Possible NextMove ES failure?

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Blushfield
Hardware/Software: 1997 Triac PC with ATC.

Baldor NextMove ES USB card.

VR Milling V5.

SolidWorks 2016.

HSMWorks.

Possible NextMove ES failure?

Post by Blushfield » Thu 14 Jul , 2016 12:38 pm

Hey all - been a long time lurker of the forums, all great info - wouldn't have signed up if I couldn't find my answer or feel that I could add to discussions etc...

We have a 1997 Triac PC with ATC in our workshop, recently stripped and rebuilt. Was running ok post re-build (but always struggled to make a connection with the PC) until the spindle blew a fuse (F1 - Now replaced, all others check out OK)and now it won't connect. Running V5 milling.

The system has been upgraded at some point with a NextMove ES motion controller (prior to our ownership).

Problem as follows.

1) Turn on, Baldor card (green) segment display flashes then a permanent '-' shows up.
2) Green surface mount LED on Baldor card flashes once per 2 seconds.
3) Red surface mound LED on Baldor card remains illuminated - reading the paperwork tells me this indicates the supply voltage is too low. I've checked power to the breakout board and the 3 fuses, all fine.

Potentially worth noting that about 10 seconds after switching on the power a relay clicks in (or out).

-Green LED on the card next to the motion controller is illuminated.

-All steppers power on and hold position.

-Baldor card recognizes when the E-stop is engaged and reads it out on the 7 segment display.

-I've tested all the relay coils, seem fine - all the same resistance. Normally closed pins have good contact. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

I read a post by Bradders that mentioned that the '-' on the segment display indicates no firmware, is it possible this flashed when the motor popped the fuse? (was full of carbon btw, obviously pulled a huge load).

Is there a definitive way to diagnose the motion card? At the moment none of our 3 computer systems will detect the powered card when connected, despite all signs indicating a 'live' card (LEDs, illuminated display etc...)

I've tried the Easy upgrader for the firmware, it just won't detect the card - either on USB or RS232.

So, my question is - has the spindle blowing the fuse wreaked unimaginable havoc on the motion controller, or - has something else gone pop? Is there another likely suspect when this happens? I'm at a loss now - everything was fine and dandy - the spindle has even popped a fuse before with no other lasting damage.

Any thoughts all?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Possible NextMove ES failure?

Post by Martin » Sat 16 Jul , 2016 11:32 am

It does sound like the USB part of the NextStep card has blown.

I think we can get these repaired free of charge if you speak to Graham at Denfords.

It would be a good idea to get the spindle repaired also but you may be best fitting a USB isolator in line to stop a repeat.

http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/usb-iso/de ... GwodspoJpA

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 18 Jul , 2016 11:42 am

If the USB card is damaged it would be a chargeable repair.

It is possible the spindle motor has flashed over to ground and then the surge will go to earth through any path available including the ground path through the USB to the computer.

If you replace the card then the chances are that if you do not repair the motor if it flashes over again the card would be damaged again.

As martin mentions a USB isolator would prevent this happening.

If the problem is that the card has lost firmware then the card could be repaired.

Blushfield
Hardware/Software: 1997 Triac PC with ATC.

Baldor NextMove ES USB card.

VR Milling V5.

SolidWorks 2016.

HSMWorks.

Post by Blushfield » Wed 20 Jul , 2016 15:51 pm

Cheers for the input guys.

As a follow up - we stripped the motor down, replaced all bearings and brushes. I skimmed and re-parted the commutator and replaced the tacho armature entirely. Motor is now as good as new on the test bench.

As far as the card goes, I replaced the USB connector as it had a dry joint but no joy there. As you suggest - I suspect the circuitry involved has cooked itself.

Either way this has resulted with me bringing forward my plans to Mach4 convert and I've now ordered the necessary controller/drivers etc to make this happen.

The removed stepper drivers and breakout board are now up for grabs - where best to sell them? (if they would)

Thanks all.

david
Hardware/Software: Hi,

I have faulty baldor D281 motion control card for a triac P. C. (denford). The firmware is ESMINT 3.28 V1.6H/S - JD5. We would like to purchase this card, is it still available? Please let me know as soon as possible, I need it urgently for students' semester projects.

Thank you.

Post by david » Thu 17 Nov , 2016 12:08 pm

Hi,

I have faulty baldor D281 motion control card for a triac P. C. (denford). The firmware is ESMINT 3.28 V1.6H/S - JD5. We would like to purchase this card, is it still available? Please let me know as soon as possible, I need it urgently for students' semester projects.

Thank you.