Out of Warranty UP! mini - main board fault-finding / repair

Help with the hardware and software of the PP3DP UP! 3D Printer

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

nolly53
Hardware/Software: VLS 3.5 Laser

Out of Warranty UP! mini - main board fault-finding / repair

Post by nolly53 » Mon 14 Sep , 2015 23:05 pm

I am a retired teacher of Technology & Design in Northern Ireland. My old department has a Denford laser cutter and an UP! mini. I called into the old school and found that their out-of-warranty UP! mini is not working. Essentially the x axis is not moving. If the stepper motor from the x axis is connected to another axis instead, it moves, which narrows the fault down I guess to the electronics on the x axis section of the main board rather than the stepper motor.

The department has had its budget cut and can't afford a new 3D printer. I would like to look at the circuit board to see if I can spot the problem, which I know is unlikely. Are there any troubleshooting aids at circuit board level? Alternatively does anyone know of anyone who repairs these boards or a source of second-hand or refurbished boards? I am aware that the UP! is available world-wide and there are bound to be others who have had a similar experience, especially since so many machines will now be out of warranty.

I know that it is unlikely, but it is frustrating for the pupils who had anticipated being able to use the printer for their project work.

Any suggestions?

nolly53

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Out of Warranty UP! mini - main board fault-finding / re

Post by bradders » Tue 15 Sep , 2015 13:23 pm

Unfortunately we have no circuit diagrams for problem solving. We don't know of anyone who repairs these boards, but may be you have an electronics engineer / teacher in the Technology & Design areas who could take a look at it, as you seem to have proved, its the drive and not the stepper motor that seems faulty.