Can I operate my DOS machine software from a QWERTY keyboard

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Can I operate my DOS machine software from a QWERTY keyboard

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 01 Mar , 2006 11:42 am

Can I operate my DOS machine software from a QWERTY keyboard?

My computer only has 1 COM port so I want to use the software without the Desk Top Tutor

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Yes..... well maybe...

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 01 Mar , 2006 12:03 pm

The DOS machine software was never designed to operate from a QWERTY keyboard, but a driver was developed for testing purposes and works pretty well.

First check that you have a file called QDENFORD.KBD in the folder that contains the software used to run your machine. This file was only shipped with later versions of the DOS software. If not you'll have to get the file from Denford.

Next, open your machine softwares .GO file in a text editor such as windows Notepad. The actual name of the GO file depends on the machine your have, but will have the same name as the executable you use to run your machine software, but with a file extensin of .GO

eg TriacPC has a file called FANUCMD.GO

it looks similar to (but not necessaruily exactly like) this

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FANUCMD.APP

The two lines that read...
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
specify the keyboard driver file to use (DENFORD1.KBD) and the parameters this file reuires (18.2 $3F8 4)

So changing these two lines to read.....
QDENFORD.KBD 1
18.2 0

Will make the software use the QWERTY keyboard instead of the Desk Top Tutor (DTT).

Things to note...

The MODE keys on the DTT are replaced with ALT- combinations
JOG = ALT-J
EDIT = ALT-E
AUTO = ALT-A
HOME = ALT-H

In JOG mode, use the cursor keys to move the axes, and PgUp / PgDn for the Z axis on a miller

Function keys will alter feed and speed overrides (can't remember which ones though - just give them a try!)

To home the machine press the corresoponding axis letter - eg press the X key to home the X axis (on the tutor you used to press the jog keys)

Finally, see my earlier post if you want to connect your machine to COM 1 on your PC