novaturn red 7 segment controller, spindle output blown?

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

novaturn red 7 segment controller, spindle output blown?

Post by bpmsl » Sun 05 Feb , 2012 16:08 pm

hi all, the saga continues... I was merrily milling a part when there was a pop from the direction of the control box and the house rcd tripped. Afterresetting the rcd and backing out the tool from the billet (another broken cutter) i ran up my mill again and it appears the 0 - 10v output from the control board tothe spindledrive has blown as its constantly reading 0.46v what ever spindle speed is set. Ive ad the control card off the backboard and cant seee blown component, arethere any mounted on te rear of the bottom board? Any idea what may have blown? If not repairable can i map the spindle output onto another card terminall via the mnt file, or will have to resort to manually controlling the spindle via a pot wired direct to the spindle controller?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Barry m

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: novaturn red 7 segment controller, spindle output blown?

Post by Steve » Mon 06 Feb , 2012 9:53 am

The analog out of the NextMove base card is opto Isolated.

It is the only analog out from the card so there is not much you can do.

I think there is a post on the forum regarding the analog circuit but the only failure we have seen is due to the tollerane on the OP AMP creating the output.
I have never heard of one going pop.

Are you able to control the spindle drive with a pot? It could be the drive that has failed.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 06 Feb , 2012 9:56 am

Here is the link showing the spindle analog circuitry

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=325

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Mon 06 Feb , 2012 13:19 pm

OK appologies, I posted the start of the thread late at night and got a few things wrong...

For starters its a 1999 novamill, not a novaturn, I beleive I have a denstep or smartstep board you can see a pic of one on this post viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3370 so I dont know if the nextmove info is applicable.

I've disconnected the spindle drive 0-10v command lines and the denstep board is still only showing 0.46v no matter what spindle speed is demanded via the machine control jog tab. The Spindle forward and stop command still trips the safety relays appropriately and the spindle runs at a slow speed when commanded forward, you just cant change the speed.

I haven't tried to manually set the spindle drive card demand with a pot so I dont know if thats died yet, but I expected the denstep output to vary 0-10v with demand hence suspecting that bit.

Fortuately I have a spare control box so I'm not under short term pressure to sort this but I could do with repairing it so I can have a good spare again.

I'll have a look at the schematic if you beleive that the bottom interface board is the same between the denstep and nextmove controllers.

As always any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Barry M

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 06 Feb , 2012 16:40 pm

The bottom boards on that photo will have the same isloated spindle output as the newer machines.
It's only the earlier smartstep bottom boards which will have needed a seperate analogue output card (which plugged into the left hand side with a big ribbon)