2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Steve, Mr Magoo, Martin, bradders

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Tue 04 Aug , 2009 3:11 am

Hi,

I have a novaturn and novamill, and would like to be able to control them using one p.c. which I have built from an older m/board (sempron processor, usb 1.0 vintage). However, it only has one rs232 interface so I cannot even plug one machine into it.

I already know that you can get a pci card with rs232 ports on them and have found that you can get them with 4 ports on them.

What I would like to do is to connect both machines (i.e. both control boxes and both tutor keyboards), to the one p.c. under dos ( I will be using the Denford dos software to control the machines), to use only one machine at a time (i.e. only one control box on at any one time).

Can this be achieved by designating which com ports the respective software communicates with i.e. have say, the novaturn box and keyboard on com 1 and com 2, and the novamill box and keyboard on com 3 and com 4 , and designate which ports each software works with ?

The pci card I have chosen is a "LINDY 4 Port Serial RS-232 16C950 128 Byte FIFO PCI Card"

This seems to be one of the few that advertise that they work under DOS, and comes with dos software to programme it functioning.

What about baud rates ? I know nothing about it, so what baud rate should the card need to be able to run at ?

Thank you for any help you can give.

User avatar
Denford Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3588
Joined: Fri 10 Feb , 2006 12:40 pm
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.
Location: Sunny Brighouse
Contact:

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 04 Aug , 2009 8:56 am

I think these will help:

Different .GO files for DOS FLSTEP Software
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=740

Desk top tutor software on a different number serial port
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=296

Can I operate my DOS machine software from a QWERTY keyboard
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59

How do I change which COM ports my DOS machine software uses
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58

I think you're right to be cautious, and look for DOS compatibility on the RS 232 port.
Although, if you operate the software from a QWERTY keyboard, you may only need 2 rs232 ports in all ?
Are you sure there isn't a second one on the motherboard ? sometimes they just brought one out to the case, and the other would be left as DIL pins on the Motherboard and disabled in BIOS chipset features.

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Fri 07 Aug , 2009 23:43 pm

Read your post in the software section but thought I'd reply here.... and I'm afraid the news doesn't sound too good :(

It is very unlikely you will get a PCI serial card working with the DOS software. The reason for this is that the DOS software requires a unique Interrupt (IRQ) assigning to each port, but from looking at the Lindy PCI card (I looked at their part #51272) it doesn't let you configure the IRQs in DOS. If you want to give it a go then look at the README.TXT file that came with the cards DOS drivers - you'll have to put the SETIO.EXE program in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file with the appropriate command line parameters to configure the cards COM Port addresses.

A less complicated route would be to use a switch box to switch serial ports like this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13346

As far as driving the machine goes with your existing setup I'd look at...
  • Investigate if your motherboard does infact have a 2nd serial port (as admin said, it's not unusual to have them fitted to the board but not brought out to the back of the machine).
  • Consider driving the machine from your QWERTY keyboard instead of the DeskTopTutor keypad (I'd suggest this!). That way you only need 1 x COM port per machine (or only 1 x COM port in total if you use the switch box I mentioned)

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Sat 08 Aug , 2009 0:06 am

Mr Magoo wrote:Read your post in the software section but thought I'd reply here.... and I'm afraid the news doesn't sound too good :(

It is very unlikely you will get a PCI serial card working with the DOS software. The reason for this is that the DOS software requires a unique Interrupt (IRQ) assigning to each port, but from looking at the Lindy PCI card (I looked at their part #51272) it doesn't let you configure the IRQs in DOS. If you want to give it a go then look at the README.TXT file that came with the cards DOS drivers - you'll have to put the SETIO.EXE program in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file with the appropriate command line parameters to configure the cards COM Port addresses.

