ArtCam Issue - Server Issue

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Thu 29 Nov , 2007 15:59 pm

I'm experiencing a problem with my flexlm server. Basically after being online for a week or more the clients will suddenly start reporting a license error out of no where. The server logs indicate the flexlm service is no longer seeing the dongle, though the computer still sees it. I'm attaching what I believe are the relevant log files.

Rebooting the server fixes the problem, but I'm looking for a solution to avoid it in the first place.

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Thu 29 Nov , 2007 16:03 pm

At this time, we do not believe that the issues that you are having is defective ArtCAM software/dongle, but rather issues with your server. Has anything changed/ been added onto your server recently? We have had customers who have been using the software successfully for quite some time, then something has changed on their server they are not aware of – new anti-virus software or a reconfiguration of existing anti-virus software, server system clock upset/off, etc.

To be sure we are on the correct path, I have received some feedback from Delcam UK office regarding this issue. From our Delcam Flex expert in the UK, he feels this issue may come down to be Virus or Spyware software potentially causing the server to lose contact with the dongle.

“There is some process kicking off on the server that is conflicting with flex. What that maybe I have no idea, but virus or spyware would be a good place to start looking, also any system log files or alerts might point to something happening on the server. We are aware of an old problem where by McAfee tried to register a *.dll file that was already in use by flex. Flex thought it was being hacked and so shuts down and restarts. This also happened with Panda anti-virus. Also check if the system clock is keeping the right time.”

Please let us know how you get on with checking your server. We need to rule out the server issues before we can rule out defective dongle/software. As an absolute last resort we can look at a dongle swap. It could be a faulty dongle in which case a new flex kit would also need to be installed but again this would be the absolute last resort.