Error code on program that has run many times before

Help and advice for Denfords lathe control software VR Turning.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

tecteach

Error code on program that has run many times before

Post by tecteach » Mon 08 Nov , 2010 11:01 am

I have been batch manufacturing the same component with no problems. However, today I have received the following error message from VR Turning :

Machine Error Block 272 - Move exceed limits

From x 0.00 z 0.00
to x 10.692 z -43.131

limits are set to

x 0.00 x -150.00
z 0.00 x -225.00

I have run the 3d simulation with no problems and am using the same offset as before. I have rebooted the pc and switched off the machine.
Why did I choose this profession, cos it aint for the money !

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Error code on program that has run many times before

Post by bradders » Tue 09 Nov , 2010 11:40 am

"Move exceeds limits" that one or all of the machines axes are trying to move to a program position that cannot be physically reached. I would just check your offset settings have not moved / altered for any reason

tecteach

Post by tecteach » Tue 09 Nov , 2010 16:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, as it happens tool 3 was the problem and I re-did the tool offset. I have no idea why the offset changed.

Also today on the same project we had the following occur which has me baffled :

A pupil set up their own offset under their own name under direct supervision, when the machine ran it tool one came in way off so we stopped it. After this we made the demo offset current and went to machine further parts only to have the centre drill smash into the workpiece snapping the end off. This was the same offset we used previously that morning to manufacture a batch of the same parts.

Can you advise why this occured ?
Why did I choose this profession, cos it aint for the money !

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Tue 09 Nov , 2010 16:54 pm

Hi tecteach,

I'm not sure what the problem could have been.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 09 Nov , 2010 17:59 pm

Try update to the latest vrturning - there has been a recent addition to warn you if the offset file hasn't been saved (eg if the network is unavailable or read-only due to user rights)

Random behaviour like this has been seen on school networks in the past and I suspect that you can work the machine fine with the offsets you've just changed, until the next time you run VR Turning when the original offset file is loaded, ie, not taking into account the changes you made previously

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 11 Nov , 2010 9:30 am

When setting up workpiece offsets and tooling you have to ensure that you set the Workpiece offset for tool 1 and you set tool offsets in relation to tool 1.

If using a different length billet you must change the Work Offset for tool 1 (and not add a tool offset to tool 1) If you set an offset value for tool 1 then all the other tool values will be incorrect which could cause collision.

I would check that the Tool offset values for tool 1 are set to 0. Then reset the workpiece offset again.

A quick check to see all is correctly set is to jog tool 1 close to the front of a billet at the centre line and the Program position should read close to X0 and Z0. Then index to tool 2 and jog that until the tip is close to the front centre of the billet. The program position should also read close to X0 and Z 0. You can repeat this process for all the tools to confirm they are set correctly.

The attached link explains the process.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73