Two machines with same error message.

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jcotton

Two machines with same error message.

Post by jcotton » Fri 30 Sep , 2011 16:41 pm

I have a customer who has a micromill w/ VR 2.30.3.947 and a microrouter w/ VR 2.31.3.951.
He states that they both have run flawlessly for years. Now, on the same day, at the same time, BOTH machines dsiplay the following on power up and computer connection: "make sure machine is on" and " connect RS232 cable" or something to that effect. Could this be something to do with the school's computer firewall/security changes? He says that they have had recent "power bumps" due to contruction at the school. What should I check/test to fix this problem?

--James

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Two machines with same error message.

Post by Martin » Fri 30 Sep , 2011 19:38 pm

Hi James,

Check that both of the Baldor boards are powered up. These are the main PCB's. The seven segment LED's (red I presume) should be illuminated when power is turned on. Depending on the age of the machines there will be several fuses & one on the PCB itself if they are not lit.

Also try moving the serial port to a different port if available.

Martin

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Two machines with same error message.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 03 Oct , 2011 9:40 am

It sounds like the RS232 connections have been 'spiked'
Like Martin says, try another PC or serial port (remembering to change the COM port in machine parameters)
If that still dosn't work and the Baldor boards are definately powered up ok (RED seven seg LED), then it's possible that the RS232 port on the Baldor control boards are damaged.