les.T.
Attachments
scan0002.jpg
Part of Drawing ML100/100B
scan0002.jpg (350.97 KiB) Viewed 8671 times

riley

Post by riley » Sun 22 Aug , 2010 17:39 pm

Hi Les,

Thanks for the drawing.

It seems to confirm that the two phos. bronze rivets in my lathe are not doing what they are meant to.

I will have a go at removing the gear shift lever gaining access from the rear panel next weekend.

If this fails I think it will be a head stock removal job.

Bob

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 24 Aug , 2010 10:45 am

riley wrote: Also, good anybody tell me what the TDS 1/2P/C/S to me the layman.
PCS = Power cross feed & screwcutting
I've not worked out the TDS 1/2 bit - but TDS was used for the whole range of machines, not just lathes.

Other machines were:
TDS 1/1 GB - as PCS but with a screwcutting gearbox instead of separate changewheels
TDS 1 LS - screwcutting (LeadScrew only, no power feeds)
TDS 5 BG - plain lathe (no screwcutting or power feeds), with BackGear.

Andy

riley

Post by riley » Wed 03 Nov , 2010 12:11 pm

A Viceroy re-build article provided by the 'CNC Apprentice' has been a great insight and help in sorting this problem out. Many thanks to CNC for that.

The two phos. bronze rivets (see CNC's photo) on the back gear shifter fork (ML100/109A) were found to have worn allowing the inside of the fork to strike against the back gear.

Replacing the rivets and dressing them with a file to ensure that there was an equal gap on both sides of the fork arms has enabled the fork arms to maintain a centralised position about the back gear. This has now brought the noise level down to an acceptable level.

Bob

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Sun 22 Jul , 2012 3:06 am

LesT wrote:Hi I found a drawing which might help.
Regards,

Les.T.
Hi

Do you have a detailed drawing of part ML100 141, the counter shaft? I specifically want to know if the shaft is machined eccentric to adjust the gear spacing.
Regards

Dazz

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Sun 22 Jul , 2012 12:07 pm

dazz wrote:
LesT wrote:Hi I found a drawing which might help.
Regards,

Les.T.
Hi

Do you have a detailed drawing of part ML100 141, the counter shaft? I specifically want to know if the shaft is machined eccentric to adjust the gear spacing.
Hi,

Sorry all I have are some assembly drawings. No drawings of individual parts. I don't think the shaft would be machined eccentrically, (at least not on purpose !), If your headstock is a bit noisy try using thicker oil on the gears (top) oilers.