Desktop Tutor .keys file information

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Desktop Tutor .keys file information

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 05 Nov , 2010 12:20 pm

Information on the layout of the .keys file used for Desktop Tutor keyboards
This .pdf shows the number of each key, and the .keys text file showing how keynumbers correspond to special functions (Ascii character codes are used for standard key functions)
Hopefully it's fairly self explanatory :shock:
Attachments
Tutor-Keys-File-Information.pdf
(236.52 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times

Jeff_HATC

Re: Desktop Tutor .keys file information

Post by Jeff_HATC » Wed 02 Nov , 2011 23:40 pm

The link below is to a pdf file of a .keys map of VR Turning Tutor keys.

Where can I purchase this actual skin that will go into my tutor key pads. The only difference is I need one for VR milling as well as turning.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 03 Nov , 2011 7:57 am

What type of overlays are you after? Fanuc OM and Fanuc OT?
If we have them in stock they are £25.00 each + £5.00 P&P + VAT

Jeff_HATC

Post by Jeff_HATC » Thu 03 Nov , 2011 13:49 pm

As you can see with the attached word document I am a bit confused at what I want. Let me explain what I am trying to do. I have a MicroMill 2000 already attached to a QWERTY keyboard and working fine. I want to hook one of my 6 tutor keyboards to the machine to give a better feel of a controller. I got the connection working, but the mapping is all wrong.

When you go into VR Milling, Edit, Source you can pick one of two controllers. I really like the fanuc O controller, but I don’t have a .keys file or tutor skin that resembles it.

My second choice is the Lathe keyboard file as show in this .pdf file. But it is for a lathe and not a mill, and I don’t have a skin for that….although I think the VRTUTOR.KEYS files is correct.

My 3rd choice is to use my existing skins, but I don’t have a .keys file for that.
Attachments
Tutor Keys.doc
(3.87 MiB) Downloaded 857 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 03 Nov , 2011 17:46 pm

Its a bit confusing as there was a mix of old style Fanuc overlays which are the ones you have.
They were originally made for the DOS machines to look like a Fanuc-0T or 0M they were then made to work (sort of) on VR Milling and VR Turning.
The Turning layout you prefer was never made into a proper overlay - IIRC
The black and brown layouts were however, and I think these are what Bradders has still in stock...
There is also another style of overlay we had made to look similar to a Fanuc 21i control.

The following attachments are for milling versions and can be found on the VR Milling CD's (both version 2 and 5).
Attachments
milling-tutor-overlays.jpg
milling-tutor-overlays.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 13486 times
Fanuc21iM.pdf
(94.46 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
VRMillingTutor.pdf
(85.44 KiB) Downloaded 774 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 03 Nov , 2011 17:50 pm

By the way, sorry we're a bit vague on these - no one really ever used the tutor layouts on the VR software.
PC's with spare RS232 ports are so hard to find nowadays that I don't think many ever will...

Jeff_HATC

Post by Jeff_HATC » Wed 16 Nov , 2011 0:58 am

Still working on the Tutor keyboards without success. :cry: Attached is a copy of the manual I have. I do not have the software for this. It looks like it is windows software of some sort, but the manual never says anything about software. Does anyone know what software this manual is referencing? (it is a 2001 manual)
TutorCover.jpg
TutorCover.jpg (293.64 KiB) Viewed 13454 times
So since I don’t have that software, I am still trying to get one of my 6 denford tutor keyboards working with the old DOS software. I have a windows 98/se machine with a 9 pin serial port and ps2 style mouse and keyboards. I loaded the FANUCMD software and I can get the software to load and bring up the Tutor screen. But nothing works from there.
I have the Denford tutor keyboard plugged into the 9 pin serial port. It is defined in the bios as $3F8 on IRQ 4. Device manager is set at 9600,N,8,1 and I have tried all the flow controls.

The .GO file is as follows (I have tried several variations)

VGA.CRT 0
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 COM2
FANUCMD.APP

A few things I am confused on.
What does 18.2 do? How do I tie the Denford tutor keyboard to Com 1? I am guessing the com2 does not need to be there, but it will not load without the command.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 12:06 pm

Pretty sure that's the CNC Tutor software (unfortunately named the same as our desktop tutor keyboards)

That software was supplied by Denford a few years ago but was actually by a 3rd party (Steve Johnson)
I'm not sure if we have any downloads or where to get support for it...

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 12:07 pm

Just found Steve's CNC website:
http://www.cnctrain.com/

Jeff_HATC

Post by Jeff_HATC » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 14:44 pm

You said "Pretty sure that's the CNC Tutor software (unfortunately named the same as our desktop tutor keyboards)"

Are you saying that that software had nothing to do with the tutor keyboards?

Wow, no wonder I am so confused. I thought the software in this manual was a windows based version that would run the tutor keyboards.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 14:55 pm

You and me both - I don't remember much about the CNC tutor software but am sure it had a Heidenhain emulator - that's what made me think about this other software, as Denford didn't do a windows based Heidenhain.
As far as I know the windows-based "CNC tutor" software would work from a "Desktop tutor" keyboard

If you can't find the original software, I've found versoin 1.75a of cncTutor.exe, cncTurn.exe and cncMill.exe
However, I'll need to check if these are protected by dongle or license somehow - I don't want to be giving away someone elses software :shock:

Jeff_HATC

Post by Jeff_HATC » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 17:36 pm

I know that we WOULD have had a 6 user license. That is why we have 6 VR mill licenses, 6 tutor keyboards, and 6 tutor manuals.
Were the dongles ever embedded into a 25 to 9 pin adapter?
Really hoping I can get my hands on this software. This would answer a LOT of my problems.

BTW, steve's site is pretty cool too.
Just think if steve's software would work on a touch screen?
That would be the most awsome offline control simulation.
Thanks!!!

Jeff_HATC

Post by Jeff_HATC » Wed 30 Nov , 2011 16:38 pm

Went to Steve's site had some e-mail correspondance back and forth.

What steve has is wonderful, however it is much more than I need.

I would prefer to get the cnctutor.exe and cncturn.exe files if possible.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 30 Nov , 2011 17:03 pm

Ok I'll email you in the next few minutes...

malutki69
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by malutki69 » Sun 28 Aug , 2016 12:27 pm

bradders wrote:What type of overlays are you after? Fanuc OM and Fanuc OT?
If we have them in stock they are £25.00 each + £5.00 P&P + VAT
Hello do you still have got the skin desktop tutor? I like buy one. I need exacly this on. file:///C:/Users/gmamessrm/Desktop/Tutor-Keys-File-Information.pdf
Regards
Attachments
Tutor-Keys-File-Information.pdf
(236.52 KiB) Downloaded 564 times