Desk-top Tutor Keyboard

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

madebymccoy
Hardware/Software: Novamill
- in process of upgrading controller to Mesa I/O and LinuxCNC
- retrofitting head with power drawbar
- and next year, raise column by 70mm

Microrouter V3

Micromill 2000

Desk-top Tutor Keyboard

Post by madebymccoy » Sat 01 Apr , 2017 20:37 pm

Hi

I'm wanting to use one of the (physical) milling tutor keyboards with LinuxCNC...

First question, what is the pinout of the serial port/DB25? Does it emulate a keyboard etc or some other type of serial device etc? From what I understand the pinout is straight, and then a regular DB25-DB9 adaptor can be used.

Second, depending on the first, how does it interface/communicate?

Third, are there any wiring diagrams or circuit diagrams?

Worst case I'll just hack the PCB and use a keypad matrix IO board, but best case all the electronics are there and it's just writing some code for the Linux machine to read the inputs via serial...

Thanks!

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Desk-top Tutor Keyboard

Post by TDIPower » Sat 01 Apr , 2017 23:07 pm

From my experience with the tutor board, it is just RS232 TX/RX/GND. On a PC running XP and controlling my Starturn 5 through a DOS window (NOT DOSBOX) the PC will shut down the monitor/HDD even when I'm using it as it is not seen as a HID (Human Interface Device).

The tutor keyboard is a horrible thing to use, at some point in time I think I will replace the keypad with a set of proper keys.
If you remember the quality or the ZX81 keyboard and the joys of using one of those that is what you will face

Pete

madebymccoy
Hardware/Software: Novamill
- in process of upgrading controller to Mesa I/O and LinuxCNC
- retrofitting head with power drawbar
- and next year, raise column by 70mm

Microrouter V3

Micromill 2000

Re: Desk-top Tutor Keyboard

Post by madebymccoy » Sun 02 Apr , 2017 19:02 pm

Haha, thanks Pete - a thumbs up for the keyboard then ;)

I'll hook it up to an Arduino to start with then, and just read the output data... Nicely, there's a very lazy USB HID library for Arduino (Keyboard), so worst case I can use it to read the data from the serial port and spit it out as a key command over USB. Best case, it's a nicely formatted data stream already!