NextMove ST: Controlling SOUT via PWM to bottom card?

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

summetj
Hardware/Software: ScanTek 2000 ScanMill (Micromill 2000)
ScanTek 2000 ScanTurn (Microturn 2000)

NextMove ST: Controlling SOUT via PWM to bottom card?

Post by summetj » Mon 25 Jan , 2016 3:32 am

I have removed the top card of the NextMove ST board from a MicroMill 2000 (Dispatch Date 2005) and connected to the step/direction pins and home/ESTOP/SGR via a parallel port break out board successfully using Mach3 and LinuxCNC.

Lots of details here:
http://www.summet.com/blog/tag/micromill/

I would like to control the SOUT (spindle out, 0-10 volt isolated voltage output for the KB spindle control board) via a PWM signal from the breakout board, but I don't know where it connects into the optoisolator. I can't find anything on the 96way connector that looks good (demand-0 didn't work when I connected it to +5v) and was wondering if it should connect to a pin on the OTHER connector (with 2 columns instead of 3).

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: NextMove ST: Controlling SOUT via PWM to bottom card?

Post by TDIPower » Wed 27 Jan , 2016 21:36 pm

Brilliant info!! I was wondering about the noise on the spindle motor as it was suggested that some of the issues I have with the units at work where it looses position could be down to aging motors and more noise. I was wondering about adding suppression to the motor.

Pete

summetj

Post by summetj » Sun 31 Jan , 2016 3:22 am

TDIPower wrote:Brilliant info!! I was wondering about the noise on the spindle motor as it was suggested that some of the issues I have with the units at work where it looses position could be down to aging motors and more noise. I was wondering about adding suppression to the motor.

Pete
I was able to just turn on software debouncing and that fixed my noise problems. You could also try and re-route the home/limit switch wires away from the spindle motor drive wires inside the case.

summetj

Post by summetj » Sun 31 Jan , 2016 3:24 am

For anybody looking to do PWM control via the bottom board (Balfor Next Move ST SOUT signal) I figured out how to do it.

http://www.summet.com/blog/2016/01/29/h ... d-control/

There is no pin that exposes the correct input signal line, so you have to solder a wire directly to pin 3 on the optocoupler (and remove R29, a surface mount resistor), but it does allow a parallel port breakout card to drive the KB spindle motor controller via a PWM signal.