FS: StarMill parts

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

DeckelHead

FS: StarMill parts

Post by DeckelHead » Sun 10 Mar , 2024 23:18 pm

I bought a nice little StarMill for my brother, but it was missing the custom board. So, my expectation right off the bat was that I was going to need to retrofit it. My plan is to replace the steppers with closed loop steppers. This will require changing the orientation of the Z axis stepper so that it does not hit the spindle drive. Likewise, I plan on changing the orientation of the Y-axis stepper too, so that it too clears the spindle drive. The original topology of the casting was clearly designed around stubby steppers! I'm going back and forth on the control system. I will either use a DDCS Expert Chinese control system or use a Mesa board paired with LinuxCNC. My inclination is to use the DDCS simply because I need to get this whole thing finished fairly quickly and with the DDCS I do not have to mess with many/any switches. The existing eStop and a pendant should do the trick.

Because I am gutting the control, I have numerous parts available that I'm hoping to sell and partially fund the conversion. I'm trying to keep the prices reasonable so that everyone is happy, while still generating a little revenue. I am located in Sunnyvale California, USA, so shipping would be from there. Here is what I've got:

(3) Parker SD2 1321.009 stepper drivers: $75 for one, $200 for all three
(1) RS 232-098 4 phase unipolar stepper drive (for the tool changer): $50
(1) Optimised Control Lt. 0281 Issue 3 CPU board: $125 (see note below)
(1) backplane: $25

Note: the CPU board has some trace damage due to a leaking battery (I think). It isn't horrible, but there will need to be some repair work on some of the traces.

If you want everything, I'll sell it for $300.

Feel free to make an offer on something if you are interested. The prices do not include shipping. I will ship overseas, but I suspect that shipping could be prohibitive. You need to do the legwork on figuring out the price of shipping. If it is acceptable to you, send me a message and I'll sell the item to you contingent upon the shipping price being accurate.

I currently think that I'll be using the spindle drive, relays, transformers, and other components that were in the cabinet. I will not actually be using the cabinet! That thing is ridiculously large!

If there is interest, I'll post pictures of the conversion as things progress.