Den-Step top board no LED

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

minimad30
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Den-Step top board no LED

Post by minimad30 » Wed 23 Dec , 2015 9:32 am

Hi folks,

Hope someone can help me out with this. I am trying to get my microrouter working but i am struggling...

The machine uses the older Den-step card with the 2.1 chip. I have had limited sucsess getting the led to turn on since i bought the machine. if i leave it for a while and turn it off and on a few times i can get lucky and the led comes on and i get an 8. Only when the top board gets an 8 will my drivers supply power to the motor. before that they get 0v?

Wish that was the only issue, even when i have an 8 i cant get the router to connect to any pc. i have vr 5 and it was working on this when i bought it.

I have tried every legacy setting and com port variation but no comunication.... cant get mintman to connect to the machine no matter what i try...

I am wondering if the battery has leaked and caused some damage to the card as the pins on the two chips in front of the rs232 port are a bit corroded and there apears to be some corrosion on the rear as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Den-Step top board no LED

Post by TDIPower » Wed 23 Dec , 2015 21:34 pm

worth bypassing all the cables and making up an RS232 lead 9pin to 9 pin that plugs direct to the board. There is a thread somewhere on here with the pin out.

Have you tried cleaning up the corroded area with IPA and a tooth brush? (not beer, Isopropanol Alcohol).

Have you checked V5 will work with 2.1 Chip?

Just re read your thread, as it was working on VR5 and I presume the same RS232 lead then they're that out of the issue. Are you running a different PC now with having to change settings?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 28 Dec , 2015 23:39 pm

I would check the voltage to the logic.

It may be worth changing it over to 24volts DC as it can go in to over voltage on the 28 volts AC side.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 05 Jan , 2016 9:46 am

What model of machine is it?

Could you attach a photo of the serial number label and electronic control panel?

Once we know the machine and age we can identify the circuit and make some suggestions.

minimad30
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by minimad30 » Wed 06 Jan , 2016 19:39 pm

Apologies for the late reply.

It is a microrouter v3. It uses the older red led board. I have since removed this and wired in mach 3 board but I do have a green led board from a microrouter compact.

Would this board from the compact work on my machine? I plugged it in before and the led lit up to a dash, I think this is the board waiting for a connection to vr milling?

I would like to use this board if possible.

Thanks!

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 21 Jan , 2016 14:56 pm

Should be possible to use the other card as the rear board is the same for both control cards.

The Green top card also works on RS232 or USB.

minimad30
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by minimad30 » Thu 21 Jan , 2016 20:36 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Unfortunately there must be something wrong with the card since I updated it as it's still doing the delayed jog on my microrouter... Alcohow do I update the card from a compact to work properly with a microrouter? It won't connect to the pc if I select the correct machine?

Thanks!

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 21 Jan , 2016 20:53 pm

Why does it not connect to the machine? Does it say it's a compact 1000 ? If so it will still connect just ignore the prompt. If this is the issue I can tell you how to change the machine type programmed.

minimad30
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by minimad30 » Fri 29 Jan , 2016 13:07 pm

When i connect it and choose a microrouter as the machine, it just says cant find mint after checking the com ports?

But if i select microrouter compact it finds it no problem? This is also the problem i had with the original red led card.

Thanks again!

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 29 Jan , 2016 13:28 pm

What version of VR Milling are you using?

Have you downloaded the latest from our site?

The Mint files would be installed when the software is installed so may be worth a re install.

The Microrouter V3 mint should be on both versions

minimad30
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by minimad30 » Wed 10 Feb , 2016 14:14 pm

I have tried both the new vr5 and v2 and installed them more than once. Cant seem to get anywhere with them, also have a new novamill which wont connect.... Going to do some videos and maybe that will make things clearer?