PCI card

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

PCI card

Post by boots » Fri 12 Sep , 2008 20:06 pm

Miromill 2000 with a Denstep card.

The new computers only have USB ports.
Is it possible to install a PCI card with a serial port into the computer so that the computer can use the serial cable to connect to the machine?

Thanks

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 22 Sep , 2008 8:27 am

Yes its as easy as that :D

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 22 Sep , 2008 8:51 am

I would also recommend you use a PCI RS232 card rather than a USB type one.
The USB adaptors don't seem to act like genuine RS232 hardware, and cause lots of communication issues with the machines.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Mon 22 Sep , 2008 10:07 am

I just went and bought a Serial to USB cable adapter set, cost from local computer shop was £9.99 and comes with a CD with the right drivers etc, I now have a 25 pin connector at the machine and a USB 2 into the Laptop!!

I use the cable on a Denford Cyclone Lathe 1990 vintage with no problems at all.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 22 Sep , 2008 11:15 am

They seem to work ok at lower baudrates (eg 9600) but we have had no end of problems with the more recent controls which ran at 57600 baud.

I would also recommend spending a little bit more on a quality brand, whichever type you go for - there is a difference - if it means your machine runs without intermittent problems, then its worth the few extra dollars.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Mon 22 Sep , 2008 16:35 pm

They seem to work ok at lower baudrates (eg 9600) but we have had no end of problems with the more recent controls which ran at 57600 baud.
To be fair I am only running at 4800 baud rate, lathe, so the programs aren`t very big so not an issue for me!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 24 Sep , 2008 10:47 am

You are far better doing what you suggested orrigionally! Install a PCI card with a serial port. USB Serial port replicators do not always work :!:

Is it possible to install a PCI card with a serial port into the computer so that the computer can use the serial cable to connect to the machine?