VRTurning V1.29 Prob with the auto tool changer on NovaTurn

Help and advice for Denfords lathe control software VR Turning.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

VRTurning V1.29 Prob with the auto tool changer on NovaTurn

Post by JSKRABA » Sun 30 Dec , 2012 21:48 pm

DENFORD SUPPORT and others using tool chager with V1.29

I have been trying hard to get my NovaTurn setup for turning and threading. I have a copy of QuickTurn Design 2D and we have established that this works but not the G32 code for threading with my SmartStep V2.1 rom card.
I am using VRTurning V1.29. and have a 8 station toolpost fitted.

With V1.27 the tool change only operated with machine is running the code and it changes at machine position 0,0 and configured in machine paramitors, as it is suposed to.

In V1.29 with the machine connected and the 3D sym running if the code has any tool changes the machine actually rotates the turret !! Only in 3D not in 2D.
AND it does not move back to Machine 0,0
The configured change position is ignored in all cases.
I found this out while cutting and could not hit the RED button before a tool crashed into the chuck, not a good way to discover this, had to reset the toolchanger and lost a tool.
I then tested all of this on V1.27 with no problems and again with V1.29 with these problems.
So
The Tool change position is ignoored and it actually moves when you run a 3D sym.

What can I do and can you please fix this as its dangerous!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: VRTurning V1.29 Prob with the auto tool changer on NovaT

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Jan , 2013 10:36 am

It sounds like some changes to the toolchange operation on the newer machines have effected the way older machines work.
Obviously testing VR Turning updates on a Smartstep based machine is not possible or practical for us...
I'd stick with 1.27 for now and we will see if we can fix the software (ie find out why the new updates may have effected older machines)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Jan , 2013 14:42 pm

Ok, I have a machine connected in VR Turning with the 3D window open.
If I run a program with the machine in JOG mode then only the simulation works - no toolchange (or any other) command is given to the machine.
If I run a program in AUTO then both the machine and simulation run. The machine goes to 0,0 home position before spinning the turret.

I can only test this on a new machine but all appears to be working OK.
Please supply the CNC program which you are using.
Can you also detail exactly what machine is selected and which windows are open in the VR Turning software when the turret spins without moving to home first...normally there is a G28U0W0 before a toolchange in a CNC program, but the software will send the machine to home position with M06 regardless of machine or control type selected.
Thanks.

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Fri 04 Jan , 2013 1:00 am

Hi
Machine is using the std Novaturn.mnt file. Novaturn Macine selected.
The code I used when I first noticed this problem (First time with v1.29 using a tool change in program) was produced on Quickturn 2D design and has the G28U0W0 at the start to set the first tool but nothing at the tool change to finishing tool. (using Tool 1 to rough and 7 to finish)
This ignoring of 0,0 to change tools happens with No windows open and 2D, or 3D or both windows open. On Jog and Home.

The code I use now to test is set to just G0 to X,Y. Change to tool 1. Move to X1 Y1. Change to tool 7 End
If its of help I used the Novaturn.mnt in V1.27 (I think its the same one as in V1.29) and I tried NovaturnNS although this had other effects (Starting the spindle at download) the same problem with 3D sym starting the turret moving and 0,0 at tool change ignored.

All this does not happen with V1.27 which I could use but there were reasons (see my other threads - on thread turning) that I was advised to use V1.29 to solve these other issues.

Using Spartstep board with V2.1Rom, running on Vista machine, Comms set to 19200, 8,2. Machine control set to 0

Hope this helps, anything else I can try?
JCS

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Thu 10 Jan , 2013 23:16 pm

Hi. Any more ideas on this.
I am using V1.27 for simple jobs but the reason for moving to V1.29 is that you fixed the threading cycle (G92) that was a problem in V1.27
If I use V1.29 to get threading I have to modify the GCode from QT2D and add G28U0W0 before every tool change. (Could this be automated in some way as it is there for the initial tool selection?)

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 11 Jan , 2013 10:29 am

We are struggling to reproduce the problem here as we don't have any old rs232 setups to test it on :?

Although we've added some post output options in v1.15 being able to add text to the toolchange output is not one of them :(
I'll see if we can add an option to add G28U0W0 to the output before every toolchange

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 11 Jan , 2013 12:18 pm

There is a beta version of 1.18 .exe here:
http://denfordata.com/downloads/QuickTU ... 8-BETA.zip

This will allow G28U0W0 to be put in front of every toolchange (this is now the default but can be turned off or altered under Options > Post Options)

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 15 Jan , 2013 10:52 am

Did the fix in QuickTurn help with the issue ?
We're about to release QuickTurn v1.18 and it would be nice to know it helped for your problem.

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Thu 17 Jan , 2013 21:23 pm

Hi
The fix does solve the problem of having to edit each tool change so should help alot in that area
I am very careful when I run a 3d Sym in VrTrurning 1.29 that the machine is not connected OR the tool post is homed

Still puzzled why this happens!

Thanks for adding this fix.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 18 Jan , 2013 10:26 am

It could also be worth uninstalling and re-installing v1.31
We found a recent issue which may mess up which mint file is used when connecting to older machine's:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3901