Desktop Tutor Keypad

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dhop125
Hardware/Software: Mirac PC with VR turning
Boxford Duo with Mach 3

Desktop Tutor Keypad

Post by dhop125 » Fri 12 Jun , 2020 20:36 pm

Does anyone have the time to give a step by step guide on how to connect up a desktop tutor keypad?
I have read all that I can find on it but no success.

I have two rs232 com ports on my pc, im using a 25pin to 9 pin cable (again I have 2 of those so I dont think its the cable). Both cables work to connect the pc to the electrica box, so i presume they are the right type to connect the tutor as well?
I have tried the newer keypad and the older one I have 7 in total and cant get any to work.
Im using VR turning 5, but in the about section is says version 1.59. trying to control a mirac pc if that makes any difference.
I have set the com port for the tutor keyboard, and tried various .keys files.

Hopefully someone will be able to write all the steps together to go through - I think it would be a usefull resource for the forum.
Thanks!

dhop125
Hardware/Software: Mirac PC with VR turning
Boxford Duo with Mach 3

Re: Desktop Tutor Keypad

Post by dhop125 » Tue 16 Jun , 2020 16:29 pm

*bump*
alternatively..... anyone want to buy a tutor keypad?
www.clydepencompany.com

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Desktop Tutor Keypad

Post by TDIPower » Tue 16 Jun , 2020 20:20 pm

ive never seen a DT used with VR tunrning only on DOS stuff. VR5 is the milling program not the turning program

I just loaded up vr turning, (I must dload the latest version im still on 1.49).
I set it to make a mirac active, you don't say if it is just a mirac or mirac NS
went down to
Communications, that gives you the location to set up coms with the machine.
then down to
Input/output looks to give you the option to set the com port for what i presume would be the DT as it is looking for the DT info file at a given location and under that it says Com Port so you would change that to match your DT

Now you would need to ensure you have got your PC config correct for the com ports and the devices plugged into the respective com ports. That will come down to what ever vintage PC and version of windows you are running, you might need to set the com port IRQs etc in the BIOS, you might be able to config them via device manager, ports, right click properties, port settings for each port.

You might have all that correct and find the cable you have isnt correct for the DT. This is the pin out that does work on my DT

Hope that helps
Denford pin out Tutor keyboard .JPG
Denford pin out Tutor keyboard .JPG (24.9 KiB) Viewed 2972 times