A less complicated route would be to use a switch box to switch serial ports like this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13346

As far as driving the machine goes with your existing setup I'd look at...
  • Investigate if your motherboard does infact have a 2nd serial port (as admin said, it's not unusual to have them fitted to the board but not brought out to the back of the machine).
  • Consider driving the machine from your QWERTY keyboard instead of the DeskTopTutor keypad (I'd suggest this!). That way you only need 1 x COM port per machine (or only 1 x COM port in total if you use the switch box I mentioned)
Thanks for the help.
I am really confused now !!
I just got this lindy card, and with the cables cost over £50.
Are you saying that it is not possible to use the tutor keyboards with a pci card like the one I got, or just that particular card, as I thought that using a pci card is what some are using to run their machines when they don't have enough (or any) rs232 ports.
I wanted to plug both machines in, and configure the ports by changing the .go file, then use the original instruction manual that I have for each machine, as it shows the use of the tutor keyboards, which I think will make it easier for me to learn from.
I have loaded the window drivers and software, which allows various parameters to be confugured, so can't this be used, whlst using the dos within a window ?
If not, what options do I have to enable me to use the keyboard and the original dos software. I might be able to send the pci card back, but would rather not if I can use the card.
The m/board does not have a second port so this is not an option open to me.
Thanks.

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Sat 08 Aug , 2009 1:10 am

Any PCI card is great for Windows based software but not good for DOS based.
audio.fi wrote:Are you saying that it is not possible to use the tutor keyboards with a pci card like the one I got, or just that particular card, as I thought that using a pci card is what some are using to run their machines when they don't have enough (or any) rs232 ports.
Only for the Windows s/ware. The DOS s/ware will not work using a PCI card (someone may prove me wrong but the chances of a reliable connection are very slim).
audio.fi wrote:I have loaded the window drivers and software, which allows various parameters to be confugured, so can't this be used, whlst using the dos within a window ?
No. Even a DOS window within windows will bypass all the windows drivers and try to talk to the Serial Ports directly. The problem is that the old DOS software doesn't know how to talk to the PCI card (because the PCI spec was created some years after the DOS spec. for serial ports)
If not, what options do I have to enable me to use the keyboard and the original dos software. I might be able to send the pci card back, but would rather not if I can use the card.
The m/board does not have a second port so this is not an option open to me.
I really think the best option is to look at getting a motherboard with 2 x serial ports. Pick up a second hand one off ebay and I think you'll be up and running in no time.

Sorry for the negative response - wish I'd seen your post earlier so I could have advised against the PCI purchase :(

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Sat 08 Aug , 2009 2:14 am

Mr Magoo wrote:Any PCI card is great for Windows based software but not good for DOS based.
audio.fi wrote:Are you saying that it is not possible to use the tutor keyboards with a pci card like the one I got, or just that particular card, as I thought that using a pci card is what some are using to run their machines when they don't have enough (or any) rs232 ports.
Only for the Windows s/ware. The DOS s/ware will not work using a PCI card (someone may prove me wrong but the chances of a reliable connection are very slim).
audio.fi wrote:I have loaded the window drivers and software, which allows various parameters to be confugured, so can't this be used, whlst using the dos within a window ?
No. Even a DOS window within windows will bypass all the windows drivers and try to talk to the Serial Ports directly. The problem is that the old DOS software doesn't know how to talk to the PCI card (because the PCI spec was created some years after the DOS spec. for serial ports)
If not, what options do I have to enable me to use the keyboard and the original dos software. I might be able to send the pci card back, but would rather not if I can use the card.
The m/board does not have a second port so this is not an option open to me.
I really think the best option is to look at getting a motherboard with 2 x serial ports. Pick up a second hand one off ebay and I think you'll be up and running in no time.

Sorry for the negative response - wish I'd seen your post earlier so I could have advised against the PCI purchase :(
Thanks for the clear reply; I now understand why it won't work.
If I need to use windows based software in order to use the pci card, then what software should I use (hopefully free or low cost) that will work with the mill and lathe, and I can learn on ?
Thanks.

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Sat 08 Aug , 2009 11:56 am

I'm not sure on pricing of the windows based s/ware so suggest you try to PM Admin for details.

As an alternative, you could try running the DOS software in the DOSBOX emulator ( http://www.dosbox.com/ ).
This software runs in windows (certainly in WinXP, not sure about win98) and emulates old PC hardware.
The theory is that you can run the DOS software in this emulator and it will emulate the DOS serial ports (it actually emulates the entire hardware of a good old 486 style of machine running DOS) , but uses the Windows serial port drivers and so allow you to use your PCI card.

