help with flstep and novaturn please

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

help with flstep and novaturn please

Post by audio.fi » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 2:29 am

I have a novaturn and novamill, and have had great help from the forum members (thanks), and have now tested the mill and it seems to be running correctly.

I have the downloaded the flstep software which I believe is the correct software for the novaturn, and have also got the correct go and opt files for my machine after giving the serial number to the forum (thanks again).

However, what I thought would be a simple task to put the software onto a floppy and then change the go and opt file to suit, has turned out to be not so simple.

There is several folders in the zip for different machines, so I thought I would remove those folders, so I removed the folders :-

cyclone
generic
microtur
mirac
tu150e

This left me with the following folder :-

novaturn

plus the files outside the folder of :-

flstep.app
flstep.exe
flstep.grt
flstep.shp

That would have been o.k. in itself but what is confusing me is that there is a file duplicated within the novaturn folder. For instance, there is a folder within the novaturn folder called "incim" and within this are the files called flstep.go and flstep.opt.
However, there is already the file called flstep.opt in the main novaturn folder, and looking at them in notepad shows that they are not the same, i.e. the parameters are different.

Now I am confused as to whether I should remove the single flstep.opt so there is only the one in the incim folder.
Also, should the files outside the novaturn folder be moved into the novaturn folder so that they are all in the same directory so-to-speak.

When I made the floppy for the novamill, it was all in the one folder so I expected it to be the same, so obviously I am not sure what to have on the disk

I hope I have explained myself well enough for someone to understand me.

Any help appreciated.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: help with flstep and novaturn please

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 9:54 am

I would guess that the incim folder contains files that would set the machine up to run in a CIM cell (ie in a manufacturing system with robots, conveyors etc..) so I'd ignore those files.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 13:17 pm

Denford Admin wrote:I would guess that the incim folder contains files that would set the machine up to run in a CIM cell (ie in a manufacturing system with robots, conveyors etc..) so I'd ignore those files.
Thanks.
Do you think the rest of the files be in one folder i.e. novaturn, as some of the files are outside the folder. The structure is as follows :-

flstep / novaturn / then :-

flstep.app
flstep.exe
flstep.grt
flstep.shp

inside the novaturn folder is :-

autoexec.bat
flstep.msg
flstep.opt
prouduct.din
product.ini
qwerty.go
tutor.go
plus the folder incim containing :-
flstep.go
flstep.opt

I have looked at the files qwerty.go and tutor.go, and it looks to me like the flstep.go file, so I don't know what to copy and paste to insert the .go file I have for my machine.
Another words, does it matter what the .go file is called as long as it has the .go extension ? I'm really confused !!!

Thanks.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 13:41 pm

We have some records of .opt files, so if you give me the serial number of machine, I might be able to post it up, eg:

File: 70217G.OPT (11th March 1997)

Code: Select all

NOVATURN  BETTWS COMP  SCH. NEWPORT  S.WALES  70217G 11/3/97

autoerror 0
dragmarking 0
displaysize 3            {PRODUCT OPTIONS FILE AS OF 10/09/96
narrowsimbox 0           {FOR NOVATURN
utils_menu_1 Dos Access
utils_go_1 dos
utils_menu_2 Turning Designer
utils_go_2 ldesign
mirac_sdevice machine
showtool 0
{--------FEEDS & SCALING-----------------
slave_accel 120
mint_mfact 200
highfeed 1000
highfeedz 1500
{--------SPINDLE----------------
slave_spindlelag 35
safespindle 150
slave_encoder 2000
slave_thread 1
HIGHSPINDLE 3500
{--------TOOLPOST---------------
SLAVE_ATC 3
MAXTOOL 8
{--------X-AXIS-----------------
MACHINEEXTENTX 140 
MOVERANGEX 140
CHUCKCENTREX 60
CHUCKX 80 
JAWSX 10
BILLETX 30
{-------Z-AXIS------------------
MACHINEEXTENTZ 160.30 
MOVERANGEZ 130.30
CHUCKZ 20
JAWSZ 10
BILLETZ 50
--------MISCELLANEOUS FUNCS-----
datumorder 1

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FLSTEP.APP

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 14:53 pm

Denford Admin wrote:We have some records of .opt files, so if you give me the serial number of machine, I might be able to post it up, eg:

File: 70217G.OPT (11th March 1997)

Code: Select all

NOVATURN  BETTWS COMP  SCH. NEWPORT  S.WALES  70217G 11/3/97

autoerror 0
dragmarking 0
displaysize 3            {PRODUCT OPTIONS FILE AS OF 10/09/96
narrowsimbox 0           {FOR NOVATURN
utils_menu_1 Dos Access
utils_go_1 dos
utils_go_2 ldesign
mirac_sdevice machine
showtool 0
slave_accel 120
mint_mfact 200
highfeed 1000
highfeedz 1500
slave_spindlelag 35
safespindle 150
slave_encoder 2000
slave_thread 1
HIGHSPINDLE 3500
SLAVE_ATC 3
MAXTOOL 8
MACHINEEXTENTX 140 
MOVERANGEX 140
CHUCKCENTREX 60
CHUCKX 80 
JAWSX 10
BILLETX 30
MACHINEEXTENTZ 160.30 
MOVERANGEZ 130.30
CHUCKZ 20
JAWSZ 10
BILLETZ 50
datumorder 1

