ZeroTurn 1008, 1017 alarms

Any information regarding the Denford ZeroCentre ZeroTurn ZeroBore Fanuc CNC machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Re: ZeroTurn 1008, 1017 alarms

Post by graydog » Tue 26 Feb , 2013 10:35 am

will do thanks...

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Fri 01 Mar , 2013 19:04 pm

eveing all,

just a note in on this thread....
new Mesa controller cards arrived from duzi.cz today for my interact refit.
I'll be running this on EMC2.
i'll blog the refit over on our solarcar website a and post a link soon to there.
the refit will not start till I sort an encoder to go from Fanuc to AB coding.
my have to write/make one as from what I've found OTS are a bit pricey.

respect
Graham

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Sun 03 Mar , 2013 19:12 pm

So how does it go....

Hand wheel works :D
Homing on (ish )
Reset motors with 8*00,
Setting completely different to the manual.
Switched the x-axis directions and tweaked software over ride

Z-axis started playing up some more, after a little while.
And became completely unstable, soon. As the axis drove, it tripped.
Well sat, soon as, I could drive it at 50mmper

So, switched lines between PC and servo board.
Problem switched axis.

Put cables back to correct place.
Switched servo power board to motor cables and encoder feed back cables.

Problem still switched axis and the both axis when run from the x control axis side of thing both run smooth..... and when connected to the z-axis sing and trip the cct.

So software is fine. Motors too. And cables.

It is something on the servo power side. I've got the logic card home to check for dry joints, and buzz the diode. If this does not resolve I'll extract the power board.

Almost there :-)

Regards
Graham

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 05 Mar , 2013 10:37 am

Great to hear it's almost working again !

Are you intending on retrofitting this machine or did you mean a Bridgeport Interact ?
Does that have analogue or digital axis and spindle drives?

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Tue 05 Mar , 2013 21:07 pm

[quote="
Are you intending on retrofitting this machine or did you mean a Bridgeport Interact ?
Does that have analogue or digital axis and spindle drives?[/quote]

the bridgeport, if I could not get the original system functioning then yes it would be the lath too. but as is seems to be there or there abouts it is a case of ' don't fix what ain't...etc'

the lathe is on digital and the mill analogue. well at least on the controller cards.
after tracking all the wiring and pluging unpluging etc... seems the lathe would be an easy refit to, (but 'case of....' above comes in to play)

the mill refit is a standard plug and play almost operation, with the minor fun of the fanuc encorder output. However, seems Linuxorg (EMC2) has made some interesting gains there, so I think it is goig to be alot easier then it use to be.

Will be trying to get this lathe spining asap as I've some new cycle and caving reflectors to make. The 5000rpm head should make for a very hgh lux surface. These lights are mxl T6 crees around 910lm @ about 12W. when you ride one of these http://bhpc.org.uk/quattro.aspx being able to see at 30mph on the flat is a must!!!

respects
G

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 06 Mar , 2013 10:38 am

Interesting link !
Those Cree LED's also look great but there seem to be a few fake ones out there (claiming 1000 lumens but probably delivering about 200)
It's be great to see what you end up making on the ZeroTurn :)

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 06 Mar , 2013 10:39 am

Interesting link !
Those Cree LED's also look great but there seem to be a few fake ones out there (claiming 1000 lumens but probably delivering about 200)

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Wed 06 Mar , 2013 10:53 am

Denford Admin wrote:Interesting link !

I get my crees in from Germany, and the are flippin bright!!! they also get quit warm. the 910lm is a max and many of the light units claiming upto 1800lm is posible with the right led and a good reflector. many are claiming software test reather than actual. it is clear just by looking at the unit power pack that they can not achive the lm claimed. To get the 910lm the device needs to run at 4V@3A. the xml T6 is 125deg, so puling all that light in to some 20deg beam is going to be fun!

it is going to be fun, and jobs building up already. frist is a new reflector 15mm max id 4.5mm min parabloa over 40-50mm.
the current units are 20mm long and 19mm max id.

next a new mirror housing for Quattor to mount the new lights, then a new motor for our solar cars www.solarcarwales.co.uk

respects
g

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Thu 07 Mar , 2013 16:08 pm

Ok quick up date,

I took the controler board home for a visual inspection and there was nothing that stood out, even buzzed the FETs and then seem to read about the same....

removed the blue clip headers and cleaned everything.

back to the workshop and the Z-axis... still failed!!!

so stripped out the control boards and the powerboard (please anyone reading this please please please make sure you discharge all circuits first, there is a big cap in there that WILL hurt you).

