New software for Microrouter v4

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

amesmich

New software for Microrouter v4

Post by amesmich » Thu 06 Jan , 2011 22:26 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a complete software package to get our old router working.

Here's what we have:

MicroRouter V4NS with software version 2.14a

Then we have:
VR 2.30.3.947
2d Design 1.21
Quick Cam vr2.0.0.33

I am ready to buy it all just need help getting what I need and a source to get it from. Our current set up physically works it's just that I can not get the "move exceeds limits" issue to go away with the z axis. So I am prepared to start over with new software and post
processors etc... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: New software for Microrouter v4

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 11:17 am

Denford do the upgrade for that machine to USB and v5 VR Milling.
See these links for Denford machine upgrade info:
Reasons to upgrade to v5: viewtopic.php?t=101
Machine and control upgrade guide: viewtopic.php?t=116

Upgrading the control to USB will make a great difference to your machine and v5 will also allow you to import .dxf and gerber files from other software.
Your Techsoft v1 design software will still work, and create programs that will run on the machine.
v5 milling has a 3D Quick Info button which runs through any programs and will show you where any "move exceeds limits" may occur.

Contact sales :bert: denford :ernie: co :ernie: uk for pricing

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 11:19 am

The "Move Exceed Limits" just means the the Z axis is trying to move to a position it cannot physically reach. Try the following

1. Check you have set the offsets correctly
2. Put a piece of sacrificial material under your work material ( Reset offsets)
or
3. Dont push the tool right up to the hilt in the spindle tool holder, leave it short ( Reset offsets)
or
4. I think on a Microrouter v4 the spindle mother holder bracket could be adjustered up / down

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks for the tip but I just cant get it to work. I understand the problem and see it but cant fix it.

The output of the post processor on 2D design tells the router to move the Z axis to 2, but obviously it can not. The machine code and program code was 0 on all axis so 2 was not possible to jog to since any movement will be negative. I then rest the z axis offset so I could jog the z axis in the program code to 2 but it still exceeded the limits.

I was not sure if I had 2D design set up correctly or not, or if the problem solely lies in the offset settings.

In any event, I have been afforded some money to spend and I think I will get our hardware and software updated. I will email sales_at_denford_dot_ co_dot_uk today.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 12:55 pm

Just as a check, when you think you have set the offsets, home the machine again, then jog the tool so its centre line is over the bottom left hand coner of your work piece, then jog the z axis down so that the tool is just touching the top of the work piece. Using the Co Ordinate button in the control panel window, press it so that PROGRAM appears the the axis read out window, if the the offsets have been set correctly then they should rought read zero on all axes. "Move Exceeds Limits" will not go away with a Hardware and Software upgrade, but as Admin says, you will see other benefits, including DXF, DWG and Gerber (PCB) file import facilities and of course faster throughput with the USB connection.

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 13:24 pm

I finally got it after messing with if for the longest time. It was my offsets. The Max Z axis was 80 however I found its actually a little less than that. So as you mentioned by adjusting the body of the router in the holder I can fix that. I am starting to understand this Thanks to you.

I really appreciate your responses and I have emailed sales and mentioned you and this forum. Thanks again.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 13:41 pm

As Bradders said earlier in the post. If your workpiece is high to start with the tool will try and park above it which may exceed the travel of the axis.

You have 80mm to work with so if the top of your component is 70mm above the bottom limit of travel you only have 10mm clear above. This means you have to have a z park position of 5 or so you will be OK. You would have to edit the program.

If you have tall components then it may be worth adjusting the hieght of the Z motor. The backplate of the motor has 3 positions that can be used and they align on a keyway. If you lift the motor mounting bracket one position then home up and reset your datum position it should all work.

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Fri 07 Jan , 2011 14:31 pm

Yep your dead on. I did not know enough but after messing around enough I got it to work and then it all clicked in my head.

Thanks all.