MicroMill 2000 software query

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000 #SP 38556 April 1996
ORAC CNC Lathe November 1983

MicroMill 2000 software query

Post by milton d » Tue 31 Aug , 2010 18:33 pm

Good evening gentlemen!

I live in Tennessee, USA and recently purchased one of the above-mentioned cute little training mills. The machine itself was used very little and is in like new condition. It is #SP 38556, dated April 1996. The chip on the SmartStep/3 board reads "denmint 2.0.B10/S/B19-JD5" It came from a school auction and all the original software, dongle (if it came with one) and cable are unfortunately unavailable. Why someone didn't toss the s/w disc, cable and manual inside the machine absolutely amazes me. :shock:

I have downloaded the FanucSMD DOS software and installed it in an old 386 W95 laptop booted in the DOS mode. The manual .pdf I downloaded mentions an install routine but I see no .bat or .exe files in the download other than fanucsmd.exe. There is a file named "install.1" (I think it was) but doesn't do anything that I can detect.

When I try to run the .exe, it almost instantly gives me a 128/abort error. I had the laptop connected via a straight through serial cable to the external DB25. I picked up 2 more cables at work today, hoping maybe one of them is configured differently and will work.

I've been reading everything I can find on your wonderful forum but am still unsure as to which cable is to be used with an American market MicroMill. I found several posts with the same issue but none (that I found) have a clear response as to what worked to get FanucSMD (I hope this is the correc s/w) "talking to" an early MicroMill.

Any thoughts on getting this little fellow to respond would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Milton Dickey
Collierville, TN USA

ps: If I do get this machine up & running, I hereby pledge that I will post clearly what worked. :D
"Accuracy is the combined total of your compensating mistakes."

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: MicroMill 2000 software query

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 01 Sep , 2010 9:22 am

According to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2211&hilit=denstep+eprom
You should be running V2 VR Milling - the machine must have had an EPROM upgrade in the past.

You can download the software, but you will struggle without a license code (normally on a 3.5 inch floppy)
Denford normally charge for replacement software and license: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2543

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by milton d » Wed 01 Sep , 2010 15:18 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply!

The V2 VR Milling software license code would be available from the main Denford website? I presume it's pretty expensive but would like to know what it would cost before deciding how to proceed.

Sounds like the eprom chip decides what kind of s/w will communicate with the SmartStep/3 controller. Thanks for that. I was wasting my time trying to get a DOS program to work, eh?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 01 Sep , 2010 15:22 pm

I presume it's pretty expensive
Probably more than you paid for the machine at a school auction !

I'm sure the DOS eprom can be downloaded here somewhere.

How about the school ? Have they a dongle or flash code disk ?

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by milton d » Wed 01 Sep , 2010 16:45 pm

Thanks again. I only paid $120 U.S. :D

I purchased it from a Craigslist seller who sold it for the man who bought it from the school auction. Apparently it was in storage for quite a few years and the computer, s/w discs & cable were all long gone. Bummer. :cry:

So the eprom data for DOS use can be downloaded here? Interesting! So that would involve purchasing a "blank" eprom and procuring some kind of burner & software to program the chip?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 9:09 am

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by milton d » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 13:06 pm

Thank you again. :D Interesting stuff!

Much reading and pondering to do now. After reading many posts, it looks like getting this controller up & running may be (for me) a bit dodgy. :(

I haven't found a thread yet where someone attempted to get a MicroMill running without all the original s/w and attachments that had a successful ending.

I found one thread where someone removed the auxiliary board with the eeprom from a Eurostep board and connected directly to the 96 pin header to control it with other s/w. Dunno if that'd work on a SmartStep/3 though?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 13:19 pm

Yes you should be able to remove the top board off the smartstep and wire directly to the step+direction pins on the 96 way header - I'm pretty sure those pins have never changed..
You could then use something like Mach to output the step+direction through the Parallel port, or via a more modern USB driven breakout board that Mach can talk to.

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by milton d » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 14:02 pm

OK, now that sounds doable. I thought I was stuck with serial communications using the SmartStep board but you do think it will respond to the signals that come from a "normal" control program via the parallel port if I connect directly to the proper pins on the header?

I'm getting excited now! Don't tell 'er indoors; she'll get that look she always gets when I disappear into the workshop for an entire weekend. :roll:

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 14:25 pm

Yes it should be easy although you will need something to switch the signals and not directly take them off the printer port eg http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=203

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2264

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 14:29 pm

PS - don't take my word that the CNC4pc board will do the job you want - you need to ask them or do more searching on the Mach (Artsoft) and CNCzone forums

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by milton d » Thu 02 Sep , 2010 15:03 pm

That's awesome; thank you so much! Yes I will definitely research it with some of my more CNC/computer-savvy friends.

The item you linked to is within my budgetary constraints. Mach 3 is out of my comfort zone so I will try one of the other free/inexpensive programs or Mach's tryout version. I have a homemade CNC router with MaxNC DOS s/w I've had running for many years but it's the older (1998) version with "wave drive" controller instead of step & direction.

Again, thanks for your help & support. When I get this little gem under control I'll post a how-to thread to hopefully help others facing similar problems.

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by milton d » Sun 05 Sep , 2010 12:34 pm

SUCCESS AT LAST! :D

Look here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3022 for the story if you're interested.