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FLSTEP.APP
Thank you very much but I have the correct opt and go files; I think Bradders posted them up for me.
What I am confused about is what file to paste them to because there is a duplicate file in there and also whether there should be one folder with all the files in it, which is not the case from the download I got from the denford web site. Thanks.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 17:02 pm

The "Flstep.opt" file should read as below. Copy & paste it over the one you have downloaded.

autoerror 0
dragmarking 0
displaysize 3 {PRODUCT OPTIONS FILE AS OF 10/09/96
narrowsimbox 0 {FOR NOVATURN
utils_menu_1 Dos Access
utils_go_1 dos
utils_go_2 ldesign
mirac_sdevice machine
showtool 0
slave_accel 120
mint_mfact 200
highfeed 1000
highfeedz 1500
slave_spindlelag 35
safespindle 150
slave_encoder 2000
slave_thread 1
HIGHSPINDLE 3500
SLAVE_ATC 3
MAXTOOL 8
MACHINEEXTENTX 140
MOVERANGEX 140
CHUCKCENTREX 60
CHUCKX 80
JAWSX 10
BILLETX 30
MACHINEEXTENTZ 160.30
MOVERANGEZ 130.30
CHUCKZ 20
JAWSZ 10
BILLETZ 50
datumorder 1

The "Flstep.go" file should read as below. Copy & paste it over the one you have downloaded.

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FLSTEP.APP

All the files should be in the same area of the disc.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Tue 25 Aug , 2009 0:55 am

Martin wrote:The "Flstep.opt" file should read as below. Copy & paste it over the one you have downloaded.

autoerror 0
dragmarking 0
displaysize 3 {PRODUCT OPTIONS FILE AS OF 10/09/96
narrowsimbox 0 {FOR NOVATURN
utils_menu_1 Dos Access
utils_go_1 dos
utils_go_2 ldesign
mirac_sdevice machine
showtool 0
slave_accel 120
mint_mfact 200
highfeed 1000
highfeedz 1500
slave_spindlelag 35
safespindle 150
slave_encoder 2000
slave_thread 1
HIGHSPINDLE 3500
SLAVE_ATC 3
MAXTOOL 8
MACHINEEXTENTX 140
MOVERANGEX 140
CHUCKCENTREX 60
CHUCKX 80
JAWSX 10
BILLETX 30
MACHINEEXTENTZ 160.30
MOVERANGEZ 130.30
CHUCKZ 20
JAWSZ 10
BILLETZ 50
datumorder 1

The "Flstep.go" file should read as below. Copy & paste it over the one you have downloaded.

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FLSTEP.APP

All the files should be in the same area of the disc.
Thanks Martin for the help, but I think I am not explaining myself with this question.

I asked a few days ago what the opt and go files should be for my model and serial number, and they were duly posted from, I think, Bradders, so I am o.k. for that.
I have now saved these text files to my computer, with the intention of copying and pasting them into the flstep programme in the flstep.go and flstep.opt files that I expected to find there, in the same way as I did with the fanucmd for triac that I have used to test the novamill. With that software, it was all in one folder (novamill), and there was only one instance of fanucmd.go and fanucmd.opt.

However, now I have downloaded the flstep software, there is 2 instances of flstep.opt (one on it's own, and one in the "INCIM" folder), and one instance of flstep.go but this is in the imcim folder which (from a previous answer) I remove, then there will be no instance of the .go file.
So, do you think I should remove the incim folder, copy and paste the text for the opt file into the remaining flstep.opt file, then make new flstep.go file and copy and paste my go file text in there ?
I realise it sounds like I am being really detailed about my question, but after the novamill going to the end of its bed and maknig a grinding sound because the opt file was for a different machine, I am very apprehensive about doing anything wrong this time. The novamill escaped damaged but I am extra careful now.

Thanks very much.

P.S. Should I also include the "drivers" from the download section of the wed site onto the floppy disk, as I did for fanucmd for the novamill ? Thanks.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 25 Aug , 2009 13:59 pm

Not sure why the downloads have been done like that. Yes you do not require the INCIM directory. & you need to add the Drivers2 to the disc. Then edit or create the OPT & GO files to match as above.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Tue 25 Aug , 2009 17:09 pm

Martin wrote:Not sure why the downloads have been done like that. Yes you do not require the INCIM directory. & you need to add the Drivers2 to the disc. Then edit or create the OPT & GO files to match as above.
Thanks Martin.

I will try this and post here as to how I get on with it.

P.S. where on the forum should I post questions about the serial cables. I am having a problem with some new ones I have just got. Thanks.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:16 am

I'd put cable questions under machines.
I really think a forum restructure is in order so that old software, new software, electrical/electronics, mechanical are more seperated.
It's always difficult though because you always get something inbetween like say, RS232 cable testing software - would that come under software or electronics ?

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Wed 26 Aug , 2009 13:45 pm

Denford Admin wrote:I'd put cable questions under machines.
I really think a forum restructure is in order so that old software, new software, electrical/electronics, mechanical are more seperated.
It's always difficult though because you always get something inbetween like say, RS232 cable testing software - would that come under software or electronics ?
I totaly agree. I asked because some forums are very particular, and I have seen where people's postings have been moved to a different section.

I also agree that an "old software" or "dos software" section would be very useful.