Denford Quatro CNC Mill

What little info there is on the QuatroMill

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

blakey235
Hardware/Software: I have Harrison M250 with Anilam control +Bridgeport interact 1 with Heidenhain 407
just bought Denford Quatro with North East Electronics Control, and I use Edgecam for Programming

Denford Quatro CNC Mill

Post by blakey235 » Fri 08 Oct , 2010 10:59 am

Hi Everone,

Just bought Denford Quatro, does anyone out there have, any drawings for machine electrics, operating manuals etc, or can pass any personal knowledge of using machine,
Regards Blakey

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Denford Quatro CNC Mill

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 08 Oct , 2010 12:20 pm

As your the first person I know of who has one, then I'm not sure who can help.
I have some documents and will upload them into the Easimill section (seeing as it looks similar to that machine)

blakey235
Hardware/Software: I have Harrison M250 with Anilam control +Bridgeport interact 1 with Heidenhain 407
just bought Denford Quatro with North East Electronics Control, and I use Edgecam for Programming

Post by blakey235 » Mon 02 Jan , 2012 13:15 pm

Soon to buy my second quatro, do you know of anyone who has postprocessor for Edgecam to PNC

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 03 Jan , 2012 13:17 pm

Again it's not something I'm familiar with but I think the PNC was pretty basic so a simple G-Code, Fanuc 6M, ISO post would work OK with perhaps a little adjustment.

blakey235

Post by blakey235 » Thu 05 Jan , 2012 15:42 pm

Thanks for EdgeCam PNC3 postprocessor RAR file have opened file ok, but appears to be in machine code, does it have to be opened in EdgeCAM?

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Thu 05 Jan , 2012 17:09 pm

Hi Blakey, i would be interested in having a nose at this machine. I'm fairly local to you and could pop up to suit you.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 05 Jan , 2012 17:49 pm

I've created a Quatro section and moved this post there.
Also found that there was also a manual hiding in the Easimill section if you hadn't already seen it ?

blakey235

Post by blakey235 » Fri 06 Jan , 2012 13:12 pm

Yes your welcome to have a look, I am printing second manual out now, already printed one before but lost zipfile, will be there Tuesday with my friend trying to establish communication to and form PNC, was hoping to get Edgecam milling post for PNC, but looks like I will end up doing my own, have done one for Anilam & Heidenhain, really just need a short programme to test upload to PNC, with control characters. mobile is 07887948902 machine is at Gellihirion Ind estate, top end of Treforest

bikermickyc
Hardware/Software: Denford Quatromill any help in setting up etc appreciated as we have just got one from auction- has a heidenhain controller- and seems good nick no backlash in screws etc- have any members any experience of this well built machine- thanks mike

Post by bikermickyc » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 19:14 pm

Hi Blakey and Denford tech just got a quatro too- seems good nick handwheels turn nice and smoothly not fired it up yet as not guaranteed to run at all! so praying no major holdups- - how did you set it up got the manuals off site and ready to go getting 3 phase box fitted next week- from main power in as ours is full at moment we want to cnc motorcycle accessories if possible so seems a good mid sized machine- came out of a RN training college no tooling etc do you have any info on suitable stuff-Mike

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 19:23 pm

great to see another member of the quatro club, both of mine have been converted to single phase and Mach3 controller so i'm no help on the Fanuc side.

bikermickyc
Hardware/Software: Denford Quatromill any help in setting up etc appreciated as we have just got one from auction- has a heidenhain controller- and seems good nick no backlash in screws etc- have any members any experience of this well built machine- thanks mike

Post by bikermickyc » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 19:30 pm

Heres a pic- Mike
Attachments
Quatro board .jpg
heres inside controller cab at rear
Quatro board .jpg (490.55 KiB) Viewed 20229 times
quatro heidenhain .jpeg
Heres controller-
quatro heidenhain .jpeg (26.05 KiB) Viewed 20229 times

bikermickyc

Post by bikermickyc » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 19:35 pm

heres main machine- Mike
Attachments
quatromill full pic.jpg
heres pic of mill-
quatromill full pic.jpg (82.35 KiB) Viewed 20229 times

bikermickyc

Post by bikermickyc » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 19:37 pm

Hi whats involved in doing that - this has a heidenhain- seen ghecko drives boards and nema 32 what would you do? also single phase did you get inverter ? thanks Mike

bikermickyc

Post by bikermickyc » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 19:40 pm

Hi Blakey we want to make motorcycle billet parts as buy a lot in USA and most suppliers we contact want huge batches making- and expensive did apprenticeship on manual bridgeports colchesters etc so CNC a new vball game- seen bobcad artcam edgecam all sorts got an apple mac and a pc- what do you reckon? thanks for any help-Mike

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 20:47 pm

bikermickyc wrote:Hi whats involved in doing that - this has a heidenhain- seen ghecko drives boards and nema 32 what would you do? also single phase did you get inverter ? thanks Mike
my machines have stepper motors on each axis so interfacing mach3 was relatively easy, does your machine have servos or steppers?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 8:51 am

It looks like it's got Norwin DC servo drives.
The Heidenhain (TNC 155 or TNC355?) was definately a closed-loop position control, so there should be motor+tacho back to the drives and position encoder feedback to the control.
IMO any upgrade to Mach or similar would be pointless / a step backwards
I'd have a look at the control manuals:
viewtopic.php?p=3945
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2256
and have a play around with Dialogue programming and see how the machine performs.
There's a lot you can do on the control itself, with a little bit of programming. The heidenhain dialogue format was pretty easy to use once you got the hang of the keyboard input
Once you have the machine working and need to make more complicated stuff, most CAD/CAM programs will post output to Heidenhain Dialogue format - if not, the control will accept ISO G-code as well.

bikermickyc

Post by bikermickyc » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 21:50 pm

Thanks for info will check all the manuals i downloaded from your site - they are a great help- I hope- i know a lot of top end nmachines use these controllers so seems a pity to rip it out and fit another- if it works- still not got 3 phase sorted from our main box so may be next week b4 i can power it up- Mike

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 21:59 pm

it would be a shame to remove a good controller, especially as you've got 3 phase. Does your machine have a leadscrew for the main z axis or ballscrew.?

bikermickyc

Post by bikermickyc » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 22:17 pm

Hi is the leadscrew a square thread like a lathe and a ball screw more rounded if so it is a square thread? sorry to be so thick about terminology- Mike

bikermickyc

Post by bikermickyc » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 22:27 pm

Hi Sorry Z axis will have to check i meant x and y- it also is a lead screw type- is that good or bad? Mike :delirious: :delirious: