DOS Fanucsmd (v2.77) connection problem to MicroMill

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

worthtech

DOS Fanucsmd (v2.77) connection problem to MicroMill

Post by worthtech » Mon 09 Feb , 2009 14:52 pm

We are currently trying to set up two older 98' laptops to work with some Micromill CNC's. The desktop PC's that were working very nicely with these two mills, were sent to the recyclers last summer. So I am not able to access those PC's for comparisom. We are using the DOS Fanuc Milling CNC programming (v2.77). The laptop serial port is set to COM1. I have the Fanucmd.go file setup as follows.

IBM.RS2 2
$3F8 4 COM1
$3F8 4 MACHINE
QDENFORD.KYB 1
18.2 0
VGA.CRT 0
FANUCSMD.APP

When I run the Fanucsmd.exe program it acts like it wants to connect to the CNC Mill. But, it hangs at "Initialising MINT3.28.". From reading the forum pages I have come to believe that this is a common error. The only difference between the setups from last school year, :?: is the laptop's instead of the 10 year old desktop's.

Thank You for taking the time to read this post. If you could provide any help it would be greatly appreciated.
Leon Lawcock
System Administrator
Worthington City Schools
MicroMill's with DOS based Fanucsmd (v2.77)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 09 Feb , 2009 17:07 pm

The 1st thing I'd do is proove the laptop COM ports are enabled and working. eg you could knock up a crossover cable and run Hyperterminal on each laptop and see if you can send and receive data between the 2 laptops.
have a look at RS232 null modem cables here:
http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Fri 13 Feb , 2009 10:51 am

Change your Go file to read...

IBM.RS2 1
$3F8 4 MACHINE
QDENFORD.KBD 1
18.2 0
VGA.CRT 0
FANUCSMD.APP

And do note that the DOS based software will NOT work with USB to RS232 adapters. You MUST have a 'real' RS232 port on the laptop.

HTH
James

worthtech

Post by worthtech » Mon 23 Feb , 2009 15:28 pm

Verified RS232 ports of both laptops were good by using the laptops to connect to some HP Switches. Both communicated without any problems. Will try changing FANUCMD.GO file as suggested and see if it works as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.
Leon Lawcock
System Administrator
Worthington City Schools
MicroMill's with DOS based Fanucsmd (v2.77)