Controlling the spindle via the Combivert inverter

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rickturner646
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3

Controlling the spindle via the Combivert inverter

Post by rickturner646 » Tue 08 Mar , 2011 0:01 am

It's probably just me being exceptionally dense, but I cannot figure out how to 'drive' the Combivert on my Easiturn lathe to control the spindle. I've read the manual that has been uploaded to this site, but still cant figure it out. To complicate matters, the wiring schematic in the PNC3 manual is slightly different to the Combivert manual, which doesnt help ...and both are different to what is actually on my machine.

So far, I think that I have figured out that:
  • +24v on the FWD port (pin 10) will make the spindle run forwards, or
    +24v on the REV port (pin 11) will make it run in reverse.
    The COM port (pin 18) is the 0v ground line for all the Combivert control lines
Then I run into trouble - the schematic says that the REF line is the speed output, and that the PP line is at +10v. The Combivert manual makes no mention of the PP connection (nor does it mention a +10v line) so I cant identify this port/pin or what it is for.

Also, I cant see how and where you provide a variable signal to control the speed - I assume that it would have to be 0-10v analogue, like most VFD's. Does this go to the REF line? I cant figure out why this would a speed *output* (since there is an encoder on the spindle).

Can anybody advise me here?

Regards and thanks,

Rick

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Controlling the spindle via the Combivert inverter

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 08 Mar , 2011 11:43 am

There are probably 3 pins for speed control..
0V
Command (Speed REFerence Input)
+10v

You'd normally wire up a 10K potentiometer so that
0v=Outside
REF=centre wiper
+10v=Other side

I'm a bit worried it talks about REF being speed OUTPUT though :?

rickturner646
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3

Post by rickturner646 » Tue 08 Mar , 2011 17:29 pm

I connected up a 10k pot as suggested, and.... it fried. The inverter gave an error code and shut down; seems ok though.

:shock:

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 09 Mar , 2011 13:20 pm

oops, sorry, I was hoping that what I said would give you a clue and make sense to what you are looking at (eg there was a little picture of a potentiometer on the connector screenprinting)

What is the drive model number, and can you post photos of the drive and connectors ?