mirac pc and microrouter

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

mirac pc and microrouter

Post by littlemoon » Mon 19 Dec , 2011 16:42 pm

hi,

new to the forums and new to owning a mirac pc and a microrouter. both machines have come with software and the licence. i have never used a cnc machine before and would like some help to get started. what i would like to do is make sure both machines operate ok, is there a download or software that will do this ? . i have tried to transfer the info on the floppy discs to a memory stick and i now have a usb to rs32 lead. cheers and i cant wait to get started.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: mirac pc and microrouter

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 21 Dec , 2011 12:24 pm

I guess the Mirac PC runs DOS software off the floppy drive in the side of the electrical cabinet ?
If all is well with the machine it "should just work" when you power it up.

The microrouter probably runs from VR Milling version 2 installed onto a PC/laptop.
Get the latest version of v2 milling here:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads
Download the latest .zip file and there will be help and manuals on there.

The USB>RS232 lead might work, or it might not - if not then you'll need to look at getting a "real" rs232 port either by using an old PC with one built in or fitting a serial expansion card.

post some photos of what you have, especially the inside of the control box

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Thu 22 Dec , 2011 13:28 pm

thanks for the responce to my questions. here is a bit more info on the machines i have.

the lathe is a mirac pc
ser no 4125 or 412s ?
year nov 2003

software vr 1.9

the machine has an 8 tool autochanger and a bijur fluid flex pressurised coolent system.

there is no floppy drive in or outside the control cabinet, just the two connector terminals (one double one single) and the rs232

the router is a microrouter v3
ser no 1633
year oct 2001
software vr 2.9

it comes with a vacume table
there is no floppy drive with this one either. a desk top keyboard came with the machines aswell.

both machines are as new and dont look as if they have done much work. they came direct from a local school which has now closed and a new acadamy has been built.

i have not tried the machines linked up to either the keyboard or a pc/laptop. i have only plugged them in at the mains and they power up and release the door locks. i am going to try connecting one to my laptop with the usb to rs232 and see what happens. thanks and a merry xmass. simon

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 13:39 pm

still need help with set up please.

what leads do i need to connect the lathe or the router to a modern laptop or pc ?

i tried a usb to rs232, it does not seem to work ?

when loading up the software for either machine it gets so far then asks for the dongle to be connected (i dont no what a dongle is ?) i have the liecence key swapped over from the floppy disc to a memory stick along with all the instalation discs

most of the info from the floppy discs is not recognised by my laptop when read from the memory stick ? (lap top too new, will it work with vista).

please help. thanks simon. p.s am i posting my questions in the right part of the forum ?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 30 Dec , 2011 13:46 pm

Open the flash.ini file on the floppy in either notepad or word. Then coppy the complete the complete file & paste it in to the windmill.ini file for millining. Not sure which file the VRTurning is but the last line of the licence will also say. It may be VRTurning.ini. Both files should be in C/ProgramFiles/Denford then VRmilling or VRTurning.

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Tue 03 Jan , 2012 22:56 pm

please can someone help,

one step at a time please,

what lead do i need to connect either machine to a modern lap top.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 04 Jan , 2012 9:51 am

Download & install the latest versions of VRMilling & VRTurning first. (VRMilling version 2.31 & VRTurning version 1.28).
Make sure you have a copy of the licence file for both first though.

http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 04 Jan , 2012 10:42 am

what lead do i need to connect either machine to a modern lap top.
You probably won't get it to connect to a modern laptop - the machines need a reliable RS232 interface in order to work - most USB>RS232 adaptors aren't reliable.
See this post for cabling info:
viewtopic.php?t=544

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Wed 04 Jan , 2012 11:36 am

so one of these wont work http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Adapters_&_Conn ... _info.html do i need an old type pc with the correct ports ?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 04 Jan , 2012 14:38 pm

I have run from a usb to serial adapter before but have not been able to connect since I upgraded to Windows 7.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 04 Jan , 2012 15:07 pm

Some are better quality than others, and some won't have windows 7 / 64-bit drivers
This post shows some we have used and tested, but they're not cheap (form my own experience, a 2nd hand XP laptop with serial port would cost less):
viewtopic.php?t=85

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Wed 04 Jan , 2012 17:43 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Some are better quality than others, and some won't have windows 7 / 64-bit drivers
This post shows some we have used and tested, but they're not cheap (form my own experience, a 2nd hand XP laptop with serial port would cost less):
viewtopic.php?t=85

thanks for the help,

now we can get started :D so an old pc is what in need first. then load up the latest software update as mentioned . just noticed on the floppy discs some say software registration disc (lathe cam,quick cam turning 2d, vr turning) and on the other it says software license disc vr cnc milling. are these all the same i.e what i need to unlock or use the sortware ?.

cheers simon

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 05 Jan , 2012 14:49 pm

Yes those floppy disc will contain the license codes for the software.
Some may have an .exe file on there which will register the software on the PC (after its been installed)
Otherwise you may have to do it manually, see this post for an example of how you enter the flash code into vrmilling v2:
viewtopic.php?t=100

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Thu 05 Jan , 2012 16:01 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Yes those floppy disc will contain the license codes for the software.
Some may have an .exe file on there which will register the software on the PC (after its been installed)
Otherwise you may have to do it manually, see this post for an example of how you enter the flash code into vrmilling v2:
viewtopic.php?t=100

oh, thats good that i have the license for the software :D .

i now have an old pc with the correct ports/connections, i just need an adaptor for the rs232 to the coms port or the correct cable.

i amgoing to get the lathe up and running first. it has an 8 tool auto change will i need some more software to use this or is it already on the current software ? cheers simon

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 05 Jan , 2012 17:07 pm

VR turning will run the machine and the toolchanger - make sure you pick the correct machine type when installing
Mirac if a Baldor control card with a red 7-seg LED or MiracNS if green or orange LED
Depending on toolchanger type, you may have to change the parameter in the software (denny is the password)
1: Grey Scale Toolchanger (usually Novaturn only)
2: BinaryTool Toolchanger DM08 (Denford's own)
3: Baruffaldi TOE80 Toolchanger (without control board)
5: Duplomatic BD80 /20 Toolchanger

You will probably have type 2

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Fri 06 Jan , 2012 16:42 pm

Denford Admin wrote:VR turning will run the machine and the toolchanger - make sure you pick the correct machine type when installing
Mirac if a Baldor control card with a red 7-seg LED or MiracNS if green or orange LED
Depending on toolchanger type, you may have to change the parameter in the software (denny is the password)
1: Grey Scale Toolchanger (usually Novaturn only)
2: BinaryTool Toolchanger DM08 (Denford's own)
3: Baruffaldi TOE80 Toolchanger (without control board)
5: Duplomatic BD80 /20 Toolchanger

You will probably have type 2
when i looked inside the control box with power on i did notice a red 7 displayed. will upload a pic later. cheers again simon. ps ordered a cable, should be here on tues

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Mon 09 Jan , 2012 17:29 pm

software is loaded up, new lead is plugged in and it still wont work. its showing an error message saying either the machine is not connected or the the machine parameters need setting . also when in machine perameters it asks for a pass word ?. i am using an old ibm pc it only has the one coms port so i can not swap and try another .here are a few pics of the machine

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 09 Jan , 2012 17:49 pm

What is the new lead ?
You need to check the pins from one end to the other (ie, the bit that plus into the PC and the bit plugging into the Baldor board)
'bell' out the cable to be sure it's the same as the sketch in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=544
The main pins being pin 2>3 and 3>2 on each of the 9-way D-types
If not then one of the adaptors or cables dosn't match or is faulty.

Check the other stuff in that post to do with BIOS settings etc..

littlemoon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by littlemoon » Tue 10 Jan , 2012 12:53 pm

Denford Admin wrote:What is the new lead ?
You need to check the pins from one end to the other (ie, the bit that plus into the PC and the bit plugging into the Baldor board)
'bell' out the cable to be sure it's the same as the sketch in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=544
The main pins being pin 2>3 and 3>2 on each of the 9-way D-types
If not then one of the adaptors or cables dosn't match or is faulty.

Check the other stuff in that post to do with BIOS settings etc..
thanks again for the help and putting up with me. i will check the cable and make sure the pins match up . i did notice that all the the pins are not used when looking inside the machine. i also tryed the cable plugged into the router,again the pc did not connect. the new cable is a serial rs232 9pin female to 25pin male modem, is this the correct cable ?. cheers simon

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 10 Jan , 2012 13:00 pm

the new cable is a serial rs232 9pin female to 25pin male modem
It's so difficult to tell without testing from one end to the other and I'm never sure what's what.
Normal modem cables tend not to work on UK machines, but did work on machines sent to the USA as they were wired differently inside (the US office use to supply cables from RadioShack or similar whereas as the UK made their own)