Denford MicroMill software query

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

LozHarropLures
Hardware/Software: Windoze 10

Denford MicroMill software query

Post by LozHarropLures » Mon 17 Sep , 2018 18:13 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me of my options. I am looking at a Denford MicroMill but it does not come with the VR CNC so I would like to know my options. I have a friend who can produce CNC files for me on CATIA V5 but I don't know if CATIA has a suitable post-processor. I was involved in CNC programming way back in the 80's writing programs to change the GCODE output to make it suitable for different machines so (did) know a little about GCODE. I would rather not have to change the circuit board on the machine. Any help or advise greatly appreciated.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Denford MicroMill software query

Post by TDIPower » Mon 17 Sep , 2018 20:01 pm

You will need VR milling (need to know the version from the eprom label to work out which version). This is the machine control software which will take a G Code file and control the movement of the machine. VR milling is quite straightforward to setup and use, however if your eprom doesn't support VR5 I'm not sure if you can buy new VR2 licences.

To produce the G code you will need a post processer to convert the drawing into the G code taking into account material and tooling available. Denford do Quickcam Pro, Fusion 360 has a Denford postprocessor within it, I am sure others are available too.

Pete

LozHarropLures
Hardware/Software: Windoze 10

Post by LozHarropLures » Mon 17 Sep , 2018 20:32 pm

Thanks Pete,

I will try and get more info. Would this machine be capable of cutting aluminium moulds like this:

It will be used infrequently so the cutting time in not important.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 18 Sep , 2018 22:01 pm

Hi, yes I have machined Aluminium, just a case of sorting the feeds, speeds and cut depths, I was doing moulds for handles for steady hand games (injection moulding with a hot glue gun). By removing the side cover (easy to do so I could keep the door locked and kids out) I used it to access while machining so I could give the odd squirt of wd40, or blast of air to shift chips, I sometimes stuck a bit of tap on the cutter to clear chips too. I did push to mild steel on the odd occasion with a very gentle approach.

I sent you a PM yesterday with some more information.

Hope that helps

Pete