Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing)

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing)

Post by Steve » Thu 27 Mar , 2008 12:01 pm

We have had several requests for information as to what are the requirements for portable appliance testing on Denford Machines.

IF THERE IS A LABEL ON THE SIDE OF THE MACHINE SAYING: DO NOT PAT TEST THEN DAMAGE COULD OCCUR TO THE EQUIPMENT IF IT IS TESTED.

Attached is a document covering the PAT Test requirements.
Attachments
Portable Appliance Testing on Denford Machines.pdf
(80.25 KiB) Downloaded 1384 times

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing)

Post by Steve » Mon 16 Apr , 2012 14:40 pm

From 2010 the manuals for machines have been changed and it is possible to PAT Test machines though some internal work may need to be done.

The following attachments show an example from the Router 2600PRO manual and also a general document on testing.
Attachments
Router 2600 Pro Operator Manual.pdf
(89.91 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times

Ali Kat
Hardware/Software: Novamill / Mach 3 / Gecko G540

Post by Ali Kat » Thu 28 Jun , 2012 18:36 pm

It should be noted that the Health & Safety Executive have recently issued guidance on PAT testing which basically syas that it's a waste of time. It is advising UK businesses to re-assess their PAt testing regime as millions of pounds are being spent unnecessarily.

For once I applaud the HSE for their stance as PAT testing has long been a cash cow for semi trained persons that don't really know what they are doing but can afford the "black box". A recent example of an over enthusiastic youngster at work who insisted that he was going to PAT test a 12 volt piece of equipment that I was using that was not connected to the mains unless it was being re-charged.

I am sure that there are very experienced electrical technicians out there that carry out PAT testing with due diligence but I also suspect that the they use the old fashioned Mk 1 eyeball at the same time to carry out the most important part of the inspection - does the power cord and sockets look in good condition or are they abused, frayed, damaged or otherwise not in good order. PAT testing machines if used without the dutiful visual inspection can indicate safe equipment when it is fairly obvuious that a few moe yanks on the power cord are going to result in a meeting of live and neutral conductors.

No doubt there will be some consternation to the above but lets hear the truth from the experienced techs, not those half day PAT course money spinners.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 29 Jun , 2012 10:47 am

I'm not sure it's a complete waste of time but I agree that physical inspection combined with experience is better than a 'kid' with a black box who's determined to zap everything that has a lead coming out of it :lol:
Every installation needs an experienced eye to asess the risks - if the advent of failure is very low and probably not hazardous to health then I don't really see the point in earth continuity or insulation testing (especially when expensive damage could be caused as a result)

The opinions expressed here are my own personal views and not those of the people, institutions or organizations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly. I am not responsible for any action, content, products or services or for any damages or losses, directly or indirectly, caused or alleged to have been caused as a result of your use or reliance on information posted here. This forum is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, association, company, or individual, or anyone or any thing, especially those with the ability and desire to fight back. I assume no responsibility for the content of any other or any products or services that may be offered through other sites. My intention is to do no harm, injury, defamation, or libel to others.

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by triac » Mon 19 Nov , 2012 23:31 pm

"Every installation needs an experienced eye to asess the risks - if the advent of failure is very low and probably not hazardous to health then I don't really see the point in earth continuity"

Sorry but have to disagree with the above statement regarding earth continuity testing on any Class 1 item, especially hand held Class 1 tools, loss of earth continuity could be fatal for the operator in the event of a fault.
I believe it is equally important to test earth continuity on fixed equipment including the Denford range if they require connection to earth, it is a requirement of the IEE regulations (was BS7671 now ?) that such tests are performed.

I agree with Ali that too many, often inexperienced people, got on the bandwagon with testing appliances, some good points raised about chords, plugs etc.

Rgds, Emgee