I have found from experience that it isn't always straight forward - in particular you need to edit the DosBox.CFG file to specify your serial port mappings (defining which emulated DOS ports map to your windows serial ports) and remember it's trying to emulate stuff so things aren't always guaranteed to work, but it's freeware so could be worth giving it a try.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Sun 09 Aug , 2009 20:17 pm

Mr Magoo wrote:I'm not sure on pricing of the windows based s/ware so suggest you try to PM Admin for details.

As an alternative, you could try running the DOS software in the DOSBOX emulator ( http://www.dosbox.com/ ).
This software runs in windows (certainly in WinXP, not sure about win98) and emulates old PC hardware.
The theory is that you can run the DOS software in this emulator and it will emulate the DOS serial ports (it actually emulates the entire hardware of a good old 486 style of machine running DOS) , but uses the Windows serial port drivers and so allow you to use your PCI card.

I have found from experience that it isn't always straight forward - in particular you need to edit the DosBox.CFG file to specify your serial port mappings (defining which emulated DOS ports map to your windows serial ports) and remember it's trying to emulate stuff so things aren't always guaranteed to work, but it's freeware so could be worth giving it a try.
I have taken your advice and downloaded dosbox, and also the "D-Fend" front end in the hopes that it will make it easier for me to understand.
Can you help in any way with the co0nfiguration of the com ports, as I am completely lost in all this. I just want to try out the machines and it seems to be getting more and more complicated to acomplish.
I know nothing about dos, or not much anyway, so if you can help I would be very grateful.
I have installed the card and drivers, but the first question I would like to know about is the jumpers on the card. It has jumpers to set "5v at pin 9". Have any idea what I should set it to ?
Also, I have managed to change the designation in windows to make the 4 ports on the card to be com 1,2,3,4. in the d-fend, it has settings (once the fanucmd.exe file is dragged and dropped into it's window), for all sorts of thing I don't understand but I noticed that there is a setting for coms 1,2,3,4 and this can be changed to "dummy", "modem", "nullmodem", "direct serial" and a setting for IRQ i.e. "none" or assign a number. Is this something I should set and how should I set it ?
Also, the hardware manageer for the pci card has many setting that can be set for each com port; Any idea what to set these to ?
Once these are set, I presume I then need to alter the ".go" file to accomodate these settings ?
Do I need to set something in the d-fend to make the ".go" file run before the fanucmd.exe file ?
Thanks for any help you can give; I have worked very hard to build and get it all set up, but this seems to be stumping me !!

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 10 Aug , 2009 11:52 am

I think the 1st goal should be to get the PC to talk to the machine.
And the easiest way to do this is by configuring the software to use the QWERTY keypad, and the machine to connect via COM1. This way we eliminate the need for the LINDY serial ports (and you will earn a lot about the basic config of the machine and about DOS!).
BTW, do not configure the LINDY card as COM 1, 2, 3 and 4. Instead configure it as ports 5, 6, 7 and 8 otherwise it may conflict with the motherboard COM ports. You dot not want the jumper for "5v on pin 9".

To sum up for the Novamill...
  • Download DRIVERS.ZIP and FANUMSMD.ZIP from the Denford website
  • Unzip both of these into a C:\NOVAMILL folder on your PC
  • Edit the FANUCSMD.GO file so it reads...
    IBM.RS2 1
    $3F8 4 MACHINE
    QDENFORD1.KBD 1
    18.2 0
    VGA.CRT 0
    FANUCSMD.APP
  • open a DOS window (or if Win98, reboot in DOS)
  • change to the NOVAMILL folder and run the FANUCSMD.EXE program
The DOS screen should show the progress of loading the drivers, followed by "Initialising MINT3.28", the change to the main CNC control software screen.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Mon 10 Aug , 2009 12:39 pm

Mr Magoo wrote:I think the 1st goal should be to get the PC to talk to the machine.
And the easiest way to do this is by configuring the software to use the QWERTY keypad, and the machine to connect via COM1. This way we eliminate the need for the LINDY serial ports (and you will earn a lot about the basic config of the machine and about DOS!).
BTW, do not configure the LINDY card as COM 1, 2, 3 and 4. Instead configure it as ports 5, 6, 7 and 8 otherwise it may conflict with the motherboard COM ports. You dot not want the jumper for "5v on pin 9".

