1990 Triac Axis Drive Motors

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Wayne Ward
Hardware/Software: Triac and Orac - Mach 3

1990 Triac Axis Drive Motors

Post by Wayne Ward » Wed 06 May , 2015 19:15 pm

I've copied this from the Triac forum, just in case anyone here knows the answer...

I'm on the verge of buying a 1990 Triac with the six-tool ATC; I'm just waiting for the seller, who is hundreds of miles away, to confirm that he and the machine really exist. I'm trying hard not to get scammed.

I've got an electrical engineer to help me when it gets here, but he is wondering about the axis drives after looking at the wiring diagrams:

The problem may be the other transformer – the Axis drives. This is producing 220V 3-phase, and feeding it to the 3 Axis drive unit (page 6). Without knowing more detail of this, I can’t tell whether it actually needs all 3 phases – oddly they go into it on terminals marked A, 1 and 2. It’s very likely that it rectifies all 3 to produce a DC rail, then powers the 3 drives from this DC rail. That being the case, we’re almost certainly fine to run it from a single phase and neutral.

Can anyone help with this query? Are the motors actually 220V three phase, or is this rectified to produce a "DC rail"?

It would save some time when (if) the machine arrives if I know the answer to this.