increasing maximum z movement.

Help and advice for Denfords lathe control software VR Turning.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

KBrown

increasing maximum z movement.

Post by KBrown » Tue 11 Sep , 2012 19:31 pm

hi guys/gals.

i recently got my hands on an old Mirac PC lathe with an ATC.

i wish to create a part that is 200mm long.
however the max distance the z axis will travel is -135mm from the standard home position, which did come to about 1" right of the chuck jaws
i understand that this is probably because the lathe is designed for schools and massive safeguards need to be inplace, but i have it in my garage and want to use it for making hobby parts..

ive played about with the z home limit switch (ie took it off), and as expected the z axis moves right until i bring the limit switch close to steel, which then stops the head, and defines the z=0 position.
however, when i go to jog the head, the head still only moves 135mm left, meaning that the head stops about 4" clear of the chuck.
(before it stopped 1")

with the head fairly left i then set it to go to home and immediatly brought the limit switch to the bed causing it to stop (home is now only 4 or so inches right from the chuck.
if i enter jog mode now, the head moves left past the face of the chuck (meaning that there is no left limit switch stoping the head.

im using VRmilling
i went into c:\denford\config/fanuci.ini

looking down that i saw that there was a line:
" max material length = 125mm"
i changed this to 250mm on all type of parameter [fanuc/mirac/micro, etc,,] , but this didnt seem to work.

can anyone please tell me what i need to do to increase the maximum -ve travel from the home postion, as it is obviously a software limitation.

thanks in advance
Keith

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: increasing maximum z movement.

Post by Martin » Wed 12 Sep , 2012 7:11 am

You need to open VRTurning & then select Setup, then Machine Parameters (password is denny), then Machine Capability change the Travel Z- to the relevant value.

KBrown

Re: increasing maximum z movement.

Post by KBrown » Wed 12 Sep , 2012 9:20 am

legend.
thanks.