To sum up for the Novamill...
  • Download DRIVERS.ZIP and FANUMSMD.ZIP from the Denford website
  • Unzip both of these into a C:\NOVAMILL folder on your PC
  • Edit the FANUCSMD.GO file so it reads...
    IBM.RS2 1
    $3F8 4 MACHINE
    QDENFORD1.KBD 1
    18.2 0
    VGA.CRT 0
    FANUCSMD.APP
  • open a DOS window (or if Win98, reboot in DOS)
  • change to the NOVAMILL folder and run the FANUCSMD.EXE program
The DOS screen should show the progress of loading the drivers, followed by "Initialising MINT3.28", the change to the main CNC control software screen.
I appreciate the help, I really do, but you are confusing me.
Your original post said it is very unlikely that I would be able to use a pci card because it will not be able to work within dos.
Then the next day, you said it might be possible by using dosbox as it would be able to use the drivers within windows. I even spent all day installing windows xp as you said it works in xp, which is o.k. as I didn't particularly like 98 anyway.
Now you are going back to the start and wanting me to use a querty keyboard, which is exactly what I want to get away from, as I have the manual for the machine and want to learn using the proper keyboard.
Since I have only just got the pci card a few days ago, I am on a limited time frame with which to send it back, if indeed I can, so I would rather explore getting the pci card to work first, and if this turns out to be not possible, then I will try and send it back for a refund.
I am very very grateful for your help, so if you think you cannot help configuring the card to work, then please let me know and I can put that to one side as an option, then I will have to look around for an old computer as originally suggested to me.

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 10 Aug , 2009 21:23 pm

Ooops - didn't mean to confuse things further. To sum up.

1) The PCI card will not work with DOS.
2) DOSBOX is NOT dos. It is a windows program that emulates dos (which is why the PCI card may work, but no guarantees)
3) We don't yet know if the machine link is OK (cable OK, machine is functioning OK etc.)

So my suggestion is to tackle things step-by-step ...
  • Do my previous suggestion to get the machine running using QWERTY keyboard and 1 x serial port (COM1) in DOS
  • Then try the same in DOSBOX
  • Then try changing to use the TUTOR keypad
Trying to everything at once is going to make it a nightmare to fault find when things don't work!

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Mon 10 Aug , 2009 22:08 pm

Mr Magoo wrote:Ooops - didn't mean to confuse things further. To sum up.

1) The PCI card will not work with DOS.
2) DOSBOX is NOT dos. It is a windows program that emulates dos (which is why the PCI card may work, but no guarantees)
3) We don't yet know if the machine link is OK (cable OK, machine is functioning OK etc.)

So my suggestion is to tackle things step-by-step ...
  • Do my previous suggestion to get the machine running using QWERTY keyboard and 1 x serial port (COM1) in DOS
  • Then try the same in DOSBOX
  • Then try changing to use the TUTOR keypad
Trying to everything at once is going to make it a nightmare to fault find when things don't work!
I understand exactly what you have been suggesting, and I know you wasn't saying dosbox is dos, so today, I tried to run the software (I got with the pci card), by making a dos 6.22 floppy and adding the "setio.exe" programme to the disk.
I booted up and ran the programme, and this time it worked, and I got these results ( I hope this might tell you if it will work with fanucmd (with changes to the aforementioned go file):-

IO-104/PCI-4S bus_no=0,dev_no=b,irq=5

PORT ADDRESSES;
UART 1 = c800 ---------->Com1
UART 2 = c808 ---------->Com2
UART 3 = c810 ---------->Com3
UART 4 = c818 ---------->Com4

I turned off the m/board com1 port in the bios before running this test.

Do you still think it will not work, or now that I have proven communication in DOS, do you think it will be possible to re-map the software / card to work with each other ?

I will try the above suggestions from you tomorrow, but I would like to know if you think the pci route is possible.

By the way, I also think the dosbox route is not great because if I now get communication using proper DOS, then there is perhaps no point with dosbox; I get the impression it is mainly for playing dos games anyway.

Thanks.

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 10 Aug , 2009 23:33 pm

The problem with the Lindy PCI card in DOS is that all 4 x ports are sharing the same IRQ (irq:5).

