PLEASE HELP - Missing RS232 Cable

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jaycambridge
Hardware/Software: CNC Micro router
VR Milling V5
Win 7

PLEASE HELP - Missing RS232 Cable

Post by jaycambridge » Thu 20 Oct , 2016 18:50 pm

Hi all,

I have just purchased a microrouter and it was not supplied with the original RS232 cable, after a bit of digging i have found out i can not use one bought off the shelf!

Does anyone have one that will work with it that i can buy or can someone please make me one, paid for of course.

I'm not adverse to having ago at making one myself but its something ive never done before.

ALSO, i know this is a big ask but if there is anyone in or near Cambridge that would be happy to come and help me make sure i'm all set up and working right, i'd be super happy and willing to cover a good few beers!!!

Any help greatly received.

Cheers

Jay

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: PLEASE HELP - Missing RS232 Cable

Post by TDIPower » Thu 20 Oct , 2016 20:55 pm

do you have a pc that has an RS232 port or will you need to use a USB to RS232 converter? (if the latter it can cause a few hic-ups, so can be worth popping the lid off the PC and checking to see if there is a connector on the motherboard that you can get a 'header' to the back panel with the RS232 connector).

They are quite straight forward to make if you have a soldering iron. Connectors can be bought from places like CPC.co.uk, Maplin, or even eBay.

There is info on here about how to make them up, you just need to dig about a bit.

I'm Sheffield area so a bit far but happy to help with questions as I have one in work and have been using Denford stuff for 15yrs

Pete

jaycambridge
VR Milling V5
Win 7

Post by jaycambridge » Thu 20 Oct , 2016 22:53 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the help.

I have a 9 pin port that takes the cable. There is also a 25pin port out of the PC as well but i don't think i need to use that. I actually bough all three versions of an off the shelf RS232 cable, 9 pin to 25pin, 25pin to 25pin and the USB to 25pin, not realizing they have a different set up to the Denford one.

I'm guessing i'll end up attempting to "customise" one, do i just make it out of the one i bought off the shelf?

Cheers

Jay

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 21 Oct , 2016 20:57 pm

it is only 3 wires that link between the pc and the machine, and a couple of pins linked to each other in the connector.

The other thing is making sure you have the computer set up correctly (Rs232 port turned on in BIOS and assigned to COM1)
Selecting the correct machine in the software as well.

Pete

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 22 Oct , 2016 12:34 pm

If you know the pinouts and have a basic multimeter it's small effort to build a lead or chop a standard one up and swap/solder a few wires.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 27 Oct , 2016 21:21 pm

Just a thought on the 25pin connector on the PC, I doubt that that is an RS232 port unless it is a PC that is about 20yrs+ old! that would be the parallel (printer port) and the pins are the opposite sex to RS232 to stop folks getting them mixed up (don't use that to connect to the machine!)

I take it you are on half term this week, I was in today and will be in the morning too, If I get chance Ill buzz out the lead on our machine. At least then I can post up the pin out and you could make one.

You may already have a lead that is wired correctly but just not set up the PC/software correctly. RS232/interpretation is such a pain the back end. I spent to much of my life trying to get things to communicate in the late 80's early 90's due to manufacturers following different wiring ideas or software interpreting information in unexpected ways.

Pete

jaycambridge
VR Milling V5
Win 7

Post by jaycambridge » Fri 28 Oct , 2016 11:14 am

cheers pete,

I am on half term and have been away so haven't been able to do much. Today i'm getting in touch with RS Components to see if they can supply me with what i need as i have been told that i can buy a connector that i can just swap the wire around to what i need rather than having to solder them. If all else fails i'm going to attempt to make one tomorrow with a pal of mine.

fingers crossed.

Jamie