denstep motion control board not working

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac PNC3
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

denstep motion control board not working

Post by Large519 » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 0:03 am

Microrouter v3-
using
VR5.54

I have gone to run my machine tonight and the seven segment LED on the denstep control board is not lit, I have checked all the fuses but they are all ok, the LED's on the spindle drive board and relay module are all on. Can anyone shed some light on this and hopefully point me in the right direction.

I have been experiencing issues with the R232 connection the last 4 times I have used the machine, either not connecting after a long time or when it does connect every time it would not recognise the .mnt file and I would have to download the file from the PC, is there any connection between this issue and with the LED's not working?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: denstep motion control board not working

Post by Martin » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 9:58 am

It may be the voltage to the board. Check if the LED displays a "-" briefly when you turn off the power.

viewtopic.php?t=3092

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

Post by Large519 » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 16:23 pm

I don't believe it does display a "-" when it is swtiched off but I will check. I've read the link and am a little confused about swapping over the logic supply voltage... Also I'm not entirely happy with overall condition of the Denstep board maybe due to its age, please see the below pic,

Has the battery gone? I assume the 9 pin should not be touching the battery (is that the correct connector), also some of the board connections do not look good ie U34,U17 and U16.

Is there a check and repair service available from Denford, do they service and repair for the general public? Is there a possibility of exchange or upgrade to the nextstep board

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

Post by Large519 » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 23:16 pm

Martin wrote:You should be Ok just removing the 2 wires from the control transformer (bottom left) wire numbers 27 & 28 I presume & moving them to the terminals 60 & 61 (24volts). Both wires should be long enough to be moved. I often rewire this on service visits.
Success, thanks guys

Now to sort out the com's issue

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

Post by Large519 » Fri 10 Jan , 2014 0:42 am

Well, that was a short lived success. Now no LED. Have taken a closer photo of the connection's that do not look very good, (excuse the badly drawn arrow) but it now points to a burnt out blob on the surface of the board that was intact on the previous photo

Obviously something else wrong with the board!!!! Or was it a result of transferring the logic power to 24vDC :cry:

Would this have of affected the other board underneath???

Now may be a good time to convert the machine to mach3, but would need to know if the drive board underneath could be damaged too.....Some advice very much appreciated!!!!!

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 10 Jan , 2014 9:11 am

It does not look good. The board will work on either AC or DC so I guess it's down to component failure.

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

Post by Large519 » Fri 10 Jan , 2014 10:05 am

Yeah, I suspected a component failure, is it posbible due to the condition of the battery, that may have leaked onto the board, and caused further damage?

Do you know where I could get the drive board tested? Obv don't wanna have any more surprises.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 16:28 pm

I would guess that the cost of us checking the board and the cost of shipping it both ways would be too much to be cost effective it would take a few hours labour and may then be unrepairable.

When the unit fails is it shutting down the PSU? If so if you remove the top card and then try again provided the PSU supply remains OK then a good guess would be all is OK with the bottom card.

Looking at the damage to the board this is a plated through hole so there has been a short that has fused the track.

A whole new unit with the USB top card is a BI00435C and costs £900

The bottom card is a BI00435CB Cost £535

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

Post by Large519 » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 17:30 pm

Yeah, i imagined it would not be cost affective to have it replaced, so decided to go the mach3 conversion route.....

david
Hardware/Software: Hi,

I have faulty baldor D281 motion control card for a triac P. C. (denford). The firmware is ESMINT 3.28 V1.6H/S - JD5. We would like to purchase this card, is it still available? Please let me know as soon as possible, I need it urgently for students' semester projects.

Thank you.

Post by david » Thu 17 Nov , 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Steve,

I have faulty baldor D281 motion control card for a triac P. C. (denford). The firmware is ESMINT 3.28 V1.6H/S - JD5. We would like to purchase this card, is it still available? Please let me know as soon as possible, I need it urgently for students' semester projects.

Thank you.