The Novamill DOS software requires that each serial port has its own IRQ. This is why the PCI card will not work with the Novamill DOS software in DOS.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Tue 11 Aug , 2009 2:44 am

Mr Magoo wrote:I think the 1st goal should be to get the PC to talk to the machine.
And the easiest way to do this is by configuring the software to use the QWERTY keypad, and the machine to connect via COM1. This way we eliminate the need for the LINDY serial ports (and you will earn a lot about the basic config of the machine and about DOS!).
BTW, do not configure the LINDY card as COM 1, 2, 3 and 4. Instead configure it as ports 5, 6, 7 and 8 otherwise it may conflict with the motherboard COM ports. You dot not want the jumper for "5v on pin 9".

To sum up for the Novamill...
  • Download DRIVERS.ZIP and FANUMSMD.ZIP from the Denford website
  • Unzip both of these into a C:\NOVAMILL folder on your PC
  • Edit the FANUCSMD.GO file so it reads...
    IBM.RS2 1
    $3F8 4 MACHINE
    QDENFORD1.KBD 1
    18.2 0
    VGA.CRT 0
    FANUCSMD.APP
  • open a DOS window (or if Win98, reboot in DOS)
  • change to the NOVAMILL folder and run the FANUCSMD.EXE program
The DOS screen should show the progress of loading the drivers, followed by "Initialising MINT3.28", the change to the main CNC control software screen.
Since my last post, I have tried your suggestion about using the keyboard, and followed it to the letter.
When running the fanucsmd.exe software, I get the "error 128" and the software says it has shut down.
I have read other posts from links given to me from admin, and this seems to indicate that error 128 is that there is no communication between the control box and the p.c.

There was a screenshot example, showing the error code but showed it loading the various parts of the go fiel then the error; When I run fanucsmd and get the same error, it shows nothing at all; Only the error message ???

Have I done it right by first of all, running it on a dos window within xp as I think this is what you were saying in the instructions or were you only referring to 98 ?
Secondly, am I using the right software for my novamill, because I thought it was fanucmd as indicated by the manual and from reading the "general milling machine manual pdf" on this forum.
If I am wrong and I should indeed be using fanucsmd, then have you any idea what is wrong ?
By the way, I also opened the control box and the 7 segment display shows an "L" with a flashing dot the the lower left corner of it.
Thinking it might be the serial cable, I unplugged it and used only the new one I got when I got the pci card to rule this out.
Could it be that I need to use it booted into dos and not from the command line box from withing windows.
Nothing smells in to control box and the fans are working, and the led would indicate power, so any ideas ?
Thanks.
P.S. One idea; Could it be that the go file should have "5" to indicate the irq ?
P.P.S. Should I remove the pci card ? Could this be causing the problem ?

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Tue 11 Aug , 2009 6:37 am

:oops: You are correct! The Novamill should use FANUCMD (the older starmill machine used FANUCSMD).

You seem to be doing everything right. Use the cable that came with the machine (not the ones with the Lindy card) and connect to the COM1 port that's on your motherboard (don't forget to re-enable it in BIOS). With this setup you should be able to get past the Error 128.

I would expect to see more than just this error on the sreen. Does the screen clear before this message appears (and so could be clearing other messages?)

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Tue 11 Aug , 2009 12:21 pm

Mr Magoo wrote::oops: You are correct! The Novamill should use FANUCMD (the older starmill machine used FANUCSMD).

You seem to be doing everything right. Use the cable that came with the machine (not the ones with the Lindy card) and connect to the COM1 port that's on your motherboard (don't forget to re-enable it in BIOS). With this setup you should be able to get past the Error 128.

I would expect to see more than just this error on the sreen. Does the screen clear before this message appears (and so could be clearing other messages?)
If the software should be fanucmd, then is the rest of the instructions you gave me (i.e. download "drivers" and the instructions to alter the go file), correct for fanucmd ?
There is also "drivers 2" in the downloads section.

Also, is it o.k. to start it in windows through the command line window ? I wasn't sure if that is what you were saying.


Thanks

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Wed 12 Aug , 2009 1:44 am

Mr Magoo wrote::oops: You are correct! The Novamill should use FANUCMD (the older starmill machine used FANUCSMD).

You seem to be doing everything right. Use the cable that came with the machine (not the ones with the Lindy card) and connect to the COM1 port that's on your motherboard (don't forget to re-enable it in BIOS). With this setup you should be able to get past the Error 128.

