Novaturn software V1.45

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Gcodeman
Hardware/Software: VR turn V1.45

Novaturn software V1.45

Post by Gcodeman » Mon 23 Jan , 2017 18:22 pm

Hello again. To quickly recap the ongoing problem I'm experiencing. I've acquired a Novaturn which had V:1.45 as its control. When I set up my tool library with five active tools, established their off sets and descriptions, wrote a short G code program, they all ran. However none of these tools appeared as active in the 2Ddesign post processer. Acting on advice from forum members I updated the control to V:1.47 and the latest version of 2D design, after which the machine wouldn't run even with the Flash code copied in. After I uninstalled V:1.47 the V:1.45 wouldn't run, so I've now cleared every trace of previous versions from the computer and V:1.45 still won't run. I've installed V:1.43 which will run the spindle and slides, but I can't establish a tool library. The tool change bar is permanently active but any amount of clicking on it will not allow another tool to be activated in the library. My question is: Can I down load an un-corrupted version of V:1.45 from anywhere and start all over again, or is their anyway I can get V:1.43 to preform in the same way as V:1.45 in those far off happy days? Thanks.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Novaturn software V1.45

Post by Martin » Tue 24 Jan , 2017 8:48 am

When you say 2D Design what exactly is it as you would need QUICKTURN 2D Design to create turning programs.

When you say it would not run on Version 1.47 even with the flash code copied in what exactly did not happen? Can you post some screen shots?

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Tue 24 Jan , 2017 10:09 am

Yes the 2Ddesign is the CAD/CAM that was loaded on the computer that came with the machine, I have loaded the up dated version but haven't tried it yet as I have to sort out the control. The V:1.45 did initially work, but now doesn't ever since I tried to get the post processor to run the tools I had loaded in the VRturn tool library, but now won't allow me to run the spindle or move the slides. Likewise the V1.47 won't allow me to move slides, as I get the "machine unsafe warning which gave three options, guard, stop and reinstall. The V1.43 will allow me to move slides and run the spindle, but won't allow me to load tools or off sets (apart from T01) in the tool library. I am a little outside my comfort zone, but a friend of mine spent an hour and a half with the unit and this is as far as we've got.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 24 Jan , 2017 11:16 am

What is the machine serial number & date of build?

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Tue 24 Jan , 2017 18:19 pm

Hi. Martin. I'll have a look for the serial No. in the morning but it was first commissioned in 1999. I have made some progress today. A few weeks back when I loaded the up dated CAD/CAM the post processor was showing an ATC so I asked how to change the parameters to manual tool change. I got several screen shots showing what values should be in each box, in the box for No. of tools it showed the value of "1" While I was having the problems with V1.45 & V1.47 any value I changed in the machine parameters simply didn't register. Today I was playing around with the V1.43 again and it occurred to me that the whole of the top tool library window was filled with T1, so I changed the number of tools to 10 which registered in the tool library, so now at least I can set a series of tools and run a hand written program. I'll also re-install the up dated CAD/CAM soft ware and see what occurs.
I would really like to get to the bottom of the problem with the other two versions and hopefully run V1.47.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Wed 25 Jan , 2017 18:30 pm

Hi. Martin. Think we need to regroup a bit. Sorry if I appear a bit dim about all this, I've been involved with cnc since the days of punch tape, but I've only really used hand written G code programs. I do have a small cnc mill that runs Mach3 so the only conversational programing I use is via the imbedded Wizards.
V1.43 seems to be working okay, I've set offset values for five tools, but yet to write a program to prove that. Loaded V1.26 of 2D Design, I can draw a component, but it still reckons I've got an ATC and there's only one tool available in the post processor, RH roughing, but no offset values. Have I got it wrong, do you have to record the offset values and type them into the available tools list in the post processor, or should this be an automatic process between the two soft wares? As I'm now running a later version of the control should I also be running a later version of the CAD/CAM?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 26 Jan , 2017 23:21 pm

I presume you are running QuickTurn 2D Design version 1.26?

If you open the Options Tab then select Load Tooling / Materials you should be able to select the relevant tooling package.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Sun 29 Jan , 2017 18:33 pm

Hi. Martin Sorry for not replying sooner. Yes I run V1.26 and I've tried the options, but with no success, the soft ware won't allow me to make any changes to the displayed parameters. The latest suggestion is to run the soft ware via a clean computer. I've ordered a bog basic desk top box that hopefully will be with me next week, so we'll wait and see what happens

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 30 Jan , 2017 14:47 pm

With the QuickTURN 2D you need to go to the "OPTIONS" MENU. Then select "Load Save machine tooling". Select Turn270_Tooling.MML this will load the default tooling to the QuickTurn with feeds and speeds that should be suitable for your Novaturn.

The default tooling library is for a front cutting machine with a single tool (this would only have aluminium plastic and wax as materials) so if you don't select the correct tooling file it wont use any other tools.

On the shortcut you use to start the Quickturn 2D Design right click and select run as administrator. This may be required so you can change the settings.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Tue 31 Jan , 2017 11:05 am

Hi. Martin. I've always been able to get the tooling options up, the problem is that there doesn't appear to be a way of changing the ATC to manual T/C I have established a tool library from the selection available, I've typed in the off set values from VR Turn, but I cannot change the tool positions as there are only the turret positions available. I right clicked on the 2D Design icon and selected the administrator to run, but a password was required, the only one I know is "denny" but this didn't work, after which nothing would work, the on screen message was C:/Doucuments and settings/Master/Desktop is not accessible Access denied. I rebooted 2D Design which restored the system.
I know I'm missing something fundamental here, but its not completely obvious. Thanks.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 31 Jan , 2017 22:30 pm

I think what Steve is saying is you need to run the program in admin mode, this is nothing to do with the denford program as such but a windows instruction, you can do this with any program you install on windows. In normal mode windows will impose some restrictions to stop users/programs modifying the system. SO what might be happening is you are doing all the modifications you need to BUT when the program comes to save those changes Windows might be preventing this.

When you right click on the icon and select run as Admin the password you should use is the admin password for your windows install, if you did not select a password when you installed windows you should be able to just click on ok and it will work.

Hope that helps

Pete

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Wed 01 Feb , 2017 10:02 am

I'm grateful for any help and advice. As my username might suggest I'm old school G code, never used CAD/CAM for no other reason than it hasn't been explained to me. I've always used computers as a tool without really understanding how it all works, so basic steps in trying to get software to preform as intended that require a depth of understanding in changing the parameters of the computer sometimes takes me out of my comfort zone. The desktop box has been dispatched so when it arrives I'll try and start from the ground up and see what happens. Thanks.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 01 Feb , 2017 20:53 pm

Now I'm working the other way, I know computers quite well (from the late 80's) although feel I'm getting out of my depth with modern incarnations. I would love to be able to just write G code myself although I do love to be able to just CAD what I want and then tell the machine to work it out for me. Although I'm having lots of issues with the more recent versions of the software from denford, things like converting a CAD of a large curve into a very noticeable series of straight lines when machined and no solution available. If I knew G code I could alter it and get it to work.

Hope it gets up and running for you soon.

Pete