so the power board came out and switched the h-bridges over, on the under-standing 'if the problem moves' it is the bridge.
reassemble.
problem still on the Z-axis.

the red HC error led trips,
it is not the H-bridge.
with the blue header sockets of the Z-axis the system powers up ok and i can run other axis/head.
although the FETs seem to buzz out ok compared to each other my money is on those due to the HC error led.

so to save time I've ordered some from RS.
they will be here tomorrow.

regards
Graham

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 07 Mar , 2013 16:41 pm

Thanks for the update - photos of what you're doing and while stuff is apart would be helpful for anyone else.
How did you discharge the caps then ? :shock:

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Thu 07 Mar , 2013 17:01 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Thanks for the update - photos of what you're doing and while stuff is apart would be helpful for anyone else.
How did you discharge the caps then ? :shock:

I have photos of the ccts out and have others bits, it might be better that I make a new thread once complet or on the end of this thread.... it is getting long :delirious:

How did you discharge the caps then ? = carefully....... :fireworks:

best way to leave the machine powered down for a while, for the cap to discharge. just be very careful when moving the boards.

one mod that is needed!!! the power baord is held on via 4 button head screws. replace at least two of these (I'd say the top ones) with studed bar and nuts. this will allow you to refit the board by just haning it on the threads. it ia a pain to hold the board an refit the screws...

it is alway a good idea to check Voltage point with an Avo/Dvm for any floating power.
tbf there was 1.7Volts on it when i got to it.

rgd
g

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Mon 11 Mar , 2013 8:50 am

update:

FETS changed just in case....

systm fired up and not stable, bit2 on byte 10 set to stop VRDY error on start-up

Z-axis motor humming, clearly fighting within it's self.

double check all cables and cross check motor runs ok of the X-axis line.
check 8100 and 8200 (X- Z-) motor parms.

Control board rechecked for dry joints.

whilst replacing the control baord the same problem appeared on X-!!!

crumbes... it turned out to be the blue hearder plug not seated correctly.
reseated and working again.

so attention focused on blue header plug, down. reseating the plug the Z- would play ball to a point. Then start to trip again.

next is to check the connecting piles down to the H-bridges.

the thing I can not find any data on is the DV44 Hybrid chips. whist every thing seems to buzz out, one axis compared to the other, There seems to be a channel down within the Z-.

all fun and games, using th emacjine allready for polishing cycle light refectors, whist cnc turning them on the boxford concept121

respect g

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 11 Mar , 2013 10:08 am

What does the axis error display show when the Z is fighting ? In the last few diagnostic bits IIRC
Could it be a broken wire - it sounds as though you can get it to behave sometimes ?
I think you've already swapped stuff around to rule things out but have you gone through and swapped motors, swapped wiring to the motors etc..etc. ?
Good luck anyway and try post photos - it may jog someone's memory :)

Also worth noting that http://www.pennineuk.com/ have (or used to have) spare Thyristor modules and other bits and pieces for the old fanuc digital drives

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Mon 11 Mar , 2013 10:18 am

morning,

yes swaped just about everything i can. cross wired X50,51,52 wires with Z50....etc flipped the encoder cables and can drive the Z-axis lover of X- control pannel buttons (and wheel ;), andthe fault jumps on to the X-axis.

wire/ bad contact/ dry joint.... sounds very much like.

I'll check out the website..thanks
Graham

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Sun 17 Mar , 2013 22:48 pm

Appols for the delay in update.....
Been doing more pedaling then working :-)

OK here it is! It is the blue header socket! Well either that or it just happens to solve when moved.

Double checked all joints, replaced the mosfets, cleaned a track that was bust.

Plugged all back in and the problem maintained,
Removed the blue header socket, let the machine settle,
Plugged the blue header socket back in.
The machine stated to misbehave, jigged the plug and the Zero turn kicked in.

10m/min!!!!! Wow....
Time to play
I'll try write up over the Easter vac.

Edit: should have said, metal has been cut! Only test bars but still. There is a need now to get some more 16mm tip tools. I've two and some tool steel, my iscar left gander was lent the the last owners o this lathe. The holder was stripped to repair a right handed tool:-( .

Respects
Graham

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 18 Mar , 2013 10:07 am

That's great news. Apart from the small memory, that machine should be very useful :)

graydog
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by graydog » Mon 18 Mar , 2013 10:13 am

Denford Admin wrote:............. Apart from the small memory, that machine should be very useful :)

Matches the user in this case then :-)
Guess if it gets to be an issue I can sort it then..... there are a few extra dils on the m/b.