Adding Coolant output to Novamill with V5 Milling

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

moray
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Triac VMC

Adding Coolant output to Novamill with V5 Milling

Post by moray » Sun 20 Apr , 2014 16:22 pm

I've got a Novamill that has been upgraded to V5, and I'd like to activate/add a coolant output for triggering an air blow/ misting system.

I've had a quick look through the various settings, and see I can activate the M8/9 codes in the settings.
However, is that all I need to do software wise?

How is that mapped to the hardware, and what output will it use?
Also, what signal (i.e. voltage/current) will the control board output?

moray
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Triac VMC

Re: Adding Coolant output to Novamill with V5 Milling

Post by moray » Thu 24 Apr , 2014 23:12 pm

Just to update this, I figured it out.

Activating the codes in the machine settings, simply adds the M8/9 codes to the M-code menu in VR Milling Control Panel.

Using the Debug Machine I/O, I could see the output being triggered when the coolant button was clicked, with the value 4, which after some probing with a multimeter, I discovered translates to output 2. Obviously the value being shown is the decimal value for binary outputs, with 4 representing output 2 (1 = out0, 2 = out1, 4 = out2 and so on).

After some checking, I figured the outputs are open collectors, capable of sinking 24V to gnd when activated. A bit digging around looking for a suitable light/relay to test things, I realised I had a bunch of optocouplers left over from my Cyclone retrofit. So a couple bits of wire, extra optocoupler mounted next to the existing one, and I now have an output ready for connecting to a solenoid for activating the coolant.
I just need to build the coolant system now :)