Missing RS232 cable

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Steady
Hardware/Software: Scantek Micro Mill 2000 circa Oct 2004
No operational software as of yet.
No RS232 cable

Missing RS232 cable

Post by Steady » Thu 17 Mar , 2011 15:43 pm

Like many others on this forum, I have purchased a used Micro Mill (mine is a Scantek 2000) and do not have all of the peripherals (software, cable) Also I am not sure which version of the software mine was intended to be used with, as I see there have been many. After reading through some of the other issues and looking at the wiring diagrams a little, I have decided that the first thing I need is a functional RS232 cable. I am wondering if it is possible to just make one out of an old serial port cable and connecting the pins as shown on the diagrams that have appeared in this forum. Or, does Denford sell these? I have not had a lot of time to search the site for spare parts, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't sell them.

My second problem, but not for this thread, would be to find out what I need to do to get software. I know that they are several variants but I am wondering if any combination of hardware and softwre will work, or is the hardware matched to the software in some way?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Missing RS232 cable

Post by Martin » Thu 17 Mar , 2011 18:02 pm

Have you got a serial number for this machine?

The RS232 lead for this machine should be a straight pin to pin lead & not a crossover lead.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Fri 18 Mar , 2011 8:36 am

First of all contact our (Denford) agent for your area.

Klein Educational Systems
Klein, Chuck, President
628 Cantrill Drive
Davis, CA 95618
chuck@kleinedu.com

Territory – States of AZ, CA, HI, NV, OR, WA

Steady
Hardware/Software: Scantek Micro Mill 2000 circa Oct 2004
No operational software as of yet.
No RS232 cable

Post by Steady » Fri 18 Mar , 2011 17:12 pm

Ok yes I have the serial number- U00505/11

I will definitely contact my area rep and see if there is anything he can help with. In the meantime, based on Martin's reply, I am thinking that I can use any cable that I can properly fit from my computer's serial port to the mill? (since it is not a crossover type cable)

The mill looks to be in near perfect condition and I would like to try to use it as it is, but I also have the Sherline controller that I could hook up in the event that this doesn't work.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 18 Mar , 2011 17:24 pm

We supply a Lindy PC to Fax/Modem Serial Cable, 2m (9DF/25DM)

http://www.lindy.co.uk/shop/showProduct ... rce=search

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Mar , 2011 11:30 am

As far as I remember, the reason for shipping a different internal cable to the USA was because Pin to pin serial cables to connect machine to PC were very easy and cheap to pick up in any electrical store.
Times have changed and pretty much every peripheral is USB now, so you may have to look harder to find a 9 to 26 pin serial cable.
If you do make your own then go for shielded cable and try make it as short as possible.