Triac NS PC Z axis problem

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Mirac NS / VR Turning
Triac NS / VR Milling

Re: Triac NS PC Z axis problem

Post by MauricioTakano » Wed 20 Feb , 2013 12:53 pm

Denford Admin wrote:See here for the Feed pot problem - are they enabled in the software ?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3623
Yes, they are enabled in the software. I even tried to disable them and tried to change feed rate via software, but the axes didn't move anyway. The signals from the potentiometer are arriving at the board in the cabinet.
Denford Admin wrote:I'm wondering if you did not select the correct machine type in the latest VR Milling v2 ?
I did select the correct machine, it was one of the first things I checked.
Denford Admin wrote:The brake output may not have been available in the early version of the software so may never work in 2.16
We used to work with VR Milling 2.16, we recently changed to 2.31. The brake used to work in 2.16 before.
Denford Admin wrote:Everything should be OK in 2.31 but you need to select the correct machine type and maybe make some alterations to the parameters.
To ensure that the connection would work properly I backed up a copy of "TRIACNS.ini" file from the last time the software was working. I don't know, can the parameters be incorrect? Maybe I can send you the ".ini" file for you so you can check it?

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Wed 20 Feb , 2013 18:39 pm

I re-installed VR Milling 2.31 and it really didn't work. Z motor is still making a shrill noise and not moving, even without the brake. Z motor is only working with 2.16 software.
I cannot update the software to the latest version using easy upgrader. It still showing that message "your card is not compatible with the very latest software. The bootloader is out of date and cannot be updated with this software. Please contact Denford about updating so you can take advantage of the latest features of the new software. Otherwise you may continue and update to the latest version(s) possible" and then another message appears "Non-volatile data corrupted". Is it worth trying to update?

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Wed 20 Feb , 2013 19:41 pm

How do I reset firmware? There were no firmware and FPGA files selected when I started MintMan NextStep, so I chose one file for each. But I chose the wrong file for the firmware, now it is not connecting with the machine anymore, not even for me to try to change the firmware.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 21 Feb , 2013 10:45 am

I think you need to get this card exchanged with the Denford service dept.

It sounds like the setup for the TriacNS in the latest VRMilling is set to use the later Microstepping drives. When I look at the setup TriacNS.ini the steps per mm is set to 2000. Your machine may well need to be set to 200

You can install Workbench from the VR milling 2 CD...running this may allow you to get some firmware back into the board to get it running again.
You will then need to run EasyUpgrader to overwrite with the correct versions of firmware and fpga

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Fri 22 Feb , 2013 16:27 pm

Denford Admin wrote:I think you need to get this card exchanged with the Denford service dept.
How do I do that, who do I need to contact?
Denford Admin wrote:It sounds like the setup for the TriacNS in the latest VRMilling is set to use the later Microstepping drives. When I look at the setup TriacNS.ini the steps per mm is set to 2000. Your machine may well need to be set to 200
I tried to change the steps per mm already. It still doing the same thing. Even running VR Milling 2.31 the brake doesn't work.
Denford Admin wrote:You can install Workbench from the VR milling 2 CD...running this may allow you to get some firmware back into the board to get it running again.
You will then need to run EasyUpgrader to overwrite with the correct versions of firmware and fpga
Thanks, I was able to connect again with the machine. But the same problems are still there. Brake is not working, when using v2.31 z motor doesn't home. However the potentiometers problem seemed to have been solved. At least now it recognized it. However, Z axis never homes correctly. The motor seems to be trying to spin too fast and is not being able to do so. When I home X and Y axes they do it very fast too. But I already tried to set the steps per mil to 200. When running workbench the Z axis feed rate goes to 30000 when I try to home it. In machine parameters home feed is set to 2000, maximum feed rate for X, Y and Z axes are set to 2000. No M codes are working, they all time out.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 22 Feb , 2013 17:10 pm

In workbench the feedrate values are in steps per second
so 30000steps/sec = 1,800,000 steps/minute which will equate to 9000mm/min (when divided by 200steps)
This is too high for the machine which means the Mint (.mnt) file is definitely configured for 10x microstepping

The homing speed is set in the mint file so changing steps per mm in the software won't affect it...that only effects the number of steps commanded for a given distance (eg send 200 steps if you want for 1mm movement)

Looking at the mint files in VR 2.31 I would suggest try setting the machine type to TritonNS - that is not micro stepping and has the Z brake output logic in the mint to turn on output 15. The brake is energised by VRMilling when it has connected and if the Emergency stop signal is not active (input 11)

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Fri 22 Feb , 2013 20:13 pm

Switching to TritonNS worked out. Almost all of the problems are gone now. There are only two issues now:
1: Everytime I turn off the machine I have to reinstall the firmware and FPGA using workbench;
2: The machine is not changing tool. I already checked the "auto changer" box in "Tool change" and in "Auto tool change" is set like this: 1 M24; 2 T; 3 M25.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 23 Feb , 2013 8:49 am

Have you got enough air pressure? It should be at least 80psi.

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Sat 23 Feb , 2013 23:03 pm

Air pressure is ok here.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 10:03 am

OK, the problem now is that the Triton didn't have a toolchanger so doesn't have the logic in the mint file to control one.
If you can supply the TriacNS mint from the old version of VRMilling I can compare to the new one and create a new file for you to compile in workbench (to a .mex file)
I won't be able to compile it here as the compiler automatically switches versions according to the firmware level it is connected to at the time.
There is some info on compiling here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2488

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 16:49 pm

Denford Admin wrote:OK, the problem now is that the Triton didn't have a toolchanger so doesn't have the logic in the mint file to control one.
If you can supply the TriacNS mint from the old version of VRMilling I can compare to the new one and create a new file for you to compile in workbench (to a .mex file)
I won't be able to compile it here as the compiler automatically switches versions according to the firmware level it is connected to at the time.
There is some info on compiling here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2488
How can I send you the TriacNS mint file? I tried to attach in the message and it says that mnt extension is not allowed. I tried through private message and there is no "attach file" option. How do I send you the file?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 16:57 pm

Just .zip it up - zip files are always allowed.

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 17:10 pm

Ok.
I attached the mint file from V2.16 and from V2.31.
I don't know witch one you wanted.
Attachments
TriacNS(1).rar
V2.31 mint file
(4.5 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
TriacNS.rar
V2.16 mint file
(4.4 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 17:33 pm

Hi,
Put these two files into ..\program files\denford\vrmilling.
Then re-activate Triac in the VRMilling software.

If this goes back to high pitched buzzing again then you will need to open TriacNS.mnt in workbench and compile that file according to the level of firmware you have at the moment. workbench tells you in the bottom status bar what the firmware version is when you've connected to the machine.
It could be that you need to compile it to TriacNS.52xx.mex
Attachments
TriacNS.zip
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 508 times

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Tue 26 Feb , 2013 13:45 pm

Well, it didn't work.
The same problem happened (speed, brake and potentiometer problems).
Then I tried to compile the mnt file, there were 9 errors found. All of them because of line 30 "SRAMP[ALLAXES] = 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000". I then put a ' before the line, to cancel it (as it is in TritonNS.mnt). After doing so I compiled the file to "TriacNS.52xx.mex", "TriacNS.51xx.mex" and "TriacNS.mex" (because I was not sure witch one the machine was using). The same problems were still there.

I then tried to input tool change routine in "TritonNS.mnt" file. Compiled it and communicated with the machine. Without the tool change routine VRMilling software says that the tool had changed even if hadn't. With the routine the software stops working everytime I try to change tool.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 10:19 am

I really don't understand what's going on here...there should be no need to make all these changes to the .mnt files for a standard machine that did work with v2.16

If you just uninstall everything and make sure you delete everything in c:\program files\denford and then install v2.16 does the machine work again like it used to?
If so, and you still want to upgrade to v2.31, then install that and overwrite all the Triacxxx.xxx files from the 2.16 installation CD
(The only difference between the 2 Triacns files you posted earlier is that one is Microstepping and the other isn't...nothing else would be effected (eg pots or brake)

If the machine doesn't work then we need to find the fault with the machine / electrics under v2.16

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 15:46 pm

Denford Admin wrote:I really don't understand what's going on here...there should be no need to make all these changes to the .mnt files for a standard machine that did work with v2.16

If you just uninstall everything and make sure you delete everything in c:\program files\denford and then install v2.16 does the machine work again like it used to?
No, it doesn't. Actually, ever since I removed the EEProm from the card it has not worked fine. After I removed the EEProm the Z brake stopped working. When I am running v2.16 with TriacNS selected the Z motor doesn't make that shrill noise, but the brake doesn't release the motor, M codes don't work at all and the potentiometers are not recognized by the software. When I am running v2.31 with TriacNS selected the Z motor makes a awfull noise, the brake doesn't release the motor, M codes don't work at all and the potentiometers are not recognized either. When running v2.31 with TritonNS everything but the tool change works.
Denford Admin wrote:If so, and you still want to upgrade to v2.31, then install that and overwrite all the Triacxxx.xxx files from the 2.16 installation CD
(The only difference between the 2 Triacns files you posted earlier is that one is Microstepping and the other isn't...nothing else would be effected (eg pots or brake)

If the machine doesn't work then we need to find the fault with the machine / electrics under v2.16
Now, all of a sudden the Z brake is not holding the motor anymore. Everytime I turn off the machine Z axis falls.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 16:10 pm

I'd stick with the 2.16 TriacNS for the time being.
It sounds like there has been an error in the mint when it started running - if this happens the mint stops so nothing would work...pots, mcodes, brake, toolchange
You will be able to check this from workbench...get it connected and monitoring the machine, then connect via VRMilling.
The mint (ie .mex) file will download and start running. If you switch back to workbench you'll be able to see any errors in the terminal window near the bottom.
I can't remember if VR milling and workbench can both talk to the RS232 version card at the same time...they can do on the later USB machines but I'm not sure about RS232 ports. If not then you may have to disconnect from VRMilling then execute the currently downloaded mint from workbench and look for startup errors then.

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 19:09 pm

Something strange has happened, now v2.16 doesn't connect with the machine at all. After progress bar finishes a message "Invalid image format" appears. The green seven led segment shows number 2 on workbench.

MauricioTakano
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Triac NS / VR Milling

Post by MauricioTakano » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 19:31 pm

V2.31 software is still connecting. I connected the machine with VR Milling v2.31 and with Workbench at the same time. I set TriacNS as the active machine and tried to home Z axis. The speed problem happened again, and workbench shows an error 37 "Non-volatile data corrupted on line 100". Line 100 in TriacNS.mnt is "COMMS(7) = NVLONG.POCKET".