finding ancient software

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

k.akers

finding ancient software

Post by k.akers » Mon 28 Jun , 2010 11:25 am

just started at a new school and they have a cnc router from a few years ago. they havent ever got it going due to software difficulties. apparently they had some denford software that i guess they exported thier 2d design drawings into before sending it to the machine.
its a dunn and co built bit of kit called a connect numerical control
i can post a picture if you think you may have a similar machine.
i was wandering if any other schools/college might have got one and have it working, if so could i discuss what we need to do

thanks in advance

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: finding ancient software

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 28 Jun , 2010 15:36 pm

The original software that 'talked' to the Conect machines was DOS based and about 10 years ago, people began to find that it just wouldn't run on faster PC's.

Denford added the ability to talk to the Conect machines in its VR Milling software (version 2).
For it to work, you must have the Denford hardware dongle with the Conect machine option turned on.
Then just make sure VR Milling has got the correct Conect machine selected as active in machine parameters.

k.akers

Post by k.akers » Tue 29 Jun , 2010 12:07 pm

is the dongle the small grey connector that goes between the 25 pin ouput and the cable going to the CAM machine? if so we have this but it doesn't have any option on the unit itself. or is the connect machine option on the version 2 of the VR milling software?

thanks again

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 29 Jun , 2010 12:23 pm

Yes the dongle is grey and goes into the parallel printer port.
The machine itself should go to the COM1 or COM2 serial RS232 ports.
The CONECT machine option is turned on in V2 VR Milling by fitting the correct dongle
NB, we have problems getting the dongle to work now on newer PC's and Operating systems, so hopefully you still have the original PC. Oh and newer PC's tend to not come with RS232 (9 pin) or parallel (25 pin) printer ports either which is why we now use USB for the machine, and a security key file.

k.akers

Post by k.akers » Wed 30 Jun , 2010 10:57 am

is there somewhere i can get a copy of VR 2 as the school seems to be running version 1. i have an old machine ready for use as well as the dongle, so if i can get the software im nearly there. Finally, as ive only used much more recent machines where i could simply send the design stright from 2d to the cutter, is there an instruction PDF (or similar) that can take me through the stages of exporting a design to VR2 from techsoft (and to the machine if possible, although im certain the department should have te required info for that stage)
cheers

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 30 Jun , 2010 11:26 am

Software can be downloaded from here:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

Just look through the posts in the Techsoft section for info on that:
viewforum.php?f=3

nb that version 2 techsoft will not output to a Denford machine at all -in that case you need to create a dxf and import to either QuickCAM 2D or Version 5 milling.
Obviously you won't have those, so for now I'd concentrate on getting the machine to cut anything simple from V2 milling, to start with.

k.akers

Post by k.akers » Wed 30 Jun , 2010 12:22 pm

have just looked at the back of machine again and realised that the PARALLEL port with the dentford dongle was connected to our CAM 1 and 2 (i have since tested without the dongle and it is still working) the connect numerical CAM is a 9 pin serial port and so the dongle does not fit. is there a seperate dongle that we require? or can it be run without a dongle.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 30 Jun , 2010 12:25 pm

The dongle fits into the parallel 25-pin port (it sounds ok where it was and the CAMM machines should still work with it fitted)

The machine link cable should fit into the 9-way rs232 com port

The dongle doesn't need to be in the same port as the machine link

k.akers

Post by k.akers » Wed 30 Jun , 2010 12:54 pm

thanks for that last tip, got a bit panicky then!
so, ive got the VR 2 software and its talking to the connect CNC machine. ive managed to move the X,Y,Z axis through VR2. i now want to send a design from the VR2 to the machine and have found that 2d does not save or export to the correct format. is there something i am doing wrong? i read on another post that you pointed me towards that you needed to select a plot option that i dont have, is there something im missing.
thanks once again.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 30 Jun , 2010 13:14 pm

Hi,

There is no way to send a design from Techsoft Version 2 to the machine or post process the files.

From Version 1 Techsoft you had to buy a Denford extension to techsoft. This was the Techsoft 3 1/2" registration disc (that had to say "Extensions Denford")

To create machine files from Techsoft Version 2 you would need to do one of the following:

Have your machine upgraded to run VR Milling 5 (which requires the machine to have a new processor fitted and USB Comms) You would then be able to import files from Techsoft V2 by saving them as DXF files.

Purchase Quick CAM 2D Design which would allow you to import from Techsoft V2 by saving them as DXF files. QuickCAM 2D would then export the FNC files to be run from your machine.

Find out if the school used to have techsoft 2D Ver 1 with the Denford extension. If this is the case load this on the computer you have. (you can have both V1 and V2 running on the same PC) When designing in V2 Techsoft you can save the files in a V1 format. Then you could open the file in V1 and use the post in there (File Plot then select the Denford Machine from the plot list).

k.akers

Post by k.akers » Thu 01 Jul , 2010 9:30 am

is it possible to get hold of the dentford extension pack for the V1 of 2d designs anywhere?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 01 Jul , 2010 9:42 am

You can get the denford part of it free here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

You will have to contact Techsoft for them to add it to your original license - I think there is a small charge

k.akers

Post by k.akers » Wed 07 Jul , 2010 12:23 pm

ive got quick cam 2d and vr milling 2d, vr milling has installed fine but quick cam asks me to insert the dongle so as it can find the registration, ive put the dongle into the parallel port but its claiming its not there. is there a different dongle for the quick cam 3d and 2d as i can oly see that we have the 3d cd's. if this is the case can i get a registration for the 2d i downlaoded through this site?
cheers