VR Milling Licence for Micromill 2000

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Tim H

VR Milling Licence for Micromill 2000

Post by Tim H » Thu 26 Jul , 2012 11:24 am

Hi,
My father and I recently purchased a micromill 2000 CE that was going cheap; unfortunately it came without any software, or even the external machine link cable. I am a complete novice when it comes to CNC, so please forgive my ignorance.

Really I would like to know how much it would cost to purchase a licence for the machine. We have an old laptop running Windows 98 hooked up to it, but could use a laptop running XP if that is a better option. I’ve downloaded both versions 2 and 5 of VR Milling, obviously they won’t run without the licence, but I have been able to communicate with the mill through the Mint Manager program (although I have little idea what that program does, I just followed some examples on this forum). We don’t plan on doing anything too complicated with the mill, probably just some cutting on a 2D plain, or drilling holes in a circular pattern, so I am wondering if version 2 would be adequate, (and I would assume the price would be cheaper).

The attached photo should show most of the mills specs, and the main board of the machine is a Denstep, according to the documents posted on line.

I may have further questions, but for now that’s all.

Thanks

Tim
Attachments
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG (93.85 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: VR Milling Licence for Micromill 2000

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 26 Jul , 2012 16:36 pm

The price of V2 and V5 VR Milling is the same...
V5 is your best bet, it will still run a Denstep based machine, just be sure to select Legacy machines and Micromill Denstep from the menu Setup> Select Machine.
XP would also be the best OS to run it from.
With v5 you'll be able to draw shapes and holes (circle centres) in any CAD package that can output a .dxf file.
The .dxf can then be imported and toolpaths created from the shapes and drill cycles from the circle centres.