I would expect to see more than just this error on the sreen. Does the screen clear before this message appears (and so could be clearing other messages?)
I tried again tonight, after slightly changing what you instructed mt to do with the go code.
I installed the fanucmd software into the c: novamill folder, and altered the fanucmd.go file as follows :-

IBM.RS2 1
$3F8 4 MACHINE
QDENFORD.KBD
18.2 0
FANUCMD.APP

I noted the setting in the bios for you, which is as follows :-

3F8h / com 1

I booted up into windows xp (sp2) and opened the dos command line window, then navigated to the novamill directory, and typed:-

fanucmd.exe

with the control box switched on, and I got this text in the dos window :-

DENFORD FANUC MILLING CNC PROGRAMMING (V1.94) 22 MAY 1996
IBM RS232 DRIVER (RS232) 25 MARCH 1992
MACHINE INSTALLED
IBM FANUC KEYBOARD DRIVER (KBD) 16 JULY 1993
KEYBOARD DRIVER REMOVED
RS232 DRIVER REMOVED

ERROR <128> SOFTWARE ABORTED

I also noted that the led on the control box shows a letter "L" with a flashing dot to the lower left of it, but this is like the as soon as it is turned on, regardless of whether software is being run.

Any ideas please ?

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 12 Aug , 2009 1:59 am

Check the Go file. The QDENFORD line should read...

QDENFORD.KBD 1

Everything else you're doing is good... The 'L' and flashing dot on the LED is normal when first turned on, and should change once the software has 'found' the machine.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed 21 May , 2008 13:39 pm

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by audio.fi » Wed 12 Aug , 2009 3:33 am

Mr Magoo wrote:Check the Go file. The QDENFORD line should read...

QDENFORD.KBD 1

Everything else you're doing is good... The 'L' and flashing dot on the LED is normal when first turned on, and should change once the software has 'found' the machine.
I edited the file as above but it then didn't work at all, i.e. when I ran it, the whole screen went black with a white flashing horizontal bar about three quarters of the way down the screen, and then a few seconds later, moving up to about one third the way down. I had to press teh "windows" key to get back into windows and then end task.

I wondered if my problem was trying to start if from the dos prompt from within windows, so I put the contents of the novamill software onto a floppy then booted up with a floppy of dos 6.22.
Then replaced the floppy with the novamill one, and ran fanucmd.exe; This then showed the programme (i.e. as shown in the manual), but I don't know what to do next ?
There is no instructions for the keyboard in the manual, and none of the keys seem to move the milling machine, but the keyboard does respond to for instance, F10, which brings up the menu, and the arrow keys does move the menu selection highlighting up and down. I presume this means that the keyboard driver loaded (or does this just mean it is using the one previously loaded with the dos 6.22 floppy), but how do I prove the p.c. / machine is comunicating with the control box ?
I read on another post somewhere that if the keyboard is active, there is a blue bar at the bottom of the display window when the programme is running. If this is the case then it is not. The bottom row shows the menu etc, and is coloured magenta.
Also, the led still shows L with flashing dot.

Also, when I exited the programme this time, it said something like thank you for using the software, and said it unloaded the keyboard and vga driver but did not say anything about the rs232 driver. Is that important ?
Also, when I started the software, I could not see anything saying the drivers were loading (like it did in windows's dos command line), it came straight onto the software after a short pause.

I hope this can help you help me with this.

Thanks.

User avatar
Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 21:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2 denfords, one p.c. can anyone help ?

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 12 Aug , 2009 5:24 am

It sounds like you are running the "non-controlling" version of the software. There were 2 x version of this software with the same name (bad idea!) & I think you're running the wrong one.
I've just been searching round the Denford website and can't find any mention of the old DOS software for the Novamill :?:
From what I remember it was the same software as the "FANUCMD for Triac" that can be found here http://www.denford.ltd.uk/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=51

Also check the .Go file.

IBM.RS2 1
$3F8 4 MACHINE
QDENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 0
VGA.CRT 0
FANUCSMD.APP

Your latest post didn't include the VGA.CRT 0 line. If you've still got the black screen problem try changing to
EGA2.CRT 0
or
EGA.CRT 0

You must feel like you are going round in circles - it's almost 10 years since I worked with these & my memorys getting rusty :!